Sky Pirates of the Nullarbor Coast: Kawanishi H6K5 (finished pics pg9)

Started by zenrat, November 01, 2017, 01:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Plan is a fifth engine will protrude from the front of the top of the conning tower behind which Captain Fat Hamster will command it from his flying bridge.  And behind him there will be a 20mm Oerlikon cannon on a naval deck mounting.

Imagine if someone Eric mounted the nose of a Mustang on the conning tower of a U Boat and you'll get the idea.
As I believe I may have previously mentioned this may also get a periscope and snorkel mast and a crows nest.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TheChronicOne

Ambitious.  This GB is right up your alley it would seem!!   :mellow: :mellow:
-Sprues McDuck-

ericr

Quote from: zenrat on December 02, 2017, 05:28:27 AM
Imagine if someone Eric mounted the nose of a Mustang on the conning tower of a U Boat and you'll get the idea.

oh, nice idea, tempting  :wacko:

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on December 02, 2017, 05:11:15 AM
"Lacky" not lucky.  As in elastic.

F##king auto correct.

:angry: :banghead:

Right, I'm trying to come to grips with a tablet whilst travelling  :banghead:

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Cracking looking device. Will it have tip floats or Dornier style 'seawings'?

And do some of the crew inhabit the conning tower? A Catalina's flight engineer sits inside the wing pylon, so there's a precedent for that.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

There will be portholes in the conning tower indicating something is going on in there.
She'll have outrigger floats.  As there will be a dinghy slung under each wing there will be a fairly complicated structure to build under there with crew access walkways to the boats.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat

A slight problem with the fifth engine/flying bridge/gun design.
Originally I was going to mount the nacelle directly to the wing but a combination of Lancaster props (bigger diameter than stock Kawanishi) and the closeness of #2 & #3 engines means the whole thing will have to be raised on struts.
So i've started building a platform that will combine all 3 things into a homogenous whole.
I also slathered some filler onto the fuselage and shortened the conning tower.

Fred

TheChronicOne

SLATHER IT UUUUUP!  Wooo, Partay!  I actually like the sound of the raised up 5th engine and stuff on struts.  :mellow: :mellow:
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Wings Kit would be proud of...
Kawanishi H6K5 WIP 22-12-17 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
...and more sinkmarks than you could shake a stick at.  I'm leaving them.  They are dents showing she's had a hard life...
:o
Fred

Steel Penguin

:thumbsup:
looks splendid, and it looks right, the stretch on the wings dosnt make them look out of proportion.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

PR19_Kit

YEEEEAAAAHHHHHHH! Way to go Fred!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

zenrat

I think you may misunderstand.  Those are the stock wings.  I was just surprised by how long they are despite it being listed on the box lid.  Its a span of over 500mm.  Looks a bit Albatrossy.
Mind you, give the way they go together with the ends separate from the centre section it would not be to much work to use two kits to build a six engined version.

Today I built a simple stand for it to sit in.  I might build a beaching trolley in the future (I don't like the bolt on beaching wheels they supply with the kit) but this will do for now.
Fred

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on December 23, 2017, 02:02:53 AM

Mind you, give the way they go together with the ends separate from the centre section it would not be to much work to use two kits to build a six engined version.

I can't think of a single reason why you shouldn't do that. Apart from the need to get a World Bank loan to by another kit of course.

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-