Very mildly whiffy Ukrainian BRDM-2 - DONE - pic's pg.1

Started by Old Wombat, November 02, 2017, 08:16:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

Started this build over a week ago but it's stalled for most of the week due to RW (work) interference.

It's only very slightly whiffy, as it's really a late-model Russian version of the venerable BRDM-2 on which I'll be putting a Ukrainian-esque camo scheme & markings.

I'm in no rush, as it's a relaxation build, & going to be a counter-point to my ASLAV 1A2 in a diorama (the ASLAV 1A2 concept being that it was a modern Western equivalent to the BRDM-2).

My ASLAV 1A2

Trumpeter's box art

Proper pic's when I get time ('Tis Spring & the weeds have sprung!).
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

chrisonord

I will be watching this, as I am a fan of Russian/ soviet armour  :thumbsup:
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Old Wombat

Well, I failed to keep this updated, didn't I! :blink:

As the build is, finally, nearing completion, I think I'll just raise this thread from the dead. :wacko:

It's slightly more whiffy than I intended, but not by much. ;)

nighthunter

"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Old Wombat

Unfortunately a search through my computer has revealed that I have failed to keep a photo log of WiP. :banghead:

I rather liked the interior, so, once the painting, decals, weathering, etc., is finished & I can pop the turret off, I'll try to get some pictures of the inside while doing the finished shots. :thumbsup:

Old Wombat

So, here we are with the finished product. It will be placed in a diorama but I have, yet, to finalise my decision on how that will be done.

Right! Pictures! Let's start with what I could get of the interior;

Now, on to the exterior;

Group photo's;

Ukrainian BRDM-2 & RAM ASLAV 1A2 (front view)

Ukrainian BRDM-2 & RAM ASLAV 1A2 (top view)

"Someone tell Boris smoko's over, to put his bloody headphones on & get his arse into gear!"

Ukrainian TOW-turret LAV-150, Ukrainian BRDM-2 & RAM ASLAV 1A2 (front view)

Ukrainian TOW-turret LAV-150, Ukrainian BRDM-2 & RAM ASLAV 1A2 (top view)

RAM ASLAV 1A2, Ukrainian BRDM-2 & Ukrainian TOW-turret LAV-150 (front quarter view)

Anyway, that's it for photo's.

Had an issue with the SMS clear gloss I used, which is a tiny bit milky (However, I think it may be a semi-gloss but that's not what it says on the label) & it mucked up the transparencies, especially the front windscreens, so I closed up the worst effected one & the other isn't too visible. It also really bites into the clear styrene & softens it (until it dries).

Then I changed my mind about the commander & did another figure for that.

:cheers:

Guy

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

That does look he business mate, especially the interior  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Thank you very much, gentlemen! :bow: :bow:

With the interior paint work I tried to capture the look of (I think quite successfully) several "refurbished" BRDM's I'd seen images of, which seemed to have mostly consisted of an exterior paint job. ;D

buzzbomb

Lots of great work there Guy.
That interior, and the figures on the BRDM work so well :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Dizzyfugu

Old Wombat

zenrat

Very good.
:thumbsup:

I never clearcoat over transparencies.  Too much can go wrong.  I may dip them in Future (or whatever self levelling acrylic floor shine is called today where you are) before fitting them but that can easilly be stripped off with windex if need be.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Thanks, Fred! :thumbsup:

This is the first time I've had a problem with any gloss coat on transparencies, so I'll be pretty wary in the future.

Haven't been able to find any acrylic/styrene based floor polishes around here for years!

The SMS clear "gloss" had a milky appearance similar to the last "Future" type polish I had, so I thought it may be something akin to that ... Nope! And it looked more "semi-gloss/satin" when it dried, which has me wondering if, maybe, a batch of semi-gloss/satin was incorrectly packaged.

... A few minutes later ...

Just checked out their paint range & they don't, actually, have a semi-gloss/satin but they do have a "Super Clear Gloss". Hmmm!?

zenrat

I have some SMS super clear gloss.  It is not milky.  Maybe you have a contaminated batch?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..