DONE @p.2 +++ Post-war Heinkel He 70 floatplane, Scandinavian Airline System

Started by Dizzyfugu, November 04, 2017, 01:28:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Straightforward idea - even though it started as a military aircraft (even though this one might materialze later, too), this one will be a civil aircraft. The decision fell when I came across a Ju 52/3m sheet (Italeri) which features an SAS machine - and after some legwork I found that these machines were still in use in the Fifties. So, why not add a smaller aircraft on floats for the remote regions, e. g. for postal service?

Kit basis is the Matchbox He 70, and the floats will come from the KP Letov 328, a popular donor source. ;)

Dizzyfugu

Updates pending due to an in-between real-world model for the Arawasi Wild Eagles blog in Japan. Pics and WiP starting soon.  <_<

Dizzyfugu

Here we go. As already mentioned, the floats from a KP Letov 328. They are still a bit petites for the He 70, and their "track" is rather narrow. but it works. Assembly needs some PSR.

1:72 Heinkel He 70K floatplane of the Scandinavian Airlines System (SAS), northern Norway, 1949 (Whif/Matchbox kit conversion) - WiP
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

The kit is a Revell re-boxing of the Matchbox He 70, and the kit is a PITA. Gone are the days when Im thought that a Mtahcbox kit was simple, but would go together well. Here, nothing really fits, PSR everywhere, this thing SUCKS. Since the small windows do not allow much view inside, the interior is kept at a minimum detail level. The IP side windows will later be replaced by ClearFix alternatives, while the cockpit canopy is so small that only the pilot's head can be seen.

1:72 Heinkel He 70K floatplane of the Scandinavian Airlines System (SAS), northern Norway, 1949 (Whif/Matchbox kit conversion) - WiP
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

The machine will be built with the radial engine option (more suitable for a "bush aircraft" operating in the Far North), and the primitive OOB "engine plate" is replaced by a deeper and much better detailed resin piece found in the scrap box (IIRC, left over from a converted ArtModel Polikarpov I-185). It fits snuggly inside the OOB front end, even though the ring cover needs some tuning on the inside. The propeller is new, too (from a Fw 190, IIRC), mated with a new axis.

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

And with some paint, things look agreeable:

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Dizzyfugu

Now with the cowling completed:

1:72 Heinkel He 70K floatplane, 'LN-KME' of the Scandinavian Airlines System (SAS), northern Norway, 1949 (Whif/Matchbox kit conversion) - WiP
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

The floats are also complete - a wobbly affair! They will be painted seperately, since I will use a rattle can for the overall NMF finish of this one. Mounting them to the aircraft is triky, though, since the He 70 belly is not even and the Letov 328's struts are far from even, too. But I already have an idea how I will be able to mount them and balance gaps, too.

1:72 Heinkel He 70K floatplane, 'LN-KME' of the Scandinavian Airlines System (SAS), northern Norway, 1949 (Whif/Matchbox kit conversion) - WiP
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

And the rest of the He 70 also comes together. Pls. note that EVERY seam needs some PSR treatment. The original landing gear wells also disappear under a coat of putty.

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

I hope you have shares in Presto Thomas, the rate you're using it on this one should bring in a good dividend!  ;D

It looks very sleek, and the new engine/cowling suits it very well.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

loupgarou

Interesting build. I didn't know the He 70 came with a radial option. Will have to have a look at mine.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Dizzyfugu

Thanks a lot. The radial He 70K (later re-designated He 170) was a variant for Hungary, and the Matchbox kit is AFAIK the only option if you want to build one OOB. The ICM He 70 is only available with the original inline engine - but it looks like the much better model kit option.

Besides, the He 70 really is a sleek aircraft, and it is bigger than I expected. It's amazing that this big thing was able to outpace contemporary fighters with just a single engine! And the good thing: even with the radial engine and the floats the machine does not lose much of its elegance, I am really looking forward to the outcome.

Work makes good progress, though. Due to the floats the crew and potential passengers will need boarding ladders (using the He 115 as a benchmark) - and I know that I have some PE ladders somewhere, but could not find them...  :angry: So I improvise, and convert window frames from a H0 scale American industrial building into boarding aids.  :rolleyes:

1:72 Heinkel He 70K floatplane, 'LN-KME' of the Scandinavian Airlines System (SAS), northern Norway, 1949 (Whif/Matchbox kit conversion) - WiP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Looks better than most OOB solutions!  ;D

Further preparations for painting with masking and window plugs...

1:72 Heinkel He 70K floatplane, 'LN-KME' of the Scandinavian Airlines System (SAS), northern Norway, 1949 (Whif/Matchbox kit conversion) - WiP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

...and the result of the basic coat; as mentioned before, this is acrylic paint from a rattle can, a Duplicolor tone called "Weissaluminium" - which, on the reference sample, rather looks like a paint than a true NMF; at first I was sceptical about the mica particles' size when the paint was still fresh, but once dry the coat looks very good and even, and more like NMF than expected:

zenrat

Looking good Dizz.
It wouldn't take much to make one of these into a De Havilland product.  Pre war single engined "Mosquito" maybe?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

Well, the He 70 was a serious inspiration for the Spitfire's wings... Besides, progress is a bit slow, since I am waiting for a decal set from UK. With time at hand, the floats receive some attention - the were outfitted with mooring anchors, new rudders (one OOB piece got lost, they are very fragile and wobbly) and walking planks.

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

In order to add some more "color" I decided to paint the underwater parts of the floats in black. Not a good idea - at least the Tamiya tape I used for a clean demarcation line...  :-\

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Painting went fine, but when I removed the tape wide sections of the alu paint came off with them. Hmpf.
Anyway, I will try to use the damage creatively and not sand it off or overpaint the damage with silver - I'll rather use a grey primer, as if some real world damage would have been repaired. After all, it's a kind of bush aircraft.

Dizzyfugu

...and this is what the floats look like after "repairs"; not pretty, but I hope the scars later add some realism:

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

On the aircraft itself, a black cowling was added, a HO scale pilot figure added to the cockpit (it's tight and the canopy so thick that I could not fit an 1:72 pilot inside...) and I started with decals at hand, for the civil registration code on the wings:

Dizzyfugu

An addendum, after some further detail work:

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

I hope the SAS decals arrive soon - I originally had hoped to get along with the Ju 52 decals and leftover bits from an 1:144 Caravelle in SAS service, but I need more retro-looking material.
I eventually found a set for SAS Convair CV440 Metropolitans (from 26models), but it might take some time until the sheet arrives and things can move on properly.  :unsure:

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Dizzyfugu

Still waiting for the decals, another kit has been finished in the meantime (soon to be posted elsewhere).

Dizzyfugu

Good news here, somewhat: finally received note that my decal order was handed over to the postal service. Can only take some more weeks until it crosses the Channel...

In the meantime I've started another project, the "Seeschwalbe", as a second entry in the GB.