AvPro Marauder (1/72)

Started by jalles, November 04, 2017, 03:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwomby

Glenn Gilbertson

I am lost in admiration - superb in every way! :bow: :thumbsup:

Weaver

Can I ask a question please Jalles? How did you do the canopy?

I've been going through the thread, but there's nothing between it being a solid lump of plastic and putty and suddenly having a lovely clear canopy.... :unsure:

It's a gorgeous model - well done!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

jalles

Hey Weaver,

So that solid lump of plastic and putty was just the mold or buck for vacu-forming.  Here's a pic of the the vac-formed piece:

It's primed so it looks grey, but that whole piece is actually clear.  The portion that's blue aft of the cockpit is blue painters tape on the underside. There was a small circular depression that I was trying to smooth out and I sanded trough the primer and it was clear again so you could see the painters tape underneath.

Then I just masked off where I wanted the canopy to be, as you can see in the pic above I had that part of the model roughly masked off just so it wouldn't get scratched during the build process.

If that doesn't explain it let me know, I can probably take a few pics of left over pieces to make it more clear.

Cheers,

Jason

PR19_Kit

You moulded the ENTIRE top of the model in clear plastic?  :o

RESPECT!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jalles

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 05, 2018, 09:37:09 AM
You moulded the ENTIRE top of the model in clear plastic?  :o

RESPECT!

Ha, ha! It was just laziness because I thought it would be more difficult to try to PSR a clear canopy into the flowing lines of the cockpit area.  This way there are no seams to fill for the clear section.

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Such an obvious and simple way of doing it (like all the best ideas) that it didn't occur to me.
:banghead:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

Quote from: jalles on March 05, 2018, 09:28:17 AM
Hey Weaver,

So that solid lump of plastic and putty was just the mold or buck for vacu-forming.  Here's a pic of the the vac-formed piece:

It's primed so it looks grey, but that whole piece is actually clear.

Ah, right: I missed  the vac-forming bit. Obvious way to do it with hindsight: same principle as those vehicle or helicopter kits where the whole cab is clear and you paint over the solid bits.

Since you have molds for the whole thing, you might well be able to sell a few copies of the vac forms, hypothetically speaking... ;)

Do you mind if I put some pics up on Twitter (with full credit to you of course?) I talk to a bunch of modellers on there and they'll be highly interested.

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Nick

Absolutely incredible, well done!  :wub:

Perhaps you could drop the next one into a mould or laser scan it for 3D printing?

TheChronicOne

HMMMMM...  yeah.... Go into business, bud!!! Get that money!!!   And... I'd buy something.  :mellow:
-Sprues McDuck-

jalles

Quote from: Weaver on March 05, 2018, 10:22:31 PM

Since you have molds for the whole thing, you might well be able to sell a few copies of the vac forms, hypothetically speaking... ;)

Ha, I'm not sure if I'd want to put anyone through the process of building one of these, at least without signing a waiver that resolves me of responsibility for any adverse impact to their mental health.

That being said, if you (or someone you know) really wants to put themselves through the mental anguish I'd be happy to facilitate such misery.  ;)

Quote from: Weaver on March 05, 2018, 10:22:31 PM

Do you mind if I put some pics up on Twitter (with full credit to you of course?) I talk to a bunch of modellers on there and they'll be highly interested.

Go right ahead, I think that would be great!  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Nick on March 06, 2018, 03:35:27 AM
Perhaps you could drop the next one into a mould or laser scan it for 3D printing?

You know, my brother-in-law has a 3D printer that I was going to use to make the molds, but alas it wasn't working so I had to make them the old fashion way.  :angry:

sandiego89

So what is your method of vac forming?  Old mattel toy kit or something more modern? 

Great build. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

jalles

Quote from: sandiego89 on March 06, 2018, 02:23:38 PM
So what is your method of vac forming?  Old mattel toy kit or something more modern? 

It's something I bought through a magazine advertisement pre-internet (or very early internet at least).

Here's a pic:

It's essentially a wooden box with a bunch of holes in it.  You put the plastic sheet in the metal holder with the clips, heat it in the oven and plug your household vacuum in the side.  It's pretty basic but works well.

NARSES2

I do remember seeing adverts for those or something very similar many years ago. I also swear I saw one being demonstrated somewhere once ? Maybe at a Model Engineers Exhibition in London ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.