AvPro Marauder (1/72)

Started by jalles, November 04, 2017, 03:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 07, 2018, 12:55:03 AM

I do remember seeing adverts for those or something very similar many years ago. I also swear I saw one being demonstrated somewhere once ? Maybe at a Model Engineers Exhibition in London ?

That's for sure. When I helped out on the Riko stand at the ME Show in the 70s-80s there was a firm across the way selling those. They were a bit like Proops, one of those 'We sell every tool you ever need' traders. I wish I'd bought one then!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Ah, that timeline fits for when I was a regular attender at the show Kit
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Wouldn't be too difficult to make.  Although drilling all those holes would be a PitA.
Getting the fitting for the vacuum cleaner might be tricky.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

Quote from: jalles on March 06, 2018, 09:08:50 AM
Quote from: Weaver on March 05, 2018, 10:22:31 PM

Since you have molds for the whole thing, you might well be able to sell a few copies of the vac forms, hypothetically speaking... ;)

Ha, I'm not sure if I'd want to put anyone through the process of building one of these, at least without signing a waiver that resolves me of responsibility for any adverse impact to their mental health.

That being said, if you (or someone you know) really wants to put themselves through the mental anguish I'd be happy to facilitate such misery.  ;)

Quote from: Weaver on March 05, 2018, 10:22:31 PM

Do you mind if I put some pics up on Twitter (with full credit to you of course?) I talk to a bunch of modellers on there and they'll be highly interested.

Go right ahead, I think that would be great!  :thumbsup:

Thanks, but I haven't even slightly got the skills to put any sort of vac-form together.

I've put the pics up. I'll let you know of any interesting/amusing replies.  :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

sandiego89

Thank you for posting your vac-u-form picture. I do recal those.  I wonder what Mrs. sandiego89 would think about me putting a strange box in the oven and hooking up the vacuum....
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sandiego89 on March 07, 2018, 09:14:04 AM

Thank you for posting your vac-u-form picture. I do recal those.  I wonder what Mrs. sandiego89 would think about me putting a strange box in the oven and hooking up the vacuum....

Just a matter of negotiation, persuasion and blatant bribery. That should sort it.   ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

jalles

Quote from: sandiego89 on March 07, 2018, 09:14:04 AM
I wonder what Mrs. sandiego89 would think about me putting a strange box in the oven and hooking up the vacuum....

Sorry, I didn't explain that very well.  You only put the metal frame with the clips (and your plastic sandwiched in between) in the oven.  The box stays outside the oven.  When you see the plastic sag in the middle, you rapidly remove it from the oven and almost simultaneously place it on the box and start the vacuum.

loupgarou

Quote from: zenrat on March 07, 2018, 01:20:36 AM
Wouldn't be too difficult to make.  Although drilling all those holes would be a PitA.
Getting the fitting for the vacuum cleaner might be tricky.

Yes, I too think it would be easy. Just boring for the drilling. Shouldn't be difficult to epoxi a short length of a discarded vacuum cleaner pipe to the box.
And the metal frame looks like a mosquito net one. I have already cut them to size (for other uses). Very cheap and easy to cut.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

KiwiZac

Oh Jalle, it's beautiful. From the bottom of my heart well done! I love it!!!

I want it. A vacform maybe? I want this in my life!!!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on March 07, 2018, 04:55:19 PM

Thia guy's selling an A4-sized hobby vac-former (like this one) on ebay for £45: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A4-Vacuum-Forming-Kit/273065428125?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49920%26meid%3Dc9ab1a21304b4bbabce5c071597eb945%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D2%26sd%3D273097767204%26itm%3D273065428125&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

He also does an A5 one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A5-Vacuum-Former-Forming-Kit/273097767204?hash=item3f95e53924:g:FEsAAOSwyXNaPVDQ

That guy lives about 10 miles from me!  :o

I feel a short road trip coming on.....................  ;D

[Later] Well I would be if I could actually get eBay to work!!!  :banghead:

[Even later] Sorted.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

loupgarou

Quote from: Weaver on March 07, 2018, 04:55:19 PM
Thia guy's selling an A4-sized hobby vac-former (like this one) on ebay for £45: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A4-Vacuum-Forming-Kit/273065428125?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49920%26meid%3Dc9ab1a21304b4bbabce5c071597eb945%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D2%26sd%3D273097767204%26itm%3D273065428125&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

He also does an A5 one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A5-Vacuum-Former-Forming-Kit/273097767204?hash=item3f95e53924:g:FEsAAOSwyXNaPVDQ

It looks quite professionally done. Really intersting.And he gives also an useful tip:
"You can also use a paint stripping heat gun to help the plastic to form tightly around difficult forms "

Thanks for the link.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

jalles

Quote from: KiwiZac on March 07, 2018, 07:51:49 PM
Oh Jalle, it's beautiful. From the bottom of my heart well done! I love it!!!

I want it. A vacform maybe? I want this in my life!!!

Thanks kind sir!

I'm not sure if you want to build one, but I'd be happy to send you my molds since I want nothing to do with them anymore  ;)

KiwiZac

Be careful what I wish for, I guess...especially as I have a vac machine I've not tried yet...
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

FAR148

A little late on this one but still amazing and inspiring work! :wub:

Looking forward to your next built! :thumbsup:
Steven