ISO: 1/72 F-84F Canopy

Started by TheChronicOne, November 09, 2017, 04:34:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

Long shot perhaps, but I could use one! I have the Airfix/MPC kit and the canopy was busted in two. I glued it back together but no amount of polishing or wishful thinking can do away with the "crack" going through it.

I could always just buy another kit to get it but then I'll always have a kit sitting around missing a canopy. Other option is to paint it black, on the outside, to "tint" it but I don't want to do that..

Thanks!!
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

If an Italeri Thunderstreak canopy would fit I have a spare one or two. I don't have an Airfix one to check with, or I don't think I have anyway.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

Falcon do one for the F-84 e, is the f a 2 seat version or different to the e?
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: chrisonord on November 09, 2017, 08:03:06 AM

The F is a very different aircraft as it's the swept wing, Thunderstreak, derivative of the original straight wing Thunderjet. The canopies are very different, as is almost everything else.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 09, 2017, 06:10:01 AM
If an Italeri Thunderstreak canopy would fit I have a spare one or two. I don't have an Airfix one to check with, or I don't think I have anyway.

Ah ha!!! Glorious! That is actually something I can  (I think) check because I picked up an Italeri Thunderflash not too long ago and I would imagine they are one and the same. I'll have to break the seal but who cares. I'll open 'er up in a bit and see what develops. Thanks!

-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

The 'flash is the PR version of the Thunderstreak with cameras in the nose and wing root intakes. To my mind it's a nicer looking aircraft too. Both types were spread all over Europe as LOADS of airforces had them here under a US aid scheme.

Your Italeri 'flash canopy should fit without too many problems I reckon.

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

Cheers for the heads up Kit, every day is a school day🤓
If the canopy fits properly, you could time share it between them. Would it be difficult to make a vac form replica of one ? Not that I would attempt such a thing, as the mere mention of the wordage "vac form" has me hiding behind the couch 😱
Chris

TheChronicOne

;D ;D

You and me both, Chris!  That said, I'd imagine that as making parts go using vacuform, canopies are probably one of the simplest but I sure I ain't going to build the contraption and mess with it. I'm too lazy for all that.  ;D ;D ;D

Now for the sad news, the Italeri and Airfix stuff won't be compatible. Not even with "adjusting" things. In fact, the Airfix canopy fits entirely inside the Italeri one meaning the Italri is way too large in almost every dimension.

I'll bide my time and something will turn up eventually. I'm in no hurry on this, I just figured it prudent to post this now in case it does take a while.

Going to try to make every Thunderbirds plane I can, be them the demo team, support craft, whatever. I bought the 5 plane Hasegawa set or whatever, and oddly enough, while the Thud was only active for like... 5 flights or something, while the F 84F stuck around a full season, the Thud was included and this 'Streak was not. Was it that Hasegawa never made an F-84F, at least back then? Either way, I have this Airfix one and it even came in the T-birds marking, but the decals are trashed. Lucked out and found a microscale set yesterday for CHEAP CHEAP so I'll buy them very soon unless someone beats me to it...      This is what prompted to start asking around for the canopy.

(OK OK STORY TIME IS OVER... starting to get long winded again  ;D ;D ;D  )
-Sprues McDuck-

chrisonord

Do you know anyone that does resin moulding??
Perhaps a clear resin copy could be made using the original as the master?
Just another avenue to travel perhaps.
Chris

TheChronicOne

Quote from: chrisonord on November 09, 2017, 12:25:53 PM
Do you know anyone that does resin moulding??
Perhaps a clear resin copy could be made using the original as the master?
Just another avenue to travel perhaps.
Chris

'Fraid not!

Worse comes to worse I'll just pick up another Airfix/MPC kit and swap them.  Then I can take this broken canopy and put a "sun screen" or "anti flash deflector" or whatever on it to hide the crack and use it on a WHIF subject. Kind of like the solid piece on a U2 Spyplane canopy. I'd do it on this one, now, but It's going to be "real-world" so that particular fix is out of the question.
-Sprues McDuck-

chrisonord

One will turn up I am sure, I have been looking to see if anyone does vac form ones but nothing as yet. If you got a vac form one they usually come with a couple of them in case you get over enthusiastic cutting them out. But you will still need to come out from behind the couch to cut them out🤔
Chris

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 09, 2017, 08:50:44 AM

The F is a very different aircraft as it's the swept wing, Thunderstreak, derivative of the original straight wing Thunderjet. The canopies are very different, as is almost everything else.

The YF-84F and YRF-84F prototypes were very interesting with their F-84E/G style canopy.

YF-84F and YRF-84F prototypes in 1952.

TheChronicOne

;D ;D ;D  Yeah brotha!! I know what you mean.

That's another thing.. I do NOT like trimming vacuform stuff. I've only done it... ONCE, but that was well enough for me. I muddled through OK but made a boo-boo on it. And, this was on a REALLY simple, one piece U2 Spyplane (this thing again, I just mentioned it now it's back!  ;D ;D ) windscreen/canopy set.  :o :o  I simply don't like doing... kind of like how I don't like masking canopies. This is not to say I'd shy away from a vac canopy or will refuse to buy a kit that has them (I have quite a few, in fact) it's just one of those type of things I'd like to avoid if at all possible.

People that put together whole vacuform kits have my utmost respect and admiration.  :mellow:
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on November 09, 2017, 12:44:20 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 09, 2017, 08:50:44 AM

The YF-84F and YRF-84F prototypes were very interesting with their F-84E/G style canopy.

YF-84F and YRF-84F prototypes in 1952.

Oh cool!! I hadn't seen those in my meanderings.   :mellow: :mellow: :mellow:   Kind of "Franken-plane" vibe going on here.  Was there ever a configuration like that but with the nose intake??   

I'm starting to get crazy ideas....     :banghead: ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Darn it, trust Airfix and Italeri to be using different scale rules when they built their masters. Ah, maybe ones in Metric and the other's Imperial?   ;D

I don't think Hasegawa ever made a 1/72 scale F-84F. IIRC they did do a 1/48 scale one, but that'll be WELL over large for your purposes!

Regards
Kit