Supermarine Type 327

Started by The Wooksta!, November 13, 2017, 12:39:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wooksta!

"Seventeen tracks and I've had it with this game."

Reet.  Here we gan!

Very unassuming box.  I'm assuming that the actual release will have some kind of artwork or info on it.

Oooh!  Look at what we have in here!

Lots of nice resin bits, but no instructions.  Again, the actual release will have some, but as I'm a modeller with a modicum of intelligence (pause for sarcastic response), I'm sure I won't actually need them. 

Let's have a closer look at some bits.  It all looks to be beautifully mastered and cast.

Fuselage halves with some nice moulded in detail.  I'm a bit concerned as to quite where I'll have to fit the weight to keep it on it's nosegear...

Engine cowlings.  Those pouring lugs look to be rather fearsome beasts to have to remove...

The wings.  The pouring lugs here look to be quite substantial but in reality were fairly easy to remove and clean up with a scalpel.  The cockpit internals are to the bottom left and are quite comprensive.  May need some tape belts and possibly rudder pedals, but that's for later.

The tail feathers.  The moulding seam at the base of the tailfin does need some judicious sanding.

The props.  I've a feeling these may be handed.

Two canopies are provided but for some reason, I haven't uploaded any photos.  Anyhoo, let's see how far we've got.

Moulding lugs removed but it were a battle!

And all taped up.  The cockpit parts are a little snug to get into place, whilst the moulded in locator tabs on the wings need a slight trim to get the positioning just right.  In addition, one of the engine cowls - the port I think - will need a slight sanding on the wing inserts to get a better fit.

And  finally, an underside shot.

"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Tophe

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 15, 2017, 07:25:58 AM
I did fight the Unicraft kit and I think I won ?  :rolleyes:
It's on site here somewhere
I found this first Supermarine 327 marvel... :wub:
It is at http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,25675.0.html
(the 4 pictures of #5, click on them as they are not victims of the Photobucket disaster)
Congratulations Narses2!
And this is a good inspiration for The Wooksta!
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

NARSES2

Well done for finding those Tophe, I forgot it was on here !

That does look nice Lee. I definitely need 1 or 2
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Wooksta!

"Breaking my back just to know your name, but heaven ain't close in a place like this."

Colin should be at Huddersfield and I think it'll get a proper release there.

Quote from: Tophe on January 15, 2018, 09:36:19 PM
Quote from: NARSES2 on November 15, 2017, 07:25:58 AM
I did fight the Unicraft kit and I think I won ?  :rolleyes:
It's on site here somewhere
I found this first Supermarine 327 marvel... :wub:
It is at http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,25675.0.html
(the 4 pictures of #5, click on them as they are not victims of the Photobucket disaster)
Congratulations Narses2!

I don't need inspiration - I know exactly what I'm doing with this beast and I've plenty of ideas for the few others that will follow.  I don't plan on any tropical versions as Chris has already done one and having test fitted the alternate tropical intakes that come with it, I don't particularly like the fit.

I'd like to do a few of the other variations on the type - the predecessors - but that means having to get one of the Unicrap abortions...
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Tophe

Quote from: The Wooksta! on January 16, 2018, 03:41:43 AM
Quote from: Tophe on January 15, 2018, 09:36:19 PM
I don't need inspiration - I know exactly what I'm doing

I would like you'd be inspired by weird derivatives like this 327Z... :-\ ;D
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

NARSES2

Quote from: The Wooksta! on January 16, 2018, 03:41:43 AM

Colin should be at Huddersfield and I think it'll get a proper release there.

Cheers Lee
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Wooksta!

"Anything goes but don't blink you might miss!"

It's together and the first coat of primer is curing.  Photos to follow at some point soon.  I doubt I'll have it completely finished but it'll be at 'uddersfield regardless.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

DogfighterZen

Looking forward to seeing this finished, that's a gorgeous airplane of which i haven't heard or seen much of.

:cheers:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

The Wooksta!

"Bring it back down, bring it back down tonight."

Paint is on and looks eggshell.  Very happy with that, so the decals are going on soon.  Might - just might - have it finished and ready for Sunday.  The Spitfire I'm working on with it won't be - too much work to do there.

I'm liking this more and more.  Researching the scheme I wanted to do threw up another that I liked even more than the one I was doing, so I think I'll need two more to add to this one and the other one that's in the stash.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

kitbasher

looking forward to seeing pics of the completed build, Lee, and I am tempted to treat myself to one.

Looks like a Hornet/Meteor mash-up.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Captain Canada

Nice looking kit and aeroplane !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

The Wooksta!

"Never thought I'd let a rumour spoil my moonlight..."

Well, all done bar the shouting.  Just got the tips on the props to do and glue them on.  Should be calling it finished in about half an hour so I can get it packed up for 'uddersfield.

I don't like the nosegear.  Actually, what I mean is the way it's attached to the resin sprue.  One of the axles broke off when I tried to remove it, so I stole the one from the other kit in the stash and that does the same.  Balderdash! It will not sit on it's nosegear without weight but there isn't anywhere in there to put it!  A white metal nosegear would help with this a great deal and mean that the modeller won't break the blasted thing whilst trying to remove it from the sprue either.

Not keen on the mainwheels, but I'll replace them on later ones with Tempest wheels.

I also dislike separate prop blades.  Intensely.  However, this is due to it having handed props.  Now, if I'd noticed that, I would have lengthened the starboard cowling by a tad to accommodate the extra gearing - this is typical of the DH Hornet, so it has some basis in reality.

Overall, I've enjoyed it and I'm happy with it to a degree, but I feel it's been a bit rushed.  The next one I do will be better.  If only I could decide on what I want to do with it...

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

wuzak

Quote from: The Wooksta! on February 10, 2018, 01:46:14 PM
Now, if I'd noticed that, I would have lengthened the starboard cowling by a tad to accommodate the extra gearing - this is typical of the DH Hornet, so it has some basis in reality.

Not sure that the 130 and 131 were of different lengths.

http://users.skynet.be/BAMRS/dh103/pics/crankcase.jpg

Also, at the time the 327 would have been developed, the Merlin may well have been handed to give opposite rotation, such as was used in initial prototype(s) of the Whirlwind, rather than using the idler gear system used on the Merlin 131.

Scotaidh

Wasn't there any room for weight in the nacelles? or were they too far rear-ward to be of any use? 

When I did my P-76, with those massive four tail-booms, I had to put weight in all four nacelles as well as in the extended nose.  In fact, that's why I extended the nose - I needed the room!  :)  But without the nacelle weight, even the extended nose wouldn't have been enough.
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

The Wooksta!

"Somebody told me"

One Hornet nacelle is definitely longer than the other, there's photographic evidence to prove it.  Besides which, the info came from John Adams of Aeroclub and what he doesn't know about the Hornet isn't worth knowing.  I trust that man when he says something about British aircraft.

The nacelles are solid, there's no way of getting any weight further forward..

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan: