Whiffed Crosti boilered locomotive

Started by PR19_Kit, November 16, 2017, 03:00:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

The trailing truck for the 2-8-2 has arrived at vast expense, £5.90, off ebay.  :thumbsup:

Someone on my model railway forum has pointed out that I could add the Caproti valve gear, as pictured on the Crosti boilered Class 5 4-6-0, by the use of some spare Hornby bits as they sell a Class 8 'Duke of Gloucester' Pacific that has Caproti gear. I'll be looking into the fiscal implications of that.

The Barnes book has also given me another Whiffed loco idea and I'm already on the case for doing that one too, but I'll await the finding of a suitable chassis before I post any pics etc.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 17, 2017, 04:41:11 AM
Quote from: chrisonord on November 17, 2017, 04:36:56 AM

I take it the wings will fold along the sides of the boiler for when it goes through tunnels and bridges? :wacko:

Just for once this WON'T have longer wings, or any at all really.  ;D
What...? Really???
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

Afraid so, I'm fresh out of steam locomotive wings at the moment.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 27, 2017, 02:41:56 PM
Afraid so, I'm fresh out of steam locomotive wings at the moment.  ;D
Haha  :thumbsup:
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

The Caproti valve gear and cylinders have arrived, thanks to a good seller on eBay, but there's a problem of course. The 'Duke of Gloucester' is a Pacific with larger drivers so the connecting rods won't fit my eight coupled Whiff. I see some 'engineering' in prospect.....

I've got most of the bits together for the other Whiff I like in the Barnes book. That's a 4-6-4 Baltic tank engine from the ever weird pen of Mr. Bullied, Chief Engineer of the Southern Railway. Here's the pic in the book.

To those who know UK locos it may look like a 'Merchant Navy' Pacific, but it has no tender and it has side tanks, madness. Here's a 'Battle of Britain' loco that's similar to the MNs.

Mr Bullied in his wisdom used smaller driving wheels than the Pacifics on the Baltic tank proposal, but they are the same size as those on the totally bizarre Q1 loco. See what I mean about bizarre here.

Luckily Hornby do a quite good Q1 and I got hold of a Q1 chassis at a reasonable price.

The body shell will be whiffed from a Dapol (ex-Airfix) 'Battle of Britain' loco kit as below.

Regards
Kit

Steel Penguin

the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

loupgarou

Good to see something railway-related in whifworld!  :thumbsup:
Will follow with interest.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

NARSES2

I can see what you mean about bizarre  :o

Talking of steam loco's. When I passed the National Railway Museum yesterday they had one of the larger ones outside getting steam up. Lovely sight, apart from the belch of dark grey smoke that erupted out of the funnel
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

I spent some time cutting and pasting various scans and drawings together to see how the Baltic tank would look, and while this is in the later BR colour scheme it does give the look of the beast I think. All the running gear is scanned from the real parts I'm using for the build.

Amazingly the boiler of the tank engine comes out exactly the same length as the 'Battle of Britain' class loco body I'm going to use too.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

The colour scheme above would have been what the loco looked like in the 50s, post the formation of British Railways in 1947. I rather liked the look of how it might have looked under the Southern Railways, as drawn by Mr. Barnes in the book, so I tried it out with the older scheme.

Much more eye catching to my mind, and the yellow stripes tend to make it look longer and less bulky.

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 14, 2017, 03:58:35 PM

Much more eye catching to my mind, and the yellow stripes tend to make it look longer and less bulky.

Very much so  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

I just remembered that it actually IS a bit longer. I lengthened the coal bunker, the bit behind the cab, a bit to match the book's drawing, and moved the six driving wheels back somewhat too.

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 15, 2017, 04:13:04 AM
I just remembered that it actually IS a bit longer. I lengthened the coal bunker, the bit behind the cab, a bit to match the book's drawing, and moved the six driving wheels back somewhat too.

Looks good though  :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

More intense Photoshop work (actually PaintShoPro......) to see how the other Whiff project would look.

This is the real world BR Class 9F as a 2-10-0, and with the Crosti boiler, which is why it has a chimney half way down the boiler.

This is my whiffed version as a 2-8-2 and with the advanced Caprotti valve gear.

And this is as the 2nd one but with added smoke defletctors, like the non-Crosti 9Fs.
It's doubtful if the deflectors would do anything practical as the exhaust exits about 15 ft behind them, but I quite like the look of them.

What does the panel think, deflectors or no deflectors?

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Personally, I prefer WITH deflectors.  Properly shaped, they may set up an updraught that prevents most of the smoke going into the fireman's lungs.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet