Cartel heavy C.O.I.N and close support relic, erm I mean aircraft. TU-91 Boot

Started by chrisonord, November 17, 2017, 02:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

This is the PITA that I was trying to get done for the Soviet GB, but the landing gears had other ideas of. Anyhow here it is with a new set of legs, Douglas Bader would scoff at. The aircraft belongs to the Cartel flying museum piece air force, and does a marvelous job of close air support and C.O.I.N. work. It is sort of like a giant A-1 Skyraider, and can loiter over the battlefield for long lengths of time and carry a lot of ground pounding ordnance. The aircraft originally designed to do strike missions of Soviet aircraft carriers in the 50's found a new home several thousands of miles away from mother Russia in central America, upsetting Honduras and U.S task force troops on the ground as well as supporting Cartel troops, something that the aircraft does quite admirably.
The kit is the Modelsvit 1/72nd scale one, and it fought me a lot especially those landing gears. It used to sit on its wheels, but for some reason it got all awkward having it's picture took.
Chris.
IMG_2312 by Chris Hall, on Flickr
IMG_2311 by Chris Hall, on Flickr
IMG_2310 by Chris Hall, on Flickr
IMG_2309 by Chris Hall, on Flickr
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

comrade harps

Whatever.

zenrat

Love it.
Picking at nits for a moment though, if one is the insurgent (as I would assume The Cartel is based on the dictionary meaning of the word) then can one carry out CoIn missions?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

chrisonord

Quote from: zenrat on November 18, 2017, 01:53:19 AM
Love it.
Picking at nits for a moment though, if one is the insurgent (as I would assume The Cartel is based on the dictionary meaning of the word) then can one carry out CoIn missions?
Honduras send their army on to cartel territory, thus inserting them . The Honduras air force does much the same when cartel insurgents come over their borders.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Quote from: chrisonord on November 18, 2017, 02:02:17 AM
Love it.
Honduras send their army on to cartel territory, thus inserting them . The Honduras air force does much the same when cartel insurgents come over their borders.

So Counter Insertion rather than Insurgent?  OK, that'll do.  :thumbsup: :mellow:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Quote from: zenrat on November 18, 2017, 03:16:29 AM
Quote from: chrisonord on November 18, 2017, 02:02:17 AM
Love it.

So Counter Insertion rather than Insurgent?  OK, that'll do.  :thumbsup: :mellow:

Quotecartel
kɑːˈtɛl/

noun
noun: cartel; plural noun: cartels

an association of manufacturers or suppliers with the purpose of maintaining prices at a high level and restricting competition.
    "the Colombian drug cartels"

historical
        a coalition or cooperative arrangement between political parties intended to promote a mutual interest.

Origin
Late 19th century: from German Kartell, from French cartel, from Italian cartello, diminutive of carta, from Latin carta (card). It was originally used to refer to the coalition of the Conservatives and National Liberal parties in Germany (1887), and hence any political combination; later to denote a trade agreement (early 20th century).

Well, obviously the Cartel consider themselves to be a legitimate government &, thus, any Honduran incursion into their territory is considered by them to be "insurgency". Therefore, from the Cartel perspective, they are COIN assets. ;D

Etymology is often wa-ay more revealing than mere definition. ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Snowtrooper

The kit is well built and it's a nice idea to put it in COIN duty and the standard Soviet camo looks the business, but the Boot is still so ugly it's ugly. It's like someone noticed only after basic design was complete that hey, it's missing an engine, and then it was made to fit where it shouldn't with the help of a blowtorch and a sledgehammer.

chrisonord

Quote from: Snowtrooper on November 18, 2017, 07:07:19 AM
The kit is well built and it's a nice idea to put it in COIN duty and the standard Soviet camo looks the business, but the Boot is still so ugly it's ugly. It's like someone noticed only after basic design was complete that hey, it's missing an engine, and then it was made to fit where it shouldn't with the help of a blowtorch and a sledgehammer.
That's why I like it  ;D

Weaver

Good use for it, although man is it fugly, as has already been noted. That only makes me like it more though.... :wacko:

And now, a CONIPI (COunter NIt-PIck  ;D ): an insurgency is not the same as an invasion. An insurgency implies an uprising against the government by those whom they claim to rule, rather than an invasion from outside the country's borders. Since the Cartel controls territory more-or-less permanently, and since presumably people live in that territory, it's therefore perfectly correct to describe a Cartel action against a rebellion by those people as a COunter INsurgency operation. An operation in support of Cartel ground troops engaged with an invading force of foreign regular military forces (or at least forces from another jurisdiction) would be covered by the term 'Close Air Support'.

I'd therefore say that Chris's original description is correct (stir, stir... :wacko:)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

chrisonord

Quote from: Weaver on November 19, 2017, 03:47:23 AM
Good use for it, although man is it fugly, as has already been noted. That only makes me like it more though.... :wacko:

And now, a CONIPI (COunter NIt-PIck  ;D ): an insurgency is not the same as an invasion. An insurgency implies an uprising against the government by those whom they claim to rule, rather than an invasion from outside the country's borders. Since the Cartel controls territory more-or-less permanently, and since presumably people live in that territory, it's therefore perfectly correct to describe a Cartel action against a rebellion by those people as a COunter INsurgency operation. An operation in support of Cartel ground troops engaged with an invading force of foreign regular military forces (or at least forces from another jurisdiction) would be covered by the term 'Close Air Support'.

I'd therefore say that Chris's original description is correct (stir, stir... :wacko:)
Every now and again I do know what I a talking about you know :wacko: :-X
Cheers H,
Chris.

Old Wombat

Counter Insurgency (including Counter Unconventional Warfare), Counter Intelligence, Counter Espionage & Close Air Support; it's suitable for all of them. :thumbsup:

Quote from: Old Wombat on November 18, 2017, 05:17:05 AM
... any Honduran incursion into their territory is considered by them to be "insurgency" ...

Here I was talking about (but not defining it sufficiently) "Unconventional Warfare in support of Insurgent activities" incursions by Honduran forces. ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

DogfighterZen

Dang, that's one ugly thang... ;D But the camo makes up for the ugliness of the design. :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Dizzyfugu

Confirms my impression that the Tu-91 would look good with camouflage. Nice one.  :thumbsup: