DONE @p.4 +++ Dornier Do 319 B-1 "Seeschwalbe", Luftwaffe, mid 1945

Started by Dizzyfugu, November 20, 2017, 10:35:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Hmmmm...?
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

BTW, the shabby lower thing is (half of) a float from a He 115 I built more than 30 years ago. Saving spares for "something else" always comes handy...  :rolleyes:

JayBee

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Knightflyer

A flying boat fighter aircraft a la Saunders-Roe SR.A/1?
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

loupgarou

Quote from: Knightflyer on November 20, 2017, 11:33:35 AM

Or a shark submarine à la Tin Tin?
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: loupgarou on November 20, 2017, 01:35:14 PM
Quote from: Knightflyer on November 20, 2017, 11:33:35 AM

Or a shark submarine à la Tin Tin?

A valid option, since the Me 262 with its shark-like outline lends itself to this concept. But this one will be a "simple" floatplane. My inspiration came while browsing a couple of days ago from an accidental find: a drawing/painting of a parasol-style Me 262 floatplane, with the wings on struts above the fuselage, cockpit in the original position and a single jet engine on to of the wing, kind of hair-drier for the pilot. Pretty unpractical, but it made me think about a "better" layout for the concept...  :o Unfortunately I did not save the picture and cannot find it anymore.

So, my idea is "what if Dornier, as a hydroplane expert, had had the task of creating/converting a Me 262-based jet flying boat?" Think about mating a Me 262 with a Do 18, that's where things will go. It might even become an amphibian design! :D

Muahahahaha...!

After that I did more legwork and I found out that the Me 262 floatplane stunt has been done before; I also found a Me 262 floatplane with shoulder-mounted wings and the engines on the wings, close to the fuselage and with the cockpit moved forward. Dug up this similar work from IPMS Gateway:

Found here: http://www.ipms-gateway.com/articles/WhatIf262/WhatIf262.htm

Mine will be /very) different, though, and probably become a true Me 262 puzzle with no piece attached where it should be... Plus the planing bottom from the shown 30+ year old Matchbox He 115 float. Never throw parts away, you'll always find a use, someday!  ;)

zenrat

Engines look a bit close to the leading edges on the one above.  I think they risk getting an internal brine rinse.
Also, wouldn't the cannon breeches be in the cockpit?

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

Well, I had similar thoughts when I saw this build. For my taste, the wings are pretty low and I agree on the cockpit/gun issue (should IMHO placed behind the "5", where  the first bulkhead behind the guns and in front of the 1st fuselage tank of the original aircraft would be), and I also have doubts concerning the stabilizer's position that low and directly in the jet efflux. The build is nice, though, but I will take a very different approach - it might even look retro and anachronistic, I am really lokking forward to the build because it's one of those projects that start with a vague idea and then evolves with the parts at hand and in the spares box.

zenrat

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on November 21, 2017, 01:07:29 AM
...it's one of those projects that start with a vague idea and then evolves with the parts at hand and in the spares box.

Sounds to me like "making it up as you go along".  My favourite building technique.
:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

Kit basis is a Smer Me 262, which is actually the Heller two-seat night fighter with a new fuselage and canopy. I'll use as much as possible from this starting point, and re-shape it, literally.  :wacko:

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on November 21, 2017, 12:20:50 AM

Also, wouldn't the cannon breeches be in the cockpit?

Keep the pilots feet warm at altitude ?  ;)

I like it I must admit and it's overall look has me thinking of an He 162 floatplane ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

I conisdered that one too, and I remember several builds seen in the WWW. The layout of the aircraft lends itself to a conversion, but IMHO the tail will be tricky. Maybe a butterfly tail could work? Wingtip floats are a sane choice, too.

Tophe

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on November 21, 2017, 07:30:13 AM
Wingtip floats are a sane choice, too.
Mental sanity is not required in the what-if World (fortunately, otherwise I would not be here)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Dizzyfugu

Two days into the project and the fuselage has been closed, after the cockpit has been moved forward and the planing bottom added. This looks really good! Add some jet engines to the tail and you get a water speed record contestant boat.

The wing has been re-constructed into a gull wing and the engines were moved to the upper side (their air intakes turned by 180°). The wings' central (ex underfuselage) section was turned upside down and the landing gear wells closed; underneath a central pylon was added(in order to place it high behind the cockpit.

Also found - after a long search in the spares box - a basis for lower stub wings/floats in the form of stabilizer tips from an 1:32 AH-64 kit. They also give enough room for a retractable landing gear, so that this one will become a true amphibian aircraft.

Lots of PSR!  :banghead:

Pics to follow soon.

Dizzyfugu

Here's the promised visual update to the former posts. This looks messy, and, believe me, it is...

Dornier Do 319 "Seeschwalbe" jet flying boat (Whif/Smer kit conversion) - WiP
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr