Sprue cutters: are they worth it?

Started by Hobbes, November 24, 2017, 12:37:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 26, 2017, 12:52:57 AM
Quote from: chrisonord on November 25, 2017, 12:21:12 PM
These look cheap enough
https://www.heamar.co.uk/cutters/43926-xuron-170-11-micro-shear-flush-cutter-615265902053.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAxuTQBRBmEiwAAkFF1s6csHCwMolmo-Qbt1K6wMUYIOuzF1NhQWp0mFFpSS2LTzn7Bqv2MRoCKVEQAvD_BwE
Chris

At least half the price I paid for mine  :banghead: Price in Squires catalogue is £14.99.
The site stocks a few different versions too for varying prices, I have a spare new pair of cutters in my tools box and looking at them there is a reason they were only £1.99, so going to get some of these from here.
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

The Wooksta!

I swear by the ones I got from Poundworld - the same ones I gave to Chris.  Nail/toenail cutters and all for the princely sum of one whole Great British Pound.  Quite a few of me mates now use the same clippers.  I've just tried to find them on their website without any luck, but I did find some Unicorn poo.

I also got some fantastic sanding blocks, with four grades on a block and four blocks to a pack, all for the same price.  Go to Squires for the same product and he'll have your eyes, sockets, and an arm or a leg.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

scooter

Quote from: The Wooksta! on November 26, 2017, 03:44:36 PM
I also got some fantastic sanding blocks, with four grades on a block and four blocks to a pack, all for the same price.  Go to Squires for the same product and he'll have your eyes, sockets, and an arm or a leg.

I picked up, a few years ago, 3M Sanding Sponges in Fine, Super, and Very Fine grits, in boxes of 20.  Pricey (they came for my liver), but they'll last forever.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

zenrat

Like with so many aspects of modelling there is no wrong way.  Go with whatever works for you.
Having said that, I do like quality tools (I was taught cheap tools are false economy).  I just don't like paying for them.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: scooter on November 27, 2017, 02:01:39 AM

I picked up, a few years ago, 3M Sanding Sponges in Fine, Super, and Very Fine grits, in boxes of 20.  Pricey (they came for my liver), but they'll last forever.

I need to replenish my stocks of these, especially the finer grades, and when I saw the price I  :o Little Cars (or whatever he trades as now) used to sell them individually, you could mix and match grades and how many of each you wanted, at a much lower price. Unfortunately he no longer seems to carry them  :-\ They are good though
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

I found one of those on the ground at work the other day.  Small pleasures I guess.... I was pretty happy and knew instantly what I'd use it for.  :laugh:
-Sprues McDuck-

sandiego89

To reaffirm the original question, yes they are absolutely worth it.  Especially if the cutter has one flat side you can snuggle up to delicate parts.

Got mine from squadron.com

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

sandiego89

Quote from: ysi_maniac on November 28, 2017, 02:10:17 PM
What is that model? a Baroudeur? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SNCASE_Baroudeur

Indeed, it is my WHIF Baroudeur II.  Mostly from a 1/72 Revell Mystere IV.  Scratch intakes, skids, etc.

Original build thread here, but photos lost in the Photobucket extortion gig. http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,39387.0.html

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA