Honduras air force IAI Kfir C7 "tamandua".

Started by chrisonord, November 27, 2017, 01:29:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

On all of the missions carried out b y the air force, evidence of damage and the target in general were a must, a dedicated photo recon aircraft was a waste of resources, and filling weapons pylons with recon pods didn't go down too well with the powers that be. The RF-4 phantoms that were acquired from Germany, were starting to get long in the tooth and become increasingly vulnerable to the ever escalating air power of the cartel. Two mirage III J's with camera's in their noses still carried on in their roles but, were also getting long in the tooth/nose. The air force wanted an aircraft that could carry out an offensive mission, and take pictures to prove it. ENAER, had a solution and took one of the recently acquired Kfir C7's and added a new nose with three camera's in and also put another 2 in the rear of the fuselage. The aircraft, looked quite odd to say the least and was immediately nicknamed "Tamandua" which is the Giant Anteater. The aircraft performed admirably and the extra nose didn't affect the performance whilst carrying out ground attacks.
The kit is the Italeri Kfir C7 with a Cheetah/Pantera nose stuck on where it would fit flush, and the camera's are decals from the decal tin, and some gloss black paint.
Just got this finished in a rush as the Durandal's didn't want to stick to the TER's or the MER, hence the super glue marks on some. I will paint them again when I get home from hospital.
Chris.
IMG_2371 by Chris Hall, on Flickr
IMG_2372 by Chris Hall, on Flickr
IMG_2373 by Chris Hall, on Flickr
IMG_2374 by Chris Hall, on Flickr
IMG_2375 by Chris Hall, on Flickr
IMG_2376 by Chris Hall, on Flickr
IMG_2377 by Chris Hall, on Flickr
IMG_2378 by Chris Hall, on Flickr
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

KiwiZac

That's cool! I've been thinking more Kfir/Cheetah whifs would be neat...and this one is, very much so! I really like the camo scheme.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Dizzyfugu

Kfirs have a lot of conversion potential. Many moons ago I created a whole fleet of different mods, including a high speed interceptor, a navalized version, an SEAD two-seater and even a ground attack variant. None of them has survived, though.  :unsure:

chrisonord

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on November 27, 2017, 11:44:17 PM
Kfirs have a lot of conversion potential. Many moons ago I created a whole fleet of different mods, including a high speed interceptor, a navalized version, an SEAD two-seater and even a ground attack variant. None of them has survived, though.  :unsure:
The main problem I have is storing my builds without them getting damaged, which is the reason why I started building more armor, but I couldn't resist,doing some aircraft again. My current build craze is mirages and kfir's, as they have a real life tie in with central and south America.
Chris

Weaver

Yep, that looks good!  :thumbsup:

Good luck in Hospital Chris.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 27, 2017, 03:56:29 PM
Now that's one SERIOUS camera nose!  :thumbsup:

Yup, obviously a serious telephoto lens  ;)

Nice work Chris  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

chrisonord

Quote from: Weaver on November 28, 2017, 04:22:02 AM
Yep, that looks good!  :thumbsup:

Good luck in Hospital Chris.
Cheers H, I am sat in the ward, epidural is starting to wear off

Snowtrooper

Now that is some serious loadout for a Kfir! :mellow: The nose looks weirdly natural too and the camo is nice. :thumbsup:

chrisonord

Cheers mate, I taped the fuselage halves together,and marked where the nose would fit best, but had to make a plug from styrene, and sand it to shape. I have loaded it out with 12 durandal's as they are not that heavy
Cheers
Chris

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

loupgarou

Very good build!  :thumbsup: And impressive nose obviously.  <_<
I have noted just now your furry friend having a look at the plane, maybe envious of the nose length.  ;D
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

chrisonord

Quote from: loupgarou on December 07, 2017, 09:23:41 AM
Very good build!  :thumbsup: And impressive nose obviously.  <_<
I have noted just now your furry friend having a look at the plane, maybe envious of the nose length.  ;D
Ha, he usually sulks when I am paying attention to my models and not him
Chris

b29r

Great concept and build, I love it!
Best regards,
Kem