Started by ericr, December 02, 2017, 08:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ericr

it's about a boat, and wings ...

guess the ingredients?

they seemed to fit quite nicely, to my taste  ;D

I still have to devise a name ...

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

ericr

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Quote from: zenrat on December 02, 2017, 03:57:38 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 02, 2017, 02:03:12 PM
Will it have sails as well?  ;D

Then it'll be windpunk... ;D

Lots of early steam ships had sails, just in case; why shouldn't steam flying ships? :unsure: ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

jcf

Why wouldn't they? Because sails don't work as sails on aerial vehicles, except to increase surface area
and aid the wind in pushing you where it's going, with no propulsion yer just a fancy free balloon.
;D
Sails work on water, land, and ice because of the differential between the moving air and the fluid, or surface,
friction acting on your vessel/sail-wagon/ice-boat, this doesn't exist inside an air mass.
:thumbsup:

zenrat

Also because they could go faster under sail than the primitive early steam engines could push them.

A sail powered airship would not be able to sail upwind like a waterborne ship unless it had something to replicate the water's resistance against the hull.  You could use a propeller to provide this resistance but then why not just use to to propel the thing in the first place?
However, a sail propelled airship attacking downwind in silence (apart from the wind in the rigging) would certainly be a magnificent sight.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

jcf

Heller 1/150 Tartane/Corsair and Italeri/Revell 1/72 Antonov An-2.  :thumbsup:

I only know because I have both kits and recognized the parts.

ericr

Quote from: zenrat on December 02, 2017, 03:57:38 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 02, 2017, 02:03:12 PM
Will it have sails as well?  ;D

Then it'll be windpunk... ;D

;D

well I didn't think of using sails, partly because the ones from the ship kit are already on their mast in a whale variation I did a few months ago.
But it would certainy make as much sense as in the case of the german flying boats with sails, recalled to us recently by zenrat : are they called Rohrbach IIRC?

ericr

Quote from: zenrat on December 02, 2017, 07:17:25 PM
Also because they could go faster under sail than the primitive early steam engines could push them.

A sail powered airship would not be able to sail upwind like a waterborne ship unless it had something to replicate the water's resistance against the hull.  You could use a propeller to provide this resistance but then why not just use to to propel the thing in the first place?
However, a sail propelled airship attacking downwind in silence (apart from the wind in the rigging) would certainly be a magnificent sight.

that picture is tremendous : a real provocation, if you ask me ...

ericr

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on December 02, 2017, 07:22:11 PM
Heller 1/150 Tartane/Corsair and Italeri/Revell 1/72 Antonov An-2.  :thumbsup:

I only know because I have both kits and recognized the parts.

excellent guess ! only the An-2 is from Trumpeter (very nice kit, and very cheap, and coming with floats ! )

PR19_Kit

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on December 02, 2017, 07:10:23 PM

Why wouldn't they? Because sails don't work as sails on aerial vehicles, except to increase surface area
and aid the wind in pushing you where it's going, with no propulsion yer just a fancy free balloon.
;D
Sails work on water, land, and ice because of the differential between the moving air and the fluid, or surface,
friction acting on your vessel/sail-wagon/ice-boat, this doesn't exist inside an air mass.
:thumbsup:

You're spoiling the plot with real world physics now.  ;D

Luckily this is Whiffworld where they have 4-5 different varieties of wind at the same time...................... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

ericr

let me resolve that discussion : I actually do use the engine from the An-2  ;)

(the black thing come from a 1/48 U-2 I think ...)

loupgarou

The tail transplant came out very well. I am wondering what the final scale will be.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.