A Pointer to the 2018/2019 GB Season

Started by NARSES2, December 03, 2017, 12:21:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Right as we get closer to 2018 I thought I jot down a couple of points about GB's. Note all dates are approximate.

The current Flying Boat etc GB officially finishes at the end of January. So assuming the Moderators grant the normal 2 week extension it will finish mid February.

So the final GB of the season will be the Cold War GB which will be kicking off on or around 1st March (my birthday, hint, hint  :angel:) and running through to the end of May.

The first GB of the 2018/19 season will,as tradition demands, be the one week build and this will be held probably at the beginning of June.

As for the rest of the season ? Because of the RAF Centenary GB the Poll for the two choices will be held sometime during April/May so please do not start submitting ideas for possible GB's now. I know people will continue to throw out ideas and I will try to take notes and remember them but can't guarantee that, so keep a note yourself as well. I will post a thread up when I want ideas for the coming season's poll, so as said please don't start now as they will almost certainly get forgotten by the time the poll goes up.

So that's the way I see things panning out.

Chris

P.S. I do know this is a bit early but I just wanted to let you know it's not forgotten

P.P.S. Can I also mention that word "Moderators" ?  ;)

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

I did offer to Mod the Cold War and that offer still stands.

:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

rickshaw

I'll think about it, Chris.  Depends if a GB grabs my attention or not...    :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on December 03, 2017, 12:25:57 AM
I did offer to Mod the Cold War and that offer still stands.

:thumbsup:

Don't worry mate, it's set down in tablets of stone  ;D

Quote from: rickshaw on December 03, 2017, 06:30:39 PM
I'll think about it, Chris.  Depends if a GB grabs my attention or not...    :thumbsup:

Thanks mate
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Quote from: rickshaw on December 03, 2017, 06:30:39 PM

Same here but it'd have to finish before the Grand Tour begins in September, too. ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

sandiego89

Thanks so much for keeping this on track Chris. I know it is likely a lonely cross to bear, with frustration and the need to dodge occasional sniper fire, but it is truly appreciated. Thank you- Dave
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

ysi_maniac

There was a Cold War in 2016. Will it be another in 2018? Will be any difference?
No critizism, just to think and planify.  <_<
Will die without understanding this world.

sandiego89

Quote from: ysi_maniac on December 06, 2017, 04:20:51 PM
There was a Cold War in 2016. Will it be another in 2018? Will be any difference?
No critizism, just to think and planify.  <_<

I had proposed a three year retirement on repeating group builds themes, but offered that after idea late in the game. I think several others agreed we should have some sort of hiatus so we don't get into a rut, and to let some of those themes that never quite make it the top get a chance.
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

jcf

Quote from: sandiego89 on December 06, 2017, 02:00:03 PM
Thanks so much for keeping this on track Chris. I know it is likely a lonely cross to bear, with frustration and the need to dodge occasional sniper fire, but it is truly appreciated. Thank you- Dave

Well, his name is Chris after all.  :thumbsup:

zenrat

I was against another cold war GB so soon but democracy defeated me.
Which is why I offered to mod - so I can bring it down from within.  Ooops, did I say that out loud?   :o

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

NARSES2

The one definite change to the next poll will be that I will no longer include all those suggestions that didn't win out in the previous poll.

I'm not sure about moratorium's (moratorii ?) but will think about it.

loupgarou

But if you delete ALL of the previous not-winning entries, and the winning ones are excluded as having been done, we'll have to start from scratch concerning suggestions. Maybe you could keep the old suggestions that reached a minimum of votes.

p.s. I don't have my latin dictionary at hand, but moratorium could be neutral, so plural could be moratoria. <_<
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

zenrat

I keep a list of GB ideas that occur to me through the year and then when Chris opens the suggestions thread I enter those that I can still remember what I meant.
If a not winning idea was good enough then someone will suggest it again.
Also, anyone can go back to the previous years voting thread and have a look at what didn't win to see if they want to suggest them again.
Fred

ysi_maniac

Quote from: loupgarou on December 07, 2017, 09:06:52 AM
But if you delete ALL of the previous not-winning entries, and the winning ones are excluded as having been done, we'll have to start from scratch concerning suggestions. Maybe you could keep the old suggestions that reached a minimum of votes.

I agree!!! :thumbsup:
Will die without understanding this world.

NARSES2

With regards to starting again as far as suggestions are concerned. I'm only doing it because that's the consensus of opinion at the time of last years poll  :banghead:  ;)

Quote from: loupgarou on December 07, 2017, 09:06:52 AM
Maybe you could keep the old suggestions that reached a minimum of votes.

Good idea  :thumbsup: Maybe have a 20/25% minimum vote to be automatically included ?

What I really want to avoid is having a vast number of possible contenders and then loads of them getting zero votes ? This has happened over the last couple of years.

Thinking as I type I might just say "if it got zero votes last year it doesn't go in automatically this" ? I'll think about it, plenty of time.

Chris