Train whifs?

Started by seadude, December 06, 2017, 09:18:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadude

Had an odd thought about this: Has anybody ever seen or built any train whif models? I know there's been real railroad trains that were armored or for carrying missiles, etc., but has anyone ever seen or built any other fictional train whifs? Anybody got any ideas for turning locomotives or other various train cars into weapon carrying platforms or other non-weapon systems?
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

PR19_Kit

See my recent thread here :

http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,44530.0.html

I've got a couple of these in the early stages, progress will be slow of course.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

loupgarou

When I arrived at the forum, in 2012, one of my first posts was some locomotive whifs (civilian, not military):
http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,35879.msg574232.html#msg574232

But I am afraid those could be understood only by people that know continental railways.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

sandiego89

My Rhodesian combat support train was the winner in the 2011 Africa group build. Armed and armored train to deliver troops and support Unimogs, Land Rovers and helicopters in the bush. HO scale, around 1/87. Photos no longer supported due  photobucket, but thread here: http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,32265.0.html
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

The Rat

Years ago I tinkered with the idea that British Rail bought old Short Stirling fuselage and turned them into electric locomotives. The Stirling just looks so much like a train engine to me.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

scooter

I had the idea to build a modern, yet civilian, hospital train.  I've got plenty of cars, but no mojo... :-\
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

strobez

This might not quite be on topic, but I've been thinking about building the runaway passenger train car from the Tintin Adventure Prisoners of the Sun to include in my 1/72 Tintin collection.

This one - https://goo.gl/images/ZQujDB

The only problem is I have no idea where to start.  Do they even make train cars in 1/72 scale? Anyone got any suggestions on where to start?
Thanks!

Greg

loupgarou

Quote from: strobez on December 07, 2017, 02:57:40 AM
This might not quite be on topic, but I've been thinking about building the runaway passenger train car from the Tintin Adventure Prisoners of the Sun to include in my 1/72 Tintin collection.

The only problem is I have no idea where to start.  Do they even make train cars in 1/72 scale? Anyone got any suggestions on where to start?

You could settle for 1/76, it's near enough. The problem is that scale is used in UK only, and the train from your link is american (from its look). I don't remember if in the ancient Kitmaster range there was a "western-style" loco. Else it will be difficult to find somthing. And I have no idea if in UK there have been passenger cars with that style of roof (I think it was called clerestory roof in USA). Apart from some inconsistencies, the window are too modern for that type and style of car. IIRC they are called semi-Klein in Germany/Europe and came out in the fifties.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

McColm

If my topic is still here for different colour schemes for locomotives and carriages.
I think Kit and a few other Whiffers posted pictures or websites of a similar nature.
I still have an idea to paint the four house colours of Hogwarts school of wizardry on 00/Ho gauge HST 125 train sets, but I will probably only be able to do a 4 carriage set , plus buffet car of a modern Hogwarts Express.
There's also an alternative locomotive power supply themed topic- jet powered trains, propeller and Mag Lev.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: loupgarou on December 07, 2017, 03:17:51 AM

You could settle for 1/76, it's near enough. The problem is that scale is used in UK only, and the train from your link is american (from its look). I don't remember if in the ancient Kitmaster range there was a "western-style" loco. Else it will be difficult to find somthing. And I have no idea if in UK there have been passenger cars with that style of roof (I think it was called clerestory roof in USA). Apart from some inconsistencies, the window are too modern for that type and style of car. IIRC they are called semi-Klein in Germany/Europe and came out in the fifties.

Loupgarou is correct in that 1/76 (00 gauge) is almost exclusively a UK 'scale', and all the Kitmaster kits bar the limited 3 mm range  were to that scale. That was silly marketing as their US and European outline kits didn't sell in non-UK markets as a result. Kitmaster did a US General 4-4-0 loco in 00 Scale, and this one did sell in the US quite well, but there were no matching coaches in appropriate style.

Many of the UK railways used clerestory roofed coaches, but they generally had a different style of windows to that shown in your pic. It could be done, using appropriate parts from various manufacturers but I doubt it would be easy.

What am I saying, you're the one here who's made his own corrected resin moulded car bodies for the project!  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

strobez

I suspected I might end up scratchbuilding this one... but since I know nothing about trains, I didn't want to find out AFTER I put in a ton of work that this was in fact the most widely available solution in 1/72 train tracks history.
Thanks!

Greg

sandiego89

I reloaded some of the pictures from my WHIF Rhodesian combat support train so you could see what an HO scale train and some HO (1/87) scale vehicles and weapons looked like.  I also had to chop down the Alouette as it was 1/72 scale and would have looked huge compared to the vehicles.  HO and 1/72 will NOT work together.

The train has fighting positions, armor over certain areas and a mortar tube on the flat car.   

The engineer earned a little extra pay with his roof mounted .50 cal! 

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

Excellent stuff there.  :thumbsup:

What's the loco, an F7?

Regards
Kit

strobez

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 07, 2017, 10:33:36 AM
Quote from: loupgarou on December 07, 2017, 03:17:51 AM

Loupgarou is correct in that 1/76 (00 gauge) is almost exclusively a UK 'scale', and all the Kitmaster kits bar the limited 3 mm range  were to that scale. That was silly marketing as their US and European outline kits didn't sell in non-UK markets as a result. Kitmaster did a US General 4-4-0 loco in 00 Scale, and this one did sell in the US quite well, but there were no matching coaches in appropriate style.

Many of the UK railways used clerestory roofed coaches, but they generally had a different style of windows to that shown in your pic. It could be done, using appropriate parts from various manufacturers but I doubt it would be easy.

What am I saying, you're the one here who's made his own corrected resin moulded car bodies for the project!  ;D

I'm still planning on tackling this subject.  I think the Airfix 1/76 (OO) "Esso Tanker" kit will do nicely for a related project (the yellow Loch Lomond Whisky tanker) but I'm not sure what's the best donor kit to start the passenger carriage from.  Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks!

Greg