YP-37

Started by KJ_Lesnick, December 14, 2017, 07:36:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KJ_Lesnick

I was told about an idea from somebody on another forum about ways the YP-37's nose could have been shortened by using a radiator more like the YB-38, anybody know what I'm talking about?
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

jcf

Quote from: ysi_maniac on December 14, 2017, 08:21:20 PM
?????
P-37 as such didn't exist. http://www.wardrawings.be/WW2/Files/2-Airplanes/Allies/1-USA/01-Fighters/P-37/YP-37.htm
?????
A different kind of P-40?
:unsure: :unsure:

The XP-37 and YP-37 were Curtiss's earlier stab at an inline engined P-36. The XP-37 was a one off,
but, 13 examples of a modified version were ordered as the YP-37 service test aircraft. The engine
was a turbo-charged V-1710.

Eventually the work led to the P-40, which had a belly radiator aft of the cockpit in its first iteration.

PR19_Kit

If the pilot of the YP-37 was any further aft he'd be behind the aircraft!  :o

It must have been the very devil to land!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TallEng

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 15, 2017, 12:27:48 AM
If the pilot of the YP-37 was any further aft he'd be behind the aircraft!  :o

It must have been the very devil to land!

Yeah!
But it's a ready made Reno Race plane, just needs smoothing out a bit and a really tiny canopy.
Ready to race ;D
Just as well I don't have a kit or I'd be sorely tempted.  :rolleyes:

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

jcf

I have the resin 1/48 LF Models YP-37, a bit rough in spots but it'll get ya there,
the kit has markings for the high-vis Arctic scheme they wore during testing in
Alaska.

Here's a nice colour shot of the XP-37 at the factory. I had an even shorter tail than the YP-37,
which got a 25" extension aft of the cockpit.

KJ_Lesnick

ysi_maniac

QuoteP-37 as such didn't exist. http://www.wardrawings.be/WW2/Files/2-Airplanes/Allies/1-USA/01-Fighters/P-37/YP-37.htm
Corrected

JCF

QuoteThe XP-37 and YP-37 were Curtiss's earlier stab at an inline engined P-36. The XP-37 was a one off,
but, 13 examples of a modified version were ordered as the YP-37 service test aircraft. The engine
was a turbo-charged V-1710.
Yup

PR19_Kit

QuoteIf the pilot of the YP-37 was any further aft he'd be behind the aircraft!  :o
That was the basic problem with the aircraft, it's visibility over the nose absolutely sucked
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

jcf

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on December 14, 2017, 07:36:12 PM
I was told about an idea from somebody on another forum about ways the YP-37's nose could have been shortened by using a radiator more like the YB-38, anybody know what I'm talking about?

You mean XB-38, I gather.

Umm, yeah, an under-chin radiator and oil-cooler cluster just gives you a P-40. So what's the point exactly?

NARSES2

I've not seen that one Jon. Nice looking airplane. Thanks  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

KJ_Lesnick

joncarrfarrelly,

QuoteYou mean XB-38, I gather.
Yes

jcf

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on December 20, 2017, 05:44:03 AM
QuoteUmm, yeah, an under-chin radiator and oil-cooler cluster just gives you a P-40. So what's the point exactly?
It would probably have a few other differences, the nose would probably still be longer, and an intercooler intake in the wings would probably be added: From a performance standpoint, being able to cruise around at 25,000 feet would have been pretty neat.

So, if you're putting that kind of radiator nose on the beast, where does the turbo-supercharger go?

rickshaw

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on December 21, 2017, 10:05:20 AM
Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on December 20, 2017, 05:44:03 AM
QuoteUmm, yeah, an under-chin radiator and oil-cooler cluster just gives you a P-40. So what's the point exactly?
It would probably have a few other differences, the nose would probably still be longer, and an intercooler intake in the wings would probably be added: From a performance standpoint, being able to cruise around at 25,000 feet would have been pretty neat.

So, if you're putting that kind of radiator nose on the beast, where does the turbo-supercharger go?

In front of the propeller of course, Jon.  ;)  :banghead:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

jcf

KJ_Lesnick

Quote from: rickshaw on December 21, 2017, 07:47:21 PMSo, if you're putting that kind of radiator nose on the beast, where does the turbo-supercharger go?
The idea I figure would be to place it the same as the YB-38.

jcf

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on December 22, 2017, 11:09:32 AM
Quote from: rickshaw on December 21, 2017, 07:47:21 PMSo, if you're putting that kind of radiator nose on the beast, where does the turbo-supercharger go?
The idea I figure would be to place it the same as the YB-38.

You wouldn't have the room to duplicate the XB-38 installation, the Allisons were mounted to the
standard B-17 firewall, which was round for its round engines, much larger than the Allisons,
giving lots of room in the engine  mounting envelope.