Main Menu

M-61

Started by Gondor, December 15, 2017, 09:06:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

I can't get my scanning electron microscope to power up at the moment so I can't really see your progress Alastair..........  :o :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 14, 2018, 10:47:42 AM
I can't get my scanning electron microscope to power up at the moment so I can't really see your progress Alastair..........  :o :o

I requested assistance  from Madame Rheged, who  was a qualified scanning electron microscopist as part of her postgrad research.  She suggests disconnecting and reconnecting every electrical plug.....this usually got the Aberdeen University botany department machine to behave in the early 1970's.  Failing that, try swearing at in Japanese as this was the trick used by the senior lab technician(an RN radar rating of Korean war vintage) and has been known to cause the device to behave.  The "nuclear option" was to ask the regius professor of Natural Philosophy (one Dr R V Jones ) to threaten it.  This always worked!   She hopes these suggestions help you with your own electron microscope.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Nick

Quote from: Rheged on December 14, 2018, 11:09:40 AM
The "nuclear option" was to ask the regius professor of Natural Philosophy (one Dr R V Jones ) to threaten it. 

THE RV Jones? Most Secret War Dr Reginald Victor Jones? The chap who helped start up Bletchley Park, worked out the Knickebein radio signals, developed Window chaff, planned the Bruneval radar raid, who was a V-2 rocket scientist and an intelligence advisor to Winston Churchill?!

I'm impressed!  <_<

scooter

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 14, 2018, 10:47:42 AM
...try swearing at in Japanese as this was the trick used by the senior lab technician(an RN radar rating of Korean war vintage) and has been known to cause the device to behave.

Or try swearing at it in Vietnamese.  Of course, it only works on equipment (and personnel) of that particular vintage (French-Indochina War or America's involvement). :wacko:
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Rheged

Quote from: Nick on December 14, 2018, 11:26:22 AM
The "nuclear option" was to ask the regius professor of Natural Philosophy (one Dr R V Jones ) to threaten it. 

THE RV Jones? Most Secret War Dr Reginald Victor Jones? The chap who helped start up Bletchley Park, worked out the Knickebein radio signals, developed Window chaff, planned the Bruneval radar raid, who was a V-2 rocket scientist and an intelligence advisor to Winston Churchill?!

I'm impressed!  <_<

Yup, that's the chap.   Madame R remembers  him as an exceptionally good lecturer on the history of science, and a remarkably innovative practical joker. I was introduced to him as "Miss McAllister's young man" at a faculty Christmas party:  it was an honour to be allowed to shake his hand!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

chrisonord

I have the exact same kit of that gun, I shall be watching, sorry peeping from behind my couch, while you build that evil little contraption.
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: chrisonord on December 14, 2018, 02:35:28 PM

...... while you build that evil little contraption.

A true description if ever I read one!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: Gondor on December 14, 2018, 10:39:39 AM

which will have a piece of this metal shim braised onto the inner surfaces of the self gripping tweezers

This means that I have the hand control to open and releasing the part as I require while the shim will be cut to form smaller tips and thinner too means that I should be more able to have the finesse to get hold of the small parts.

Gondor

Really neat idea. Admire your skill in being able to do it  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

At work, when we were based in Millbank Tower anyway, I found threatening to throw any piece of electrical equipment out of the 15th floor window got it working again  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

chrisonord

Quote from: NARSES2 on December 15, 2018, 02:20:10 AM
At work, when we were based in Millbank Tower anyway, I found threatening to throw any piece of electrical equipment out of the 15th floor window got it working again  ;D
;D ;D ;D
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Gondor

Quote from: NARSES2 on December 15, 2018, 02:14:25 AM
Quote from: Gondor on December 14, 2018, 10:39:39 AM

which will have a piece of this metal shim braised onto the inner surfaces of the self gripping tweezers

This means that I have the hand control to open and releasing the part as I require while the shim will be cut to form smaller tips and thinner too means that I should be more able to have the finesse to get hold of the small parts.

Gondor

Really neat idea. Admire your skill in being able to do it  :thumbsup:

It's not done yet and I have realised that if I cut outthe pincer shapes prior to fixing them to the squeezers I will have to make sure that they aligne when I solder them on. This means that I will probably be best shaping them after fixing them in place.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Hehehe, love it.

And did you shout LOUDLY at it too?  ;D

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Had a good look at the new set of tweezers that I bought yesterday, unfortunately they feel as they were worth every penny that I paid for them, which means they are cheap and nasty but will do the job........ I hope but if not I didn't exactly spend much on them  :-\

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

NARSES2

Quote from: Gondor on December 15, 2018, 02:27:03 PM
Had a good look at the new set of tweezers that I bought yesterday, unfortunately they feel as they were worth every penny that I paid for them, which means they are cheap and nasty but will do the job........ I hope but if not I didn't exactly spend much on them  :-\

Gondor

Exactly the way to look at it. Sometimes these things work out and sometimes not, but what does a £1 get you nowadays anyway ?

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 15, 2018, 04:35:51 AM

And did you shout LOUDLY at it too?  ;D

Sometimes and even with my door shut I could sometimes hear the girls giggling and the odd "he's off on one again"  ;D