Main Menu

M-61

Started by Gondor, December 15, 2017, 09:06:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rheged

Quote from: NARSES2 on December 16, 2018, 06:03:40 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 15, 2018, 04:35:51 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on December 15, 2018, 02:20:10 AM

At work, when we were based in Millbank Tower anyway, I found threatening to throw any piece of electrical equipment out of the 15th floor window got it working again  ;D

And did you shout LOUDLY at it too?  ;D

Sometimes and even with my door shut I could sometimes hear the girls giggling and the odd "he's off on one again"  ;D

The disadvantage of an open plan office like to place I had is that EVERYONE hears you upbraiding recalcitrant technology.  My staff were clued up enough to do the "three pin reset", but if that failed, Darren was summoned from I T and to mutter vituperately at the piece of kit and wave a test meter at it, usually whilst half way under a desk to get to it. I did once hear him making the comment "Why didn't DELL decide to make knitting machines?".
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

NARSES2

Quote from: Rheged on December 16, 2018, 09:45:28 AM

I did once hear him making the comment "Why didn't DELL decide to make knitting machines?".

Thank goodness they didn't, otherwise we'd all be wearing animal pelts to work  :rolleyes:

Our IT guy was called Elvis, seriously, and used to dread being called out by me because he knew I'd ask him what was actually wrong with the piece of kit after he'd fixed it. He used to get into a blind panic about it because he couldn't explain it and knew I'd just sit there behind my desk going "well ?"  :angel:

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kerick

Does anyone know what goes on inside these machines? Gremlins and little people?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

scooter

Quote from: kerick on December 17, 2018, 07:34:34 AM
Does anyone know what goes on inside these machines? Gremlins and little people?

I thought it was magic smoke
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

PR19_Kit

I think mine runs on steam..............

It certainly gets hot enough.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

scooter

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 17, 2018, 10:02:13 AM
I think mine runs on steam..............

It certainly gets hot enough.

So does mine when I'm processing a render
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

Gondor

Back to the modelling....

Well tool making is what's happening around here at the moment.

Found that the tweezers are pressed from a sheet of what ever metal they are so they are not flat on the inside  :banghead:

Hopefully you can see what I mean from these two pictures  :unsure:

The curvature is a little difficult to see through the camera and at least as difficult to see in the pictures so if I have a couple of them mixed up I blame my cataracts!

I have used a file to remove material until one of the prongs is flatter than it was and the following will I hope be the correct two images. "can we have a crossed finger icon please!?"

So the next couple of things to do are to smooth the inside of the other prong, tin the inside surface of both prongs then cut to size some shim before brazing each piece of shim to the inside of each prong in turn, all the time keeping everything in line as well as straight and level! Easy with only one pair of hands  :blink:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Old Wombat

So, what's the cost in man-hours for this? :unsure:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Gondor

Quote from: Old Wombat on December 17, 2018, 04:32:02 PM

It's a hobby, there is no such thing as man hour costs where a hobby is concerned.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Old Wombat

Quote from: Gondor on December 17, 2018, 10:15:33 PM

It's a hobby, there is no such thing as man hour costs where a hobby is concerned.

Gondor

;D

Nick

Gondor

Until you work on a commission...  :wacko:

Gondor

Quote from: Nick on December 19, 2018, 01:32:55 AM

Gondor

Until you work on a commission...  :wacko:

If you have a commission then its a job not a hobby as you are doing something for someone other than yourself.

Gondor

Old Wombat

But is your hobby refining cheap Chinese tools to make them fit for purpose or building models? one asks. :unsure:

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on December 19, 2018, 03:47:27 AM
But is your hobby refining cheap Chinese tools to make them fit for purpose or building models? one asks. :unsure:
[/quote

If you get satisfaction from it, and I guess you would if you had the ability to do it, then it's part of the hobby in my view  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

scooter

Quote from: NARSES2 on December 19, 2018, 06:24:38 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on December 19, 2018, 03:47:27 AM

If you get satisfaction from it, and I guess you would if you had the ability to do it, then it's part of the hobby in my view  :thumbsup:

+2

My late father, both in his job as an auto mechanic and in his hobby of carpentry, was known to craft some of his own specialized tools
Gone But Not Forgotten

— Groucho Marx