Bullied Baltic tank loco

Started by PR19_Kit, December 22, 2017, 01:52:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

It's getting to be like building an aircraft kit but without wings! I even had to resort to some PSR work this afternoon!  :banghead:

I sanded off all the rivet and the raised colour line detail to start with, which went surprisingly easily, the styrene is pretty soft for a change. Then I cut up one of the tender sides to make one tank side, and glued it in place. As the curvatures aren't quite the same I had to add a small shim of 10 thou on the cab side, and then PSR the joint so that it was all a smooth curve. There's a very small bit of PSR I need to do right underneath the front facing cab windows, but that's in hand.

As it looks like this technique seems to work OK, I'll paint the interior of the cab next, but that'll be a week away yet, as I'm away up in Yorks most of next week.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Starting to come together Kit  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

A bit off topic, but is about model trains.  I had an off-road excursion on the way to work this morning (see weather with you thread) and after walking to a farmers house to get help, I had to wait while his tractor was warmed up.  Found out while chit-chatting, he's into model railways. His preferred scale is what he called 'G' gauge.  Not having heard of that scale I found out it usually means 'Garden' Gauge', turns out he had a whole layout in his back yard. He then showed me his basement  --------- it was completely done up in railway layout which ran through holes in the walls so the layout could run from room to room.  And all his steam engine were just that --- what he called 'Live Steam'. Mind you his diesel engines were mostly electric powered, either from the mains or battery.

One engine that was particularly interesting was one he called a 'Shay' engine which was used in the logging industry. Never seen one quite like it.

Like this one.

http://shaylocomotives.com/surviving/2645surv.jpg

His model engine was actually like this one

http://www.mendorailhistory.org/images/railroads/locos/shay/colin_shay_6.jpg
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Oh yes, G Gauge has been around some time, and it's BIG too.  :o

As for Shays, they're fascinating things. I built an HO gauge 2 truck Shay around 20 yrs ago and was chuffed to blazes when it won a loco class at an NMRA Convention in the USA! They were suitably astonished that a Brit had built it.

Later on I ran it on the Twin Cities Model Railroad Club's huge layout in St Paul, and it still holds the record for the slowest lap of the layout, something well over 2 hrs.  ;D We had enough to go out for dinner before it made it all the way round.

I'll post a pic of it when I get back from the wild north.

Mind you, I don't have layout to run it on.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Ify

Hi Kit. Interesting build log.
How's this tank loco going?
Looking forward to see what is involved in this conversion, and how she will turn out.
Captain: The future is in your hands, Scotty.
Scotty: But Captain, I can't change the laws of physics.

PR19_Kit

It isn't going at the moment I'm afraid, apart from in my head.

I've got too much real railway stuff on my plate just now and modelling has crawled to a halt. It'll improve in a few weeks I expect.

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Time spent in planning is rarely wasted.  Keep up the full sized railway missionary work amongst the ranks of the unbelievers and we will all await with eager anticipation the masterpiece that Bulleid didn't quite build.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Ify

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 17, 2018, 01:19:23 PM
It isn't going at the moment I'm afraid, apart from in my head.

I've got too much real railway stuff on my plate just now and modelling has crawled to a halt. It'll improve in a few weeks I expect.
Thanks for sharing. Will revisit in a few weeks. Stay safe with the real railway stuff.
Captain: The future is in your hands, Scotty.
Scotty: But Captain, I can't change the laws of physics.