Scott Furlong Rapide ( formerly known as project 3)

Started by 63cpe, December 24, 2017, 05:35:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Pretty, and that would really suit a mid-60s British development. :thumbsup:

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 24, 2017, 08:05:58 AM
Quote from: 63cpe on December 24, 2017, 05:35:22 AM

(Swift wings suit so many fuselages, just not the swift fuselage  ;D)

Even a Swift fuselage doesn't suit a Swift fuselage................  ;D

I have a spare Swift fuselage now too, and every time i look at it, the ONLY things that seem right to add are straight wings and a tail wheel undercarriage. I'm beginning to think in terms of Sea Hawk wings (for the intakes) and the front end of a radial-engined fighter, the back story being that it's a early mixed-power idea in the style of a Ryan Fireball but with a centrifugal jet.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on December 27, 2017, 04:05:40 AM

I have a spare Swift fuselage now too, and every time i look at it, the ONLY things that seem right to add are straight wings and a tail wheel undercarriage. I'm beginning to think in terms of Sea Hawk wings (for the intakes) and the front end of a radial-engined fighter, the back story being that it's a early mixed-power idea in the style of a Ryan Fireball but with a centrifugal jet.

So what's stopping you building it? It sounds a cracking idea.  :thumbsup:

The Fireball did have a centrifugal engine, IIRC the GE J-31, developed from the Whittle engine that was shipped over there.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Tophe

I am not sure, sorry: do I LIKE it or do I LOVE it? :-\ :wub: :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 27, 2017, 04:17:52 AM
Quote from: Weaver on December 27, 2017, 04:05:40 AM

So what's stopping you building it? It sounds a cracking idea.  :thumbsup:

The 200+ other cracking ideas I've got... :rolleyes:

The Fireball did have a centrifugal engine, IIRC the GE J-31, developed from the Whittle engine that was shipped over there.

Sorry, quite right. I was thinking of how much bigger the Nene fuselage was than the Fireball's.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on December 27, 2017, 04:41:33 AM

Sorry, quite right. I was thinking of how much bigger the Nene fuselage was than the Fireball's.

I'd have thought that the Swift had the most phenomenal range with all that massive fuselage space surrounding the Avon engine, but apparently not. Perhaps it generated so much drag that it negated all the extra theoretical range?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

63cpe

Weaver, think your plan for the left-over Swift fuselage (mixed powered) is very good indeed! Haven't quite invisaged it yet, but i'm working on it. Think you right about the straight wings (maybe p-80?)

But, I managed to make some progress on the Rapide. The fairing behind the canopy is build up and most PSR is done. The cockpit tub will be the forward section of a Pavla Gnat T1.

IMG_20171227_102004243 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

Now have to find me shock cones for the intakes and a main landing gear.

63cpe

Just some small works done today. Painted the cockpit, found and glued-in the undercarriage. Fuselage was still split in left and right (yes, this was a salvage kit and was cracked open along the vertical joint)

IMG_20171229_175152360 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr
IMG_20171229_175152360 (2) by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

Meanwhile the fuselage was assembled, puttied and left to dry overnight.

JayBee

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Weaver

Looking good!  :thumbsup:

Quote from: 63cpe on December 27, 2017, 12:03:39 PM
Weaver, think your plan for the left-over Swift fuselage (mixed powered) is very good indeed! Haven't quite invisaged it yet, but i'm working on it. Think you right about the straight wings (maybe p-80?)

Grumman Panther would work too, but you'd have to gut the intake fairings off the panther fuselage. If you want to have crude 'sugar scoop' intakes, which would be very right for the era, then P-80 wings would work, as would F-84 Thunderjet wings, which have the advantage of containing complete undercarriage, MGs and tip tanks.

- Indiana Jones

Tophe

63cpe

just some end of year updates done. PSR is done and put it on its gear. Think it's ready for the paint job....

IMG_20171231_164757745 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr
IMG_20171231_164808580 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr
IMG_20171231_164815786 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr
IMG_20171231_164821364 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr
IMG_20171231_164836305 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr
IMG_20171231_164847703 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

Modeliing is over for this year...see you in 2018!

David

PR19_Kit

Regards
Kit

Tophe

I hope this project is going on. No need of camo and roundels according to me (I am pacifist) but the tyres would be better "dark", I hope...