What say you, lads?

Started by The Rat, December 24, 2017, 11:36:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

Wet&Dry sanding I think ----
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Dizzyfugu

Uh, that's odd. Some thorough sanding and re-painting (you can still use the rattle can paint and apply it with a brush) should do, there's hardly anything else to save the mess.

Besides, I also think that the both colors go together well. Typically you need some contrast to break up the vehicle's outlines, and if the tones are too close to each other, the effect is nil. Looks good to me.

The Rat

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on December 02, 2018, 09:56:53 AM
Uh, that's odd. Some thorough sanding and re-painting (you can still use the rattle can paint and apply it with a brush) should do, there's hardly anything else to save the mess.

Yup, that was what I was thinking of. Even if I painted the white area green those marks would still show. Sanding down will be required no matter what.

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on December 02, 2018, 09:56:53 AM
Besides, I also think that the both colors go together well. Typically you need some contrast to break up the vehicle's outlines, and if the tones are too close to each other, the effect is nil. Looks good to me.

Yeah, there is that. But living in Canada I get to see a lot of snow, and the subtle gradations between blinding white and grey shadows are appealing.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Scotaidh

I would just leave it.  Call it weathering, or wear-'n'-tear, or the 'good enough' repair of damage, or even just real world 'cheap paint'!  I mean - stuff happens for real, as well as in the modeling world.  Sure, buff it down and re-paint, but at the end of the day I'll bet all of us have some kind of ding or scratch or "anomaly" on our vehicles - some thing not worth the expense of fixing.

So just make up a back story for anyone who asks "What is that?"  Close encounter with Ground Support Equipment; a clumbo with an aluminum ladder; termites.  ;)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

KiwiZac

Quote from: Scotaidh on December 03, 2018, 01:44:59 AM
I mean - stuff happens for real, as well as in the modeling world.  Sure, buff it down and re-paint, but at the end of the day I'll bet all of us have some kind of ding or scratch or "anomaly" on our vehicles - some thing not worth the expense of fixing.
One of my jobs at the local aircraft engineering firm was mixing and applying special coating to the belly of company planes...that was never stressful when I got the mix wrong and it wasn't dry when they left!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

Interesting - looks very good.  :thumbsup:

Scotaidh

I see what you mean about the grey being darker than you'd like.  Still, it looks great!   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

BTW, have you seen pictures of Harriers in their winter paint for exercises in Norway?  They had a really heavy contrast between their white and dark paints - look:

I think you're bang-on.  :)

Beautiful decals, too.  :)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

silverwindblade

Quote from: The Rat on June 05, 2019, 07:05:34 PM

What a handsome aircraft! I'd never really looked much at the Lansen before, but it looks wonderful in those colours.
Amidst the blue skies, a link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector...
Gordon's Alive, a Podcast I host. Check us out!

Captain Canada

Oldie but a goodie ! That looks so right in those colours and markings. Defo an idea I'm stealing Rat ! And oddly enough, I was just thinking of this a/c today. I'm going to look for a kit when I hit Dean's in Owosso on Saturday.

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Quote from: silverwindblade on June 06, 2019, 07:26:00 AM

What a handsome aircraft! I'd never really looked much at the Lansen before, but it looks wonderful in those colours.

Totally agree  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Rat

Quote from: Scotaidh on June 06, 2019, 01:54:12 AM
I see what you mean about the grey being darker than you'd like.  Still, it looks great!   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

BTW, have you seen pictures of Harriers in their winter paint for exercises in Norway?  They had a really heavy contrast between their white and dark paints - look:

I think you're bang-on.  :)

Beautiful decals, too.  :)

Wow, looks like I didn't need to worry myself!

kitnut617

The dark colour on those Harriers could also be the green, the white replacing the grey.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike