What if the RAF didn't want the F-35... Tempest FGR.1

Started by chrisonord, December 24, 2017, 01:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

Bit more drivel for you.
Bae at Samlesbury and Warton were tasked with building the prototype of the aircraft, code named George's Dragon, reason for this name being that the plane in Chinese was named Mighty Dragon. The aircraft was built in upmost secrecy and parts were moved around in parts for the Typhoon. The aircraft was test flown in total darkness, including its maiden fight. Night vision systems were checked by taxing up and down the runway in the middle of the night, much to the local residents displeasure, but they couldn't complain due to the airfield being there first. The aircraft was fitted with an ariel to give it the same radar signature as a typhoon, which they told people who were wondering, was doing tests for a new night flying system designed for the typhoon. Testing went on for a year, and the prototype was followed by a pre production version with all weapons systems fitted and an IFR probe. Night time refueling over the Irish sea was carried out with great success too. Weapon wise most missiles and bombs in the current RAF inventory will fit in the weapons bays, but the RAF wanted it to carry a stealthy cruise/ anti ship missile, so said weapon had to be designed and developed. In the meantime, the aircraft carried and test fired the RBS-15 MK3, of which 3 could be carried. Yet again testing at night was carried out for this weapon and this missile was accepted in to the inventory until the stealth cruise missiles were made available. other weapons that are cleared for use are SRAAM of which 4 can be carried in the side bays, 4x IRIS-T, 6x AIM-120 D in the main weapons bay 6x Meteor in main weapons bay, 4x ALARM in main bay 3x 2,000 JDAM in main bay 3x 2,000 LGB in main weapons bay. Other weapons are still being tested and developed for the aircraft. The gun fitted is the tried and tested DEFA 30 mm cannon.
The engines in the Tempest are a further developed Rolls Royce XG-40, which the Typhoon uses a version of. These newer engines provide a higher cruise speed without after burner and are more fuel efficient, also they are 25% quieter.
Here it is in the flesh.
Kit is the Trumpeter J-20 in 1/72nd scale, hairy stick painted, a bit rough round the edges, as I missed sanding some parts and got runs in the paint, mainly due to my paint brushes being past it.   But it looks ok from a distance.
IMG_2385 by Chris Hall, on Flickr
IMG_2384 by Chris Hall, on Flickr
IMG_2383 by Chris Hall, on Flickr
IMG_2382 by Chris Hall, on Flickr
IMG_2381 by Chris Hall, on Flickr

Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Paper Kosmonaut

Very nice! And it looks all right to me. And it has a nice back story too. (And anyway, it's looking a whole lot better than the F-35 Pork Chop, which I just cannot get myself to become a fan of...)
dei t dut mout t waiten!

DogfighterZen

Came out very good, and i like the backstory, too. :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

chrisonord

Quote from: Paper Kosmonaut on January 03, 2018, 11:03:50 AM
Very nice! And it looks all right to me. And it has a nice back story too. (And anyway, it's looking a whole lot better than the F-35 Pork Chop, which I just cannot get myself to become a fan of...)
d
;D ;D ;D

chrisonord

Cheers, I quite enjoyed building this but doing so finally hit home the fact I need a bigger work station as I struggled working on it.
Chris.

PR19_Kit

Hmmm, you know far too much about how BAe Warton and Samlesbury work.  ;D

The model look great.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 03, 2018, 03:12:26 PM

:-X :mellow:
Chris

Rick Lowe

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 03, 2018, 03:12:26 PM

"You may very well think that, but He couldn't possibly comment..."

Model came out nice!  :thumbsup:

NARSES2

That looks really good and I'm glad she has full colour roundels even if they are "B" type  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

chrisonord

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 04, 2018, 02:50:53 AM
That looks really good and I'm glad she has full colour roundels even if they are "B" type  :thumbsup:
Cheers,
It was a case of what is the most modern British aircraft I have in Honduras service, and find its decals. Hawk 100 decals seem to fit the bill ok to me  ;)
Chris.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 04, 2018, 02:50:53 AM

Exactly! Those 'grey and grey' roundels they're using on the RAF F-35Bs are DIABOLICAL!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Snowtrooper

Looks even better in British grey than it does in black :thumbsup:

Just realized how much the J-20 looks like a kitbash OOB, F-22 nose and MiG 1.44 fuselage, but then again, there's a lot of Lockheed's early ATF concepts in there too (probably in all of three, that is).

darthspud2

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Proper job as they say hereabouts.
very nice indeed.
I think I'm gonna need a bigger display cabinet!!

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?