Coastal Command Manchester IV

Started by Caveman, December 26, 2017, 03:48:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caveman

As per the title. I've got an old airfix lanc I/III and a pair of aftermarket Centaurus nacelles and props. A genuine proposal for improving the Manchester's performance was to fit it with Centaurus engines. This will be similar but I'm keeping the lancs longer wings. Fortunately the airfix makes that easy with few small holes to be filled.

So the hope is to turn this into a long range manc. I'm going to remove the mid upper and perhaps fit her out with some of the ASV aerials but they would have to be scratched...

Anyway initial steps:

secretprojects forum migrant

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

PR19_Kit

That sounds VEEEEERY interesting.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Caveman

Thanks guys. I hope I can produce something to meet mine and your expectations.

Snowtrooper

So, will it be armed in the same style as Coastal Command Liberators - cannon pack and RP's complete with Leigh Light? <_<

Caveman

And then there were 2! (Roughly equal Centaurus powered nacelles)

Caveman

Ta da! So I've mocked up the new nacelles on the wings and for the wings to the fuselage. (Excuse the messy bench) it looks just about enough of a plane to make the right noises but not quite well taped enough to survive a spin around the workshop...

I think it looks about how I had pictured it in my head. There is a girt expanse of wing without those outboard engines!

The underside shows the minimal work required on the airfix aircraft to "manc" this "lanc". Just fill the hole and sand off the residual fairing.

One little self inflicted gotcha:

I chopped the nacell a bit far back and so there is a step where the inners fairing is. So that will also need fixing. I'm going to try to replicate the brigand's installation somewhat...

I missed a q about armament earlier. I was thinking a mix of torps and depth charges. Maybe a pair of torps and 4 or 8 dc. Haven't got any in the stash but they are all basically just cylinders though right?

zenrat

The lack of outer nacelles gives it the look of something Kit has had a hand in...
;D

I'm always happy to see larger things get whiffed.  Keep up the good work.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Gondor

I like the idea. It might make me do a Manchester with their normal wing span and Centaurus engines armed with torpedoes in the bomb bay. Long range Anti-Shipping....

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

loupgarou

Very interesting idea. I must remember to have a go at it.
BUT, from the photos, yours doesn't look like an REAL OLD Airfix Lanc. Used to be moulded in black, and had tons of delicious rivets. Must be a semi-old one.  <_<
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on December 28, 2017, 04:06:42 PM

The lack of outer nacelles gives it the look of something Kit has had a hand in...
;D

Wasn't me 'guv, I'm innocent, 'innit.........  ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

JayBee

Quote from: loupgarou on December 29, 2017, 06:10:34 AM
Very interesting idea. I must remember to have a go at it.
BUT, from the photos, yours doesn't look like an REAL OLD Airfix Lanc. Used to be moulded in black, and had tons of delicious rivets. Must be a semi-old one.  <_<

Indeed. The "Old" or "Original" Airfix Lancaster was issued in 1958. Advertised as "The first of the heavies" it was in black plastic and had some revolutionary new features, as far as kits of that era were concerned, such as moveable control surfaces and moveable guns in the turrets. The latter was achieved by having small balls moulded on the ends of the gunners hands on to which you had to press fit the guns. This tended to last about three days, if you were lucky, before they broke off. I know, I was there.
The next kit of the Lancaster was issued in 1980, and I believe that is what we are seeing here.

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Caveman

Well the mold is older than I am. And this particular piece of plastic has been in my possession since before I went to Uni, so that's over a decade.

Anyway. Less tape and more glue on the wings now. Aforementioned moveable surfaces included.

Caveman

Small update. I've started one of the more major surgeries on this model - removing the mid upper. I've started but cutting around the turret fairing on one side but I'm wondering if it would be better if I cut a more regular shape?

Took the opportunity to test fit the remaining turrets too.

Caveman

Forgot that I hadn't showed the wings with outer nacell fairing expunged.

Some slight PSR and the wings will be done.