Coastal Command Manchester IV

Started by Caveman, December 26, 2017, 03:48:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

Good job on that.

I don't want to pour water on your cornflakes, but the Manchester had a shorter wing span and a different dihedral too.

Mind you, for my Manchester II I started, I'm extending the wing to Lincoln size and also powering it with RR H24 cylinder engines.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Caveman

Quote from: kitnut617 on December 31, 2017, 09:40:23 AM
Good job on that.

I don't want to pour water on your cornflakes, but the Manchester had a shorter wing span and a different dihedral too.

Yep know that. This version of the Manchester had longer wings more suited to the long ranges required by coastal command. In a nifty bit of recycling Avro used the wings from the aborted Manchester III...  ;D
secretprojects forum migrant

Caveman

More wet cornflakey progress. Fuselage "interior" complete and fuselage buttoned up. Mid upper removed and packed ready for PSRing.

Caveman

First time playing with miliput. A bit of sanding required and possibly another round of puttying. More progress though. Construction feels like it's nearly there.

Last main effort is going to be the radar. I am vacillating about this though. The early ASV type antennas as seen on Whitley's, Sunderland's and wellingtons were introduced around 1940. The Centaurus engines weren't in production until 1942. Im happy with a little bit of timeline nudging but think that may be too much.

Thoughts?

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Caveman

H2S radomes repurposed for a nose mounted ASV III and a wheel hub will be used as the basis of a turret mounted Leigh light just aft of the bomb bay. Similar setup to that used on wellingtons. Forward position for ASV vs H2S for better forward visibility. Position is actually forward of the prop disks on the shortened nacelles.

Radar takes up the forward section of bomb bay. I've scribes in a new panel line to denote where the bay doors would be chopped. Remaining length is still big enough to take a couple of torpedoes and 4 depth charges or 12 - 16 depth charges and no torps.

Caveman

Bit of miliput sculpting of a fairing around the retracted Leigh light turret. It looks alright. I'll wait for it to fully set and then sand of the rough edges.

Also did a little bit of gap filling around the radome and engine nacelles.

kitnut617

With Milliput you can do a lot of sculpting before it sets hard. You use water and your finger tip to get most of the shape done, then clean up the surrounding area with a damp cloth. Final sanding can be done after it sets.

Caveman

Yeah I think I might try a little miliput figurine or something to get some sculpting practice.

Caveman

Major assembly complete. Detailing and paint up next.

Caveman

After my failure with a rattle can I didn't feel brave enough to spray this model. So brush painting the white undersides has begun [shudder].

First coat...

n-more to go.

GeorgeC

Quote from: Caveman on December 31, 2017, 10:06:47 AM
Quote from: kitnut617 on December 31, 2017, 09:40:23 AM
Good job on that.

Yep know that. This version of the Manchester had longer wings more suited to the long ranges required by coastal command. In a nifty bit of recycling Avro used the wings from the aborted Manchester III...  ;D

It's an Avro Preston.  Halfway from Manchester to Lancaster...

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Caveman

kitnut617

Quote from: Caveman on January 29, 2018, 01:31:53 AM
Humbrol. White. Paint.  :banghead:

I have found that ModelMasters Classic White works really well with a brush. Never had any success with the Humbrol white though  :-X