My library just grew again 2018

Started by Rheged, December 31, 2017, 06:15:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobbes

Chasing New Horizons (Alan Stern)  (about the Pluto mission)
The design and engineering of Curiosity (Emily Lakdawalla) (about the Mars rover)
Energiya-Buran (Bart Hendrickx and Bert Vis)

NARSES2

Picked up from the P.O. yesterday

Images of War - The French Airforce in the First World War. Absolutely fascinating. My admiration for the guys who flew these things increases every time I get a book like this  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

reddfoxx

Half Price Books has their semi-annual clearance sale at the fairgrounds near me.  The store has interesting stuff anyway, but browsing tables full of books for $2 apiece is dangerous.  We spent $60 today.  Aviation-wise, I got:

Flying the Line: The First Half Century of the Air Line Pilots Association, by George Hopkins. Looks to have some good anecdotes. 

More World War II Aircraft in Combat, by Glenn Bavousett.  Lots of nice paintings. 

The Trophies of the Red Army During the Great Patriotic War, Volume 1, by Yu. A. Natzvaladze.  I was taken in by the cover illustration of Yak-9s, but there don't seem to be any actual planes inside.  Maybe that's volume 2.  These trophies include cannons, assault rifles, and aircraft machine guns.

Weaver

Vulcan Boys by Tony Blackman
and
Phantom Boys by Richard Pike

£7.00 each, in hardback (RRP=£20.00), from The Works  :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

scooter

JA Sutherland's Alexis Carew series (Books 1-5) on Kindle.  Space naval combat?  Check.  Two books based on historical incidents?  Check.  Age of sail tactics?  Check.  Main character isn't a Mary Sue (like Honor Harrington)?  Definite check.

I picked up the first ebook, Into the Dark on Saturday.  Read it over the course of several hours, and absolutely loved it.  Opted for the Kindle Unlimited 30 day trial, got the next four books, and proceeded to demolish 2-4 on Sunday.  Two of the books, Mutineer (Book 2) and The Little Ships are based on historical events- HMS Hermoine and Operation Dynamo, respectively.  The author, goes so far, as to provide the historical context in these two books in his afterword.

Highly recommended.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Spey_Phantom

arrived today was Tony Butler's "Soviet Secret Projets: Fighters since 1945"  :thumbsup:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

jcf

zenrat

Quote from: scooter on June 26, 2018, 04:04:35 PM
JA Sutherland's Alexis Carew series (Books 1-5) on Kindle.  Space naval combat?  Check.  Two books based on historical incidents?  Check.  Age of sail tactics?  Check.  Main character isn't a Mary Sue (like Honor Harrington)?  Definite check.

I picked up the first ebook, Into the Dark on Saturday.  Read it over the course of several hours, and absolutely loved it.  Opted for the Kindle Unlimited 30 day trial, got the next four books, and proceeded to demolish 2-4 on Sunday.  Two of the books, Mutineer (Book 2) and The Little Ships are based on historical events- HMS Hermoine and Operation Dynamo, respectively.  The author, goes so far, as to provide the historical context in these two books in his afterword.

Highly recommended.

Just read books 1 to 3 while on holiday.
I second Scooter's recommendation.
Very good.

And while at Heathrow Aeroport I picked up Churchill's Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare by Giles Milton and, as we had visited Bastogne, Ardennes 1944 by Anthony Beevor.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

loupgarou

I'm reading it just now. A bit disappointed by the very small size of photos and drawings.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Rheged

A morning prowling the junk antique shops of Leominster produced a large scale OS map of the South and East of Orkney and a copy of  German Capital Ships of World War Two.  There is sufficient material on Graf Zeppelin and other proposed aircraft carriers to produce some entertaining Whiffery.    Didn't buy a very tatty copy of Lancasters in Squadron Service  which included a colour pic of a Lancaster operated by the French equivalent of the Coastguard.........it looked a whiff but wasn't.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Gondor

Popped into The Works today and left with the Haynes Manual for the USS Enterprise, that's the NX-01 and NCC-1701 Enterprises as opposed to the CVN Enterprise. Cost £4 total  :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

zenrat

Quote from: Gondor on August 04, 2018, 08:15:42 AM
Popped into The Works today and left with the Haynes Manual for the USS Enterprise, that's the NX-01 and NCC-1701 Enterprises as opposed to the CVN Enterprise. Cost £4 total  :thumbsup:

Gondor

So for the REAL Enterprise then... ;D

Good buy.  I may have to buy that for Mrs z.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Mossie

Ready Player One, Kindle download.  I'd intended to watch the movie, but based on what Fred said in the Movies thread I'd thought I'd get the book instead.  Enjoying it so far, one chapter in.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.