My library just grew again 2018

Started by Rheged, December 31, 2017, 06:15:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twiddle

The Black Beret: The History of South Africa's Armoured Forces
Volume I - Beginnings to the invasion of Madagascar 1942

Volume II - The Italian Campaign 1943 - 45 and Post-War South Africa 1946 - 1961

Both authored by Willem Steenkamp
Kit instructions are not acceptable - let the imagination howl forth !

NARSES2

Quote from: Twiddle on September 30, 2018, 06:23:39 AM
Volume I - Beginnings to the invasion of Madagascar 1942

Interesting. Will cover some often neglected theatres  :thumbsup:

Meanwhile picked up from the P.O. yesterday "For King and Country: Indian Soldiers on the Western Front 1914 - 1918" by Shrabani Basu

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Another WH Smiths bookazine, this one is 'RAF Patrollers and Airlifters'. Full of flying boats in the front half and big transports in the rear half.

Not bad, and good pics, but a trifle light on text perhaps.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Nick

Some time in the last month I picked up a copy of Red Eagles which is the story of the top secret USAF unit that test flew all the stolen or borrowed Soviet aircraft as well as some very secret US machines.

QF32 by Richard De Crespigny. Back in 2010 the engine on a new Airbus A380 exploded mid air after taking off from Singapore. De Crespigny was the captain and this is how the crew got the aircraft safely back on the ground.
I've dipped into it and it mentions that he flew Caribou and tried for F-111's in the RAAF but got removed from the course after just 20 minutes..... The instructors had quit to go for better pay with QANTAS. He followed them 6 months later.

TheChronicOne

The major focus this year for me has been airliners. So, it's no surprise that I snagged these. They both came about a week ago but I'm slow to move sometimes...  I haven't even looked at the FSM one yet, but, have devoted some time to reading a bit and looking through the red one there and it is a fantastic little book! The bulk of knowledge inside could be applied, naturally, to building any type of (plastic) aircraft models so it's great to have, and of course, the specifics on the airliner side of the hobby is very nice.  :wub:  Unlike so many publications these days which are ultra lazy; merely copying things from the internet and printing them, this has anecdotes and historical stuff. Good readin', dude!!! 

-Sprues McDuck-

jcf

NARSES2

Prit Buttar's "The Splintered Empires - The Eastern Front 1917-1921"

The fourth of his books on WWI on the Eastern Front.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

I hit the jackpot at the Salvos this morning.

Secret Projects: Flying Saucer Aircraft
American Secret Projects: Bombers, Attack and Anti-Submarine Aircraft 1945 to 1974
British Secret Projects: Jet Bombers since 1949
and
Cold War Peacemaker: The Story of Cowtown and the Convair B-36

All for $8 each.  Bargain!
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

No idea what Salvos is, but you certainly did well there  :thumbsup:

zenrat

Salvation Army Op Shop.  What you would call a charity shop.
I rarely go in but Mrs z and I were walking past and she suggested having a look.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on October 06, 2018, 02:36:33 AM

Salvation Army Op Shop.  What you would call a charity shop.
I rarely go in but Mrs z and I were walking past and she suggested having a look.

Worth her weight in gold!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on October 06, 2018, 02:36:33 AM

She obviously thought you were more then their top offer ?  :rolleyes:

zenrat

Biggles Air Detective by Captain W.E.Johns.
Dean & Son edition.  Hardback with a fairly good condition paper slip cover.  Not sure of the publication date but it says copyright 1952.

Fred

NARSES2

Rheged

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 13, 2018, 02:41:02 AM
Its as old as me  ;D

....and me too.    Are we old enough to be out of copyright by now?
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet