My library just grew again 2018

Started by Rheged, December 31, 2017, 06:15:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Osprey Men at Arms Roman Heavy Cacalry (1) Cataphractarii and Clibanarii ; 1st Century BC to 5th Century AD.

I've been fascinated by these types of armoured cavalry ever since I first started ancient wargaming when I was 10 or 11 and discovered Donald Featherstone and Tony Bath  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

I borrowed a book on the Bugatti 100P from an aviation fan friend, which covers the original aircraft and the reproduction one too. It was printed after the first flight of the repro but before its fatal crash. It's an amazing book, and I may buy one for myself.

Tophe, you'd LOVE it as it has a chapter on the 100P's designer, who wasn't Mr. Bugatti, and his early designs, all of which are very FRENCH and many are TWIN BOOMERS too!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Somebody mentioned a new bookazine out about the Hawker Hunter so I popped into my local newsagent and skimmed through it then walked out after payed for it.

As it's book four I may have to go to Key Publishing and buy the other three  :banghead:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

The Wooksta!

Paul La Violette: Secrets of Antigravity Propulsion

Some of it very technical but quite a bit of it very fascinating.  Currently halfway through.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Hobbes

Reusable space transportation systems (Kuczera and Sacher)

Gondor

Arrived today from the SAM Publication black Friday sale  :blink:

MDF Scaled Down 6 The Blackburn Buccaneer

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

'Hawker Hunter -  the operational history' given to me as a pressie from a good friend who's ex-Hunter pilot husband has just died. She said 'I can't think of anyone who'd appreciate it more' and was she ever right!  ;D

It's full of sketches and explanations all the early and late Hunter based projects as well as loads of Hunter pics from all users and all marks. One really interesting project was one to carry two Firestreaks alongside the gun pack with two cannon removed, so it looked a sort of slim-line Lightning!

Well buildable from stock!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Birthday present from one of my sisters.

The Quest for Speed - Air Racing & the Influence of the Schneider Trophy Contests 1913-31 by Mike Roussel

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Happy birthday mate  :cheers:

Meanwhile my annual present to my library. The Beano Album 2018  :thumbsup: Not as good as back in the non PC days but still a good giggle, especially after a couple  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Thanks Chris.  It was actually on the 9th. Suzanne ordered the book in plenty of time but it took a while for Booktopia to locate a copy of it.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 06, 2018, 01:53:11 PM
I borrowed a book on the Bugatti 100P from an aviation fan friend, which covers the original aircraft and the reproduction one too. It was printed after the first flight of the repro but before its fatal crash. It's an amazing book, and I may buy one for myself.

Tophe, you'd LOVE it as it has a chapter on the 100P's designer, who wasn't Mr. Bugatti, and his early designs, all of which are very FRENCH and many are TWIN BOOMERS too!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The designer was the Belgian Louis de Monge, there's a 5 page thread on Secret Projects:
https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,10809.0.html

And a longer one on Retroplane:
http://www.retroplane.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4811&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

reddfoxx

Some fairly common ones that I didn't have, early Christmas presents for myself:

Piper: A Legend Aloft, by Edward Phillips. 

Lockheed Martin's Skunk Works, by Jay Miller.

Fairchild Aircraft 1926-1987, by Kent Mitchell.

Leading Observer

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 18, 2018, 10:04:53 AM
'Hawker Hunter -  the operational history' given to me as a pressie from a good friend who's ex-Hunter pilot husband has just died. She said 'I can't think of anyone who'd appreciate it more' and was she ever right!  ;D

It's full of sketches and explanations all the early and late Hunter based projects as well as loads of Hunter pics from all users and all marks. One really interesting project was one to carry two Firestreaks alongside the gun pack with two cannon removed, so it looked a sort of slim-line Lightning!

Well buildable from stock!  :thumbsup:

Now that sounds very interesting :thumbsup:
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

jcf

From the Conway History of the Ship series, for $20 at the local Halfprice Books.

zenrat

From my lovely wife for chrissie - Armoured Trains: An Illustrated Encyclopaedia 1825 - 2016 by PaulMalmassari.
I've wanted this since JCF (I think) posted a link to it a few years ago.  Took two years of asking but I got it.
I've skimmed it and it looks great.
Fred