My library just grew again 2018

Started by Rheged, December 31, 2017, 06:15:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: Thorvic on March 08, 2018, 10:36:27 AM

Yeap its been split which makes the series a little bit more interesting....

Absolutely and from my point of view I'm far more interested in these then the latter, in historical terms, volumes
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

jcf

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 09, 2018, 06:25:27 AM
Quote from: Thorvic on March 08, 2018, 10:36:27 AM

Yeap its been split which makes the series a little bit more interesting....

Absolutely and from my point of view I'm far more interested in these then the latter, in historical terms, volumes
Ditto.  :thumbsup:
I sold on the jet volumes some time ago and only kept the '35 - '50 book.

Rheged

Cheap, from Oxfam Hereford "RAF Squadrons: A Comprehensive Record of the Movement and Equipment of All RAF Squadrons and Their Antecedents since  1912"  Airlife.    A fascinating book of who flew what, from where and when. I paid  considerably less than the copy advertised below!

https://www.worldofbooks.com/raf-squadrons-a-comprehensive-record-of-the-movement-and-equipment-of-all-raf-squadrons-and-their-antecedents-since-1912-by-c-g-jefford-gor001067407.html?keyword=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1aPHkMXk2QIV57ftCh2HTQkbEAYYASABEgJ5lPD_BwE
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Mossie

British Secret Projects 2: Jet Bombers since 1949, 2nd ed.

Late birthday pressie. :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

Quote from: Weaver on February 22, 2018, 06:19:25 AM
Soooo, I went for an eye test this morning, then I went shopping for shoes. Unfortunately, one of the shoe shops is next to a charity shop, so I came back with:

1. The Carrier War from the Time Life 'Epic Of Flight' series
2. America in the Air War (ditto)
3. The Goon Show Scripts by Spike Milligan
4. More Goon Show Scripts (ditto)
5. No shoes

Now you may conclude from this that:

a) I don't like shopping for shoes
or b) I'm easily distracted
or c) I really needed that eye test
or d) All of the above

However, I would counter that I am now:

a) slightly better informed
b) slightly better entertained
c) slightly less mobile
d) Quite content with this outcome...  ;)

Okay, a pattern is starting to form here. Yesterday I had to drop my car off for a major service, so since I was going to be riding around on buses anyway, I thought I might as well go into Manchester for an afternoon's shameless consumerism. Firmly on my list of things to buy were the three pairs of shoes that I didn't get back in February, and firmly on my list of thinds NOT to look at were book shops. I came back with:

a) SAM Publications Mosquito FB.VI guide by Dave Brown
b) Flypast's Mosquito bookazine from 2009
c) One pair of shoes

Before the sniggering starts, may I point out that:

a) Getting one pair of shoes is a 100% performance improvement on getting none,
b) The Mosquito books ambushed me by not being in a book shop.

The books were in the clearance sale section of the Fred Aldous craft shop, and had presumably been bought to go with the Airfix 1/24th Mosquito back in 2009 or thereabouts. They were ridiculously cheap: £1.50 the pair. They are also a goldmine of information an detail photographs.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

A man only needs two pairs of shoes - one pair brown, one black. At a push a single pair of dark brown ones will do  :angel:

Weaver

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 13, 2018, 07:37:06 AM
A man only needs two pairs of shoes - one pair brown, one black. At a push a single pair of dark brown ones will do  :angel:

Unless he works in a factory where he has to wear steelies which get spattered with white glue that doesn't come off: then he needs three pairs. :thumbsup:

Also, Nike might beg to differ....  ;D

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Mossie

Brian Clough on Posh Spice:
QuoteWho the hell wants fourteen pairs of shoes when they go on holiday? I haven't had fourteen pairs in my life.
:angel: :wacko:

Rheged

Those of us who live in rural areas might substitute a good pair of walking boots  on this short list .  Perhaps instead of the brown shoes?
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rheged on March 14, 2018, 02:19:35 AM

Those of us who live in rural areas might substitute a good pair of walking boots  on this short list .  Perhaps instead of the brown shoes?

Wellies.............
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

If it wisnae fur yur wellies....
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=billy+connolly+wellies&view=detail&mid=3A3D0ECDEDF03BB9AC063A3D0ECDEDF03BB9AC06&FORM=VIRE

Exactly my shoe collection.  1 pair of black shoes for work, one pair of brown shoes for going out, one pair of walking boots cum-trainers kind of things, one pair of wellies.

PR19_Kit

Some Mrs_PR19-ness must have worn off on me because I've got maybe 20 pairs of shoes, including two pairs of cycling shoes and one pair of proper deck shoes for 'messing about in boats'.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

What you lot are forgetting is that ; trainers, plimsoles, sandals, boots and wellingtons are not SHOES. At least not South of the River anyway