My library just grew again 2018

Started by Rheged, December 31, 2017, 06:15:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

At Huddersfield Mossie gave me a small book of the type you tend to get in museum bookshops etc - "The Battle of Wakefield Revisited : A fresh perspective on the Richard of York's final battle, December 1460".

An excellent book and I read it on the way home from Leeds on the train, so strangely appropriate  ;)

I do disagree with one claim in the book however, and that is that the nursery rhyme "The Grand Old Duke of York" can be attributed to this battle. I was always taught that the Duke in question was Frederick Duke of York and Albany and refers to his actions in Flanders in 1793-1794. However it's also supposed to refer to James II and there is a French version as well. So like al nursery rhymes we will never know  ;D

Cheers Mossie  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mossie

Your welcome Chris!  Fast reading, it'd take me the best part of a week!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

NARSES2

Quote from: Mossie on February 13, 2018, 06:41:12 AM
Your welcome Chris!  Fast reading, it'd take me the best part of a week!

Train was running late, but I just got into it  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Hobbes

Spaceflight in the era of aerospaceplanes (secondhand, it was published in 1994 and is long out of print). Discusses space planes like HOTOL, Sanger and NASP.

Weaver

Steampunk by Henry Winchester

It's a general guide to the genre (as of 2014) with some excellent artwork, and it was in The Works at a mere £3. For that price, it's minor flaws can certainly be overlooked and I'd recommend it to anybody who's interested.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Leading Observer

From my late fathers library, discovered in a box of photo albums: Camouflage of 1939-42 Aircraft by Owen G Thetford with " illustrations in full colour" by C Rupert Moore, A.R.C.A published 1946
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

NARSES2

Been pondering this on Amazon where it was reduced from £25 to £20 and then all of a sudden it was in the Osprey sale for £6 !!!!

How could I refuse  ;)

Instrument of War - The German Army 1914-1918

Steel Penguin

British secret projects 1  fighters, saw it at Cosford and couldn't resist, been after it for a wile, and I had means and opportunity.   :wacko:
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Spey_Phantom

arrived yesterday from Amazon :)

-Luftwaffe secret projects: Vol.2: Bombers  :thumbsup:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Weaver

Soooo, I went for an eye test this morning, then I went shopping for shoes. Unfortunately, one of the shoe shops is next to a charity shop, so I came back with:

1. The Carrier War from the Time Life 'Epic Of Flight' series
2. America in the Air War (ditto)
3. The Goon Show Scripts by Spike Milligan
4. More Goon Show Scripts (ditto)
5. No shoes

Now you may conclude from this that:

a) I don't like shopping for shoes
or b) I'm easily distracted
or c) I really needed that eye test
or d) All of the above

However, I would counter that I am now:

a) slightly better informed
b) slightly better entertained
c) slightly less mobile
d) Quite content with this outcome...  ;)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Quote from: Weaver on February 22, 2018, 06:19:25 AM

Used to drink in the Grafton in Struton Ground at times when at work. Loads of Goons memorabilia there. Now called the Strutton Arms I think, no idea if they still have the memorabilia, especially Spikes scribbling on the ceiling  ;D

rickshaw

Both excellent purchases.  I treasure mine and reread them when I am depressed.   Nothing brings a smile to my face as such treasures as:

"What does a Greek Urn?"
"Five bob a day!"

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Weaver

Quote from: rickshaw on February 23, 2018, 08:53:18 PM

Both excellent purchases.  I treasure mine and reread them when I am depressed.   Nothing brings a smile to my face as such treasures as:

"What does a Greek Urn?"
"Five bob a day!"

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

"Is this ship sinking?"
"Only the bit that's under the water..."

- Indiana Jones

Rheged

Both of my sons, who are too young to have heard the Goons in full flight, found my copies of the works of literature discussed above.  As a direct result they now have cassette tapes (remember them?) or CDs of just about every Goon Show recorded.

Signs off with cries of " Eccles!! He's fallen in the water!"  and  "Ouch, you swine,  you have deaded me again"
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

zenrat

Needle nardle noo.

I have them as digital files.  They make a wonderfull (house) painting accompaniment.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..