My stash just grew again 2018.

Started by Martin H, December 31, 2017, 03:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayBee

Quote from: TheChronicOne on July 21, 2018, 08:09:07 AM

All I need now is the Boeing 717 (MD-95  ;D )

Excuse me but for Boeing 717 you should read C-135, the MD-95 is just an imposter.  :wacko:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

TheChronicOne

Quote from: JayBee on July 21, 2018, 08:43:46 AM

Excuse me but for Boeing 717 you should read C-135, the MD-95 is just an imposter.  :wacko:
Ha!! That answers the question I've been wondering about which is why did they skip the 717 and only come back to it way later? Now I know!   ;D ;D     

The answer was under my nose the whole time.  :rolleyes: ;D   I can drive out about 20 miles North of here and watch the KC 135s refuelling jets. It's pretty cool.  :mellow: :mellow:
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Quote from: JayBee on July 21, 2018, 08:43:46 AM

Like Jim says, Boeing carried on building the MD95 design from McDonnell-Douglas and re-named it the 717. Oddly your 720 was also named as a 717 at one stage too, but that didn't last long.

You could build an MD95/717 using a couple of Welsh Models kits, but a) that'd be an expensive option and b) it'd be pretty fiddly too.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

I considered that but decided I'd go ahead and just buy the Eastern Express kit. I just can't find one for less than $40 but I'm close to just paying it and going about my business. It's the cheapest one I can find!  :rolleyes:

"Jet Airliner" 717.  :o ;D

EDIT:  AH hell, I'm so weak!  ;D   I went ahead and bought the thing.  :rolleyes: :rolleyes:   My reasoning is as such: Tomorrow I go mow a lawn for $40 and I asked myself, "Would you mow this dude's lawn if he gave you this model kit for it? "   "Yes" was the answer.   :wacko:    For shame.  ;D   But, now I have my whole collection of 7x7 airliners!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

We'll be waiting for the 797 soon then.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

jcf

The MD-95 became the 717-200, which is one way to get around the model number reuse.  :wacko:

The Pan American 720Bs were three 720-023B and six 720-030B, originally delivered to American
and Lufthansa respectively.

Looking at the sprue shots on the Roden website, the 720 and the 720B kits have different engine
sprues.

720B

PR19_Kit

Those wing shapes look good, much better than my attempts years ago to make a 720 out of an Airfix 707. That leading edge extension is a real pain to do in that small scale.

Regards
Kit

jcf

According to the Boeing document D6-58322 707 Airplane Characteristics for Airport Planning,
on the 720B the tail span was increased from 39' 8" to 43' 4".

http://www.boeing.com/resources/boeingdotcom/commercial/airports/acaps/707.pdf

TheChronicOne

Thanks Jon!! That's good! They must have fixed that issue with later releases. The thing I read about it was a bit out of date so I was wondering. That's why I thought the United bird might also have proper sized engines. I wonder which kit was the first to get the fixed engines??  I would like one of them rock band models!!  :mellow: :mellow: :wub:

Yup.... 797 is only one left now, they need to hurry up and build it.  ;D

I guess now I can try to get all the Airbus stuff?  :unsure:
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TheChronicOne on July 22, 2018, 01:46:53 AM

I guess now I can try to get all the Airbus stuff?  :unsure:

That's pretty straightforward, apart from the original A300.

Revell do everything else in 1/144, or did anyway, but the A300 was only moulded by Airfix and it's long OOP. Plus you'll need a Revell A310 to donate its air-con blisters under the fuselage as Airfix didn't deem it necessary to include them..........  :banghead:

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Well here's the good part, I've TWO of those old Airfic A-300!  Got them both dirt cheap in lots with other things.  ;D   Didn't know about the air conditioning thingies! I'll do my best to remember that when the day comes I build one. As far as collecting them goes, I'm off to a decent start and I think all I need are the "smaller" ones. I have two A-380s (well, one isn't here yet... ) the two A300s and an A340. I don't think I have any of the other ones.  :unsure:

Now for the fun part... I have another addition to my stash!! This is another of the "I didn't think I'd actually get this."  I sent the man an offer of $36 for it and he accepted!  The shipping was another $10 flat. Fantastic!!

Crappy pictures. I think I might take more, and better, pictures of all this stuff, plastic included at some point and post them in my blog. This thing is SUPER COOL, man. It even comes with a wee 1/144 POTUS figure!!   :o :wub: :wub: :wub:
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TheChronicOne on July 22, 2018, 02:29:41 AM

It even comes with a wee 1/144 POTUS figure!!   :o :wub: :wub: :wub:

But which one?  ;D

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 22, 2018, 03:09:32 AM
Quote from: TheChronicOne on July 22, 2018, 02:29:41 AM

It even comes with a wee 1/144 POTUS figure!!   :o :wub: :wub: :wub:

But which one?  ;D

I was wondering the same thing!!!!!  ;D ;D     I'm going to try to take a closer look later and see if I recognize anyone... I'm also wanting to look for more figures...  I hope there are at least a couple.  :lol:

EDIT:  By the by, I came across (and bought  :rolleyes: ) a set of 1/144 Airliner Figures. 11 of 'em, they appear all to be maintenance personnel.
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

N Scale model railroad figures are close, they're 1/160 scale in the US. But in the UK they're even closer as they're 1/148.

A good name to look for is Preiser, German figures but very well done.

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 22, 2018, 07:55:37 AM
N Scale model railroad figures are close, they're 1/160 scale in the US. But in the UK they're even closer as they're 1/148.

A good name to look for is Preiser, German figures but very well done.

Kit, you're better than Scalmates, I do declare!! Them TV shows where people need to call in an expert? That's you for this airliner stuff.  ;D  Sure enough, nailed it again..   Preiser is the maker of these! When I was looking at the other stuff Oli has I saw some of those 1/148 packs of figures. I was thinking, "You know, that's close enough to 1/144 that any size difference could be chalked up to it being.... say, a teenager or just a petite person or something.  Yeah? Sounds reasonable to me.  ;D   

I kinda like the guy toting the garbage sacks back there.... and the lady. Lady figures are nice, I don't see too many. I sure would like some flight stewardesses and stuff like that. Hell, just being that they're civvie figures is a novelty in my book. I'm wondering if this is the only set of airliner figures or civvie figures they made?  I'd like a bunch of random people, you know, to line up as if they're boarding the old school way at the sky stairs (or whatever they're called).   
-Sprues McDuck-