My stash just grew again 2018.

Started by Martin H, December 31, 2017, 03:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 30, 2018, 10:17:51 AM
Wandered into my LHS (20 miles away in Gloucester) which is an occasion that only happens maybe 4-5 times/yr, looking for some bits and pieces, glue, paint etc.

To my utter amazement there on the shelves was a 1/24 AMT Sunbeam Tiger kit!!!!!!  :o :o

I've got one of the Blueprinter series of this kit from way back when, and I'd built an original one even further ago, but seeing a NEW one blew my mind. It seems it's by a company called 'Round2', who I've never heard of before, and it seems they've bought up loads of AMT, MPC, Auto World and other moulds and are re-popping them. Their web site is WELL worth looking at for the car modellers amongst us, but they also do some Lindberg non-car stuff too.

Needless to say the LHS no longer has the Tiger kit, I've got it.  ;D :thumbsup:

The personal link is I worked on the early prototypes of the Tiger in the mid 60s, one superb motor car.  :thumbsup:

1/25.
It's a lovely little kit although you'll need to shave the lumps off the tops of the inner fenders to get it to sit lower at the front.  Built OOB it rides like an SUV.
Also, if being fussy about accuracy you might like to mount the engine further back.
Does it have the "custom" parts?
How do the scripts, badges and trim look?  On the one I built (Matchbox boxing) they were very faint and would have disappeared under the paint.  I knocked up some decals to replace them.  Let me know if you want a copy of the file so you can print some.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Yes, I recall the front suspension mod from doing the first one back in the day. And I moved the lump back about a yard too! The one thing that was the most obvious difference between the Alpine and Tiger bodyshells was the HUGE gearbox tunnel on the Tiger to take the equally massive bell housing and gear box.

The engine on the real thing is mounted so far back that in order to change the #4 and #8 sparkplugs you need to peel back the carpet on the gearbox tunnel, and then unscrew two small circular panels on the tunnel itself to gain access to the plugs! I've done it a few times and it's not fun.

I'm seriously wondering if I could scratch build a Commer Cob body to fit over the kit's chassis and engine to reproduce the test van that was had in the 60s. There was so little room in the Alpine/Tiger boot and rear seat area that our test instrumentation wouldn't fit, so we built up a Cob with a Tiger underframe, reversed the passenger seat and installed the instrumentation in the back.  ;D

The only way you could tell it from a standard Cob van was the wider rear tyres and twin exhausts. And the fact that it had just left you standing at any set of traffic lights you happened to find yourself.  ;D The Cob actually weighed LESS than a Tiger as it was totally trim-less and didn't have the hefty cross member under the floor to strengthen it.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Shades of the Ford Transit van shell that was mounted on a F1 car Kit.  Sounds fascinating though -----
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Gondor

Picked up from the postal sorting office on my way home from work some ebay purchases

1 x 1/72 Trumpeter Shenyang F8II Finback-B

1 x 1/144 Trumpeter Tu-16K-10 Badger C

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on January 31, 2018, 05:33:56 PM

Shades of the Ford Transit van shell that was mounted on a F1 car Kit.  Sounds fascinating though -----

Supavan 1, 2 & 3. There's pics of all three of them on here somewhere, awesome machines!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Rheged

There used to be a Morris Minor (at one time painted lilac and masquerading as a Morris Minor Million http://www.minormillion.co.uk/history.html ) on the auto sprint circuit  with ...I think...a large Jaguar engine installed.  I saw it many years ago in a sprint event on Blackpool sea front.  Apart from wide back tyres and non standard exhausts  it looked like an elderly maiden lady's " shopping and going to bingo"  car.....but it travelled remarkably rapidly.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

That must have been fun, and it would have needed equally as large gearbox tunnel as the Tiger did.

By co-incidence there's an article on the Minor Millions in Classic & Sports Car magazine this month. One of my colleagues at Pressed Steel's mother had a Million and he drove it to work sometimes. You could spot it in the car park from MILES away!

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

Quote from: Rheged on February 01, 2018, 12:44:42 PM
There used to be a Morris Minor (at one time painted lilac and masquerading as a Morris Minor Million http://www.minormillion.co.uk/history.html ) on the auto sprint circuit  with ...I think...a large Jaguar engine installed.  I saw it many years ago in a sprint event on Blackpool sea front.  Apart from wide back tyres and non standard exhausts  it looked like an elderly maiden lady's " shopping and going to bingo"  car.....but it travelled remarkably rapidly.
I used to go and watch those sprints too, and the motorbike ones too, I lived a couple of miles down the road.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

zenrat

I used to go the Brighton Speed Trials.  There was a Minor with a twin turbo Rover V8.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Another parcel from the Big H, this one containing an AZ MB6, a donor for my Welkin III's other engine, and the TEENY Ki-78!

It's such a neat little thing, the whole wing, tip to tip, is all in one piece, top and bottom as well. It'll make a good pair with a Huma Me-209 that I have somewhere.

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Managed to save the postie trying to squeeze a parcel through my letterbox

1 x 1/72 Italeri Wessex HAS.3

Ended up sending the eBay seller a poison pen letter as all the flimsy box was in was a plastic envelope  :angry:  Not a happy bunny finding that out!

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Martin H

Quote from: zenrat on February 01, 2018, 07:06:34 PM
I used to go the Brighton Speed Trials.  There was a Minor with a twin turbo Rover V8.

Ive seen footage of a reliant three wheeler van with a V12 mounted in what was the cargo bed. It had concrete ballast in the old engine bay to keep its nose on the ground as it burned up the strip at Santa pod race way.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

The Chaos

New at my Stash
1/72 Resin

1/144 Whitmetall

and Big Tanks

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Martin H on February 02, 2018, 11:55:48 AM
Quote from: zenrat on February 01, 2018, 07:06:34 PM

Ive seen footage of a reliant three wheeler van with a V12 mounted in what was the cargo bed. It had concrete ballast in the old engine bay to keep its nose on the ground as it burned up the strip at Santa pod race way.

The mind truly BOGGLES!  ;D ;)

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Ooooh I like that Vor'cha class  .. . .. .    :mellow:
-Sprues McDuck-