My stash just grew again 2018.

Started by Martin H, December 31, 2017, 03:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

A classic!! I got a little 1/144 Boeing 707 today. I couldn't pass it up for $13 shipped even if the plastic is raggedy.

It's glorious!!!  :wub:

Now that I have this one, I'm thinking of getting rid of the one I already have because it takes up so much room:

I'm just not sure. It's so cool. I might just make a series of 707's in all the scales I can.  :banghead:   Decisions, decisions.
-Sprues McDuck-

Spey_Phantom

Quote from: Nils on March 27, 2018, 12:16:09 PM
just placed an order online :)

-Academy 1/144 MiG-29A Fulcrum (to use as a parts source)
-AMK 1/72 IAI Kfir C2/C7
-Airfix 1/72 McDD Phantom FG.1
-Heller 1/72 SAAB Tunnan
-Italeri 1/72 HSS-1 SeaBat
-Trumpeter 1/72 H-5 Bomber
-Zvezda 1/100 Maus Tank

arrived today  :mellow:
my god the Airfix Phantom is a real gem of a kit, and the AMK Kfir has a huge amount of weapons options.
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TheChronicOne on March 29, 2018, 09:41:24 AM

A classic!! I got a little 1/144 Boeing 707 today. I couldn't pass it up for $13 shipped even if the plastic is raggedy.

It's glorious!!!  :wub:

The only problem with the Airfix 707 is that it's a -420 with Conway engines and the deep ventral fin. Only five RW airlines operated the -420, which could be handy as almost any other scheme makes it automatically a Whiff.  :thumbsup:

The five were BOAC, El Al, Lufthansa, Varig and Air India IIRC.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

A 420 you say?!  ;D  WELL THEN, I think "Chronic Airlines" may be open for business soon!  ;D The transfers that came with it didn't look ruined but don't look that stellar, either, so in knowing that they're wrong anyway I think I'll agree and make it a whif!

-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Ah yes, but BOAC morphed into British Airways in 1972, so it was just a repaint job for them to produce the scheme that you have in that kit. When Airfix first put it out it was in the pukka BOAC scheme too.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 30, 2018, 11:37:24 AM
Ah yes, but BOAC morphed into British Airways in 1972, so it was just a repaint job for them to produce the scheme that you have in that kit. When Airfix first put it out it was in the pukka BOAC scheme too.
Ahhh ok, I see, I misunderstood! I didn't realize that about BOAC becoming British Airways.  :thumbsup:  Transfers are good after all.  :mellow: :mellow:

I think I like the Chronic idea better anyway, though. I think it would be neat to make my own fictional jetliner so may as well be this one....   Good as any although I have to say that the BA livery makes for a really good looking aeroplane!
-Sprues McDuck-

Weaver

On the other hand, the fact that the Airfix 707 has Conways makes it a natural for all kinds of British-based whiffy alternatives. For instance, what if the RAF bought Conway-engined 707 tankers? They could be new in the 1960s, in place of the Victors or early VC-10s, or second-hand in the 1980s in place of the later Victors and/or the Tristars bought post-Falklands. Rationales for the '60s case might be that the RAF chose flying-boom refuelling for the V-Force and it was easier to adapt the gear to a 707 than a British type, or that the Victors were needed for other purposes and so not available. Rational for the post-Falklands case might simply be that the 707s were cheaper or more available than the Tristars (which were ex-airline).

Maybe you could write a story in which -420s were licence-built in the UK? That would make it a palatably 'British' aircraft as far as the MoD's concerned, and might see things like a Conway-engined AWACS (rotordome or FASS) for the RAF in the 1970s.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

Had a generally disappointing trip out to Leek today: most of the interesting little shops that had a few models in them (and were still there just three years ago) had gone and been replaced by charity shops, betting shops and coffee shops in the manner of seemingly all town centres these days. There was a collectible toys shop which was interesting to look at (and which, I suspect, had hoovered up some of the stock from the closures), but he was savvy enough to be charging collectors' prices for everything... :angry:

Anyway, on the way home, I called into SMTF in Poynton, and was cheered to see them carrying a healthy stock of new and second-hand kits, despite being primarily a model train shop (again, prices aren't a bargain, but they are fair...). Came away with:

Oxford diecast 1/76th Rolls Royce Phantom V
Bagged Italeri 1/72nd Hughes OH-6A Cayuse helicopter

Might be going back for other things once I've done a bit of research... ;)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

The Wooksta!

I've just taken delivery of a Frogspawn Whitley from one of the guys on Britmodeller.  Looks too clean to be a Soviet era moulding and given that I have a Frog original in similar white plastic and the rear turret gubbins moulding is quite sharp, I'm guessing it's a genuine Frog one.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

TheChronicOne

For awhile they were getting larger, now I'm going in the opposite direction:

:wub:

These things are neat lil airplanes and this is a nifty kit because it's actually two.
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Yeeeeeeeaaaaaaah!  :thumbsup:

That LS BD-5 is a CRACKING little kit, and lots of options too. But it's not easy trying to get a pilot to fit in there, he needs to be VERY slim!

Regards
Kit

Weaver

I've got 'half' of one of those BD-5 kits, i.e. somebody built the jet version out of it then sold on the prop version. It has nice long wings (relatively speaking...)

- Indiana Jones

TheChronicOne

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 30, 2018, 03:49:14 PM
Yeeeeeeeaaaaaaah!  :thumbsup:

That LS BD-5 is a CRACKING little kit, and lots of options too. But it's not easy trying to get a pilot to fit in there, he needs to be VERY slim!
Heh!! I've already been trying to find a couple. I have one here but just looking at it I'm not sure he'll fit.  ;D  I definitely want them though, because with pilot figures it'll really drive home the size of these.

The one curious thing I saw in the kit was that it provides USAF markings and roundels but doesn't mention them (that I could see.... ). It's like they had "what if" in mind!
-Sprues McDuck-

kitnut617

The pilot figures out of a Hobbycraft Avro Canada Arrow fit ---

This is the Arii boxing where you get four aircraft, two jets and two prop ones

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Weaver on March 30, 2018, 04:29:09 PM
I've got half of one of those BD-5s, i.e. somebody built the jet version out of then sold on the prop version. It has nice long wings (relatively speaking...)
Huh... I didn't realize they were different wings. That's pretty cool! Bummer about the missing one; for a moment when I saw that mine was opened already I thought I might have the same situation but thankfully both were in there.
-Sprues McDuck-