My stash just grew again 2018.

Started by Martin H, December 31, 2017, 03:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

I've always said I liked aircraft with long wings, haven't I? Well now I've got one with REALLY long wings, like 10 FEET!

It's a 1970s vintage Kiel Kraft Elmira R/C sailplane, bought for me for a song by my good mate Pete at the Old Warden event at the weekend. It needs a bit of work but I know how to do that because here's one I prepared earlier....

I started this one in 1971 but things sort of got in the way of completion and it's been in The Loft for decades, but as soon as I've finished the bout of real railway stuff I'm ploughing through I'll get right on it (them....).

And it's perfectly allowable on here because it's a 'Whiff in a Box' (a BIG box!) as there never was an RW Elmira.  ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

Bought the  1/72 Curtiss C-46 Commando which is the Williams Brothers Model Products repackaged by S+M Models. There's some flash to remove and you get USAF or JASDF decals. With a sheet of instructions and diagrams of how the parts fit together.
I think that I'm going to need some reference material before starting the build.
The temptation is to use the wings from a B-17G instead of the ones in the kit.

zenrat

Quote from: McColm on May 14, 2018, 01:06:38 PM
Bought the  1/72 Curtiss C-46 Commando which is the Williams Brothers Model Products repackaged by S+M Models. There's some flash to remove and you get USAF or JASDF decals. With a sheet of instructions and diagrams of how the parts fit together.
I think that I'm going to need some reference material before starting the build.
The temptation is to use the wings from a B-17G instead of the ones in the kit.

Air America?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

The Wooksta!

5 Airfix Spitfire mk Ia starter sets from Home Bargains fell into my hands yesterday.  At £2.99, it would be stupid not to.

I would have bought more but have limited funds until Friday.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

McColm

I found a tatty 1/24 or 1/25 made in Hong Kong TAT 007 Bentley Continental 2 door drop coupe in a rather tatty condition. I'm hoping that the Minicraft Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud MkIII can be used as a donor for parts.
I've bought the Polar Lights 1/60 Batplane on eBay.

TheChronicOne

Last week's spoils and the stuff I've been waiting on from Canuck-Land finally arrived as well.

I picked up the P-36 for 99 cents then another 5 or 6 bucks shipping. I know it's crappy, but I've been wanting a P-36 and also not wanting to spend much so I snagged it. I'm thinking of using it in the One Week GB. I can slap it together and will paint it blue and yellow.  :laugh:

The F-18 there came with the Italeri Weapons set (I flubbed the pictures, it's below with me airliners). $12 after shipping? I don't know it that's a good deal or not but I was comfortable with it. I wasn't paying attention, though, and the transfers in it actually go to a 1/48 Starfigther.  :o ;D    Oh well.  Another hornet for whif-fodder. What I'm mainly interested in is the weapons set. Neat stuff like nuclear bombs in there and I can use the Phoenixes from it for my current GB build instead of taking them from my Tomcat kits.  :thumbsup:

The Canadian score. I was more interested in the A-340 than the 747 but I'll gladly take it!! $35 a piece after all said and done. Not great, but not bad...   

Stupid flash, when am I going to learn?!  :banghead:

The main haul...$33 a piece for the F-RSIN kits (not the other two I talked about earlier, I'm not that nutty  ;D ). Not TOO bad!   This ate up the whole budget for the week but I have been cutting lawns until I turn green so it was no sweat. The rain..... it makes things stressful because it always throws the schedule out of whack but it also means I'm constantly working.

Oh yeah!! The little 190 there, too. Pretty neat at $17 shipped.

-Sprues McDuck-

strobez

Did you say you paid $35 for the 747-400? Is that a good price? I'm thinking about picking one up.
Thanks!

Greg

TheChronicOne

Quote from: strobez on May 15, 2018, 04:58:32 PM
Did you say you paid $35 for the 747-400? Is that a good price? I'm thinking about picking one up.

It's a decent price, not a great price. If you can get one for $35, shipping and all...  I'd say it's "not bad." That said, I wouldn't spend much more than that for one! Bide your time and be patient and you could get one cheaper pretty easily. eBay is Awesome if you have patience.

The draw on this lot for me was the A-340 which in my experience are harder to get for a decent price. Both together for $70 shipped I thought was fair but if I were to buy a Revell 747 by itself I'd probably try to get it cheaper than $35. Right now on eBay are some for auction that if no one else bids on will go for about $25, shipping and all. Go check 'em out!  :laugh:
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Check the fuselage mouldings on that 747-400.

The early ones had two small bulges underneath the windscreen that Boeing seemed to have missed on their 1:1 scale versions, and the leading edge wing root fairings on the kit are all wrong too.

Revell later re-cut the fuselage moulds after a few critical reviews (one by me...) which was amazing, and the later versions are much better.

I have an awful feeling yours is one of the early ones......
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Maybe I lucked out!! I don't see any bulges there. Then again, I might not realize what I'm looking at, either.

Know what I do see?  Ridiculous panel lines that would be too large on 1/48 let alone this!  ;D ;D 

I've done a wee bit of readin' on this one about others' experiences and apparently this one is fraught with little things here and there that aren't quite right. Most of them are somewhat easily fixed at least. 
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Yes Brad, that's a good one.  :thumbsup:

Don't worry about the panel lines, with two coats of primer and two colour coats you won't see them anywhere near as much.

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Oh nice!!  I feel better now.  ;D ;D 
-Sprues McDuck-

Old Wombat

These arrived today;

Quote from: Old Wombat on May 13, 2018, 08:08:26 PM
1 x Trumpeter 1/350 WWII HMS Belfast 1942 (TR 05334)
1 x Master Models 1/350 HMS Belfast Armament - 6inch (12pcs), 4inch (12pcs) Barrels (SM-350-079)
1 x Kitty Hawk 1/48 Sukhoi Su-17M3/M4 Fitter (KH80144)
1 x Eduard 1/48 Sukhoi Su-17M3/M4 Fitter Interior Detail Set for Kitty Hawk kit #80144 (1PE) (ED FE829)
1 x Aerobonus 1/48 Russian Pilot with KS-4 Ejection Seat for Sukhoi Su-7/Su-9/Su-11/Su-15/Su-17.. (ARB-480087)
1 x Yunan(?) 1/35 Modern US Army SEAL Soldier "Destroyer" w/Helmet (YU-USK-06)

Along with;

African Nations Part 2 Decals from Jason (a.k.a. deathjester) at Stormfront Models :smiley:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

McColm

I found another TAT Bentley S2 Coupe made in Hong Kong no. 007 on eBay.
Looks like someone had a go at restoring it but gave up, it's missing the boot/trunk. It looks in better condition than the one I have at the moment, so I should be able to make one good one out of the two.