My stash just grew again 2018.

Started by Martin H, December 31, 2017, 03:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

I keep forgetting these!  I bought two of these and they arrived about a week ago actually. Mistercraft? I have some of their kits but not that familiar. I've heard their stuff is garbage sometimes but I looked at these and honestly, they don't look bad at all......     A copy of the Airfix kit or something? Also, the transfers come with two liveries and look really good so that's a big plus. They were $9.50 a piece and free shipping, all the way from England across the ocean. Can't beat that... but.. naturally, the boxes are crushed all to hell. Not happy about that just like when it happened to my poor Emrbaer 190 :-\ :-\.  BUT.... I'm willing to take on some mangled boxes if I'm not spending extra.

I just wish folks would spring just a little extra, simply for a box that is a bit bigger than the kit, then just toss it in there! I know it's "free" shipping (in some cases it really is, in some cases people simply factor it into the overall cost and they usually ship things well packed just like with paid shipping, in my experience); don't weight it down with packing material, let the air be buffer zone. Maybe a bit of crumpled up paper in there to keep it from moving around. What's not cool is just wrapping up the kit box in paper, putting it in some flimsy envelope, putting it in some paper thin carboard contraption (this is what came from England on my two Caravelles up there.... I never seen such a set up... some sort of open ended foldy.. ..thing.  :o ;D ;D ;D ;D)  OR heaven forbid, intentionally mashing it to get it to fit into a smaller box.  :rolleyes: :lol: ;D :o

Also got in some 1/200 and 1/144 decals for Aloha air and AIR CALIFORNIA Boeing 737s. Aloha......  it's cool, but not my cup of tea. I do have a plan for one to put the Aloha livery on a WWII Japanese war plane.....   :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:    but we'll get into that later.........    This Air California stuff is glorious. Some might not like it, some might say it's gaudy or Tacky but I just think it's old school and badass.  :mellow:

They have another newer version of this livery and it also looks really nice. You can google that one if you like.  But ain't that something? Look at that nose! 
-Sprues McDuck-

Dizzyfugu

Oh, the Mistercraft Caravelle IS crap, had one of these on the bench for a conversion. What's actually cool, though, is the fact that this specific kit comes with fictional Aeroflot markings - even though this aircraft actually existed as a movie prop!

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on July 03, 2018, 08:06:47 AM
Oh, the Mistercraft Caravelle IS crap, had one of these on the bench for a conversion. What's actually cool, though, is the fact that this specific kit comes with fictional Aeroflot markings - even though this aircraft actually existed as a movie prop!
Is that right!? That IS cool. That takes some of the burn away from the kit not being so good.  ;D ;D     

Well, that's a bummer that it's a crappy kit but I figured it was going in. I guess looks are deceiving as the plastic looks decent but I guess it goes together like azz?  ;D  :o 

Any info on their F-84?   I bought one of theose because it came with Skyblazers transfers (there's a theme here. . .. ).
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Ooooh, Aloha 737! That was the first airliner kit I ever built, back in 1972 I think.

An OOB Airfix 737-200 with the cheat line and fin masked and painted, titles from Letraset for crying out loud, and the little flower things on the fin with all the petals cut from tiny bits of decal. I must have been nuts!

I've still got the model somewhere too.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

So we've gone full circle!  :mellow: :mellow:   That does sound like a lot of work, too bad these weren't around. All the little flowers and everything in one nice, neat package.  :mellow:   You ought to do it again... I can send you these 1/144 ones (the 1/200 go on the 1/144 Kawasaki.. ) then you can find a kit and get busy. But then again you have that nutty GB build.... . ....  ;D :-X

I recently stumbled across an airliner group on Facebook... "airlinver-civil modelers" some such. Pretty neat. Anyway, someone came up with an idea to flood next years Model Expo with Airfix 737-200s.  Turns out they have a message boards like we do. So I said, I'm in! I had just bought the Air Saudia stuff and a kit so what a coincidence. I'll never be able to go to the Expo but I can build some airliners anyway and post some pics.

-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

This is the scheme I did it in, but as I took the colours from a magazine cover they all ended up maybe 5 shades too dark! I'll dig the model out and take some pics of it.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: TheChronicOne on July 03, 2018, 08:11:21 AM
Is that right!? That IS cool. That takes some of the burn away from the kit not being so good.  ;D ;D     

Well, that's a bummer that it's a crappy kit but I figured it was going in. I guess looks are deceiving as the plastic looks decent but I guess it goes together like azz?  ;D  :o 

Any info on their F-84?   I bought one of theose because it came with Skyblazers transfers (there's a theme here. . .. ).

Well, the Caravelle is a typical Sixties kit, with rather vague shapes and according gruesome fit. I guess that the finished model looks like a Caravelle - from a 2m distance! The most horrid things I remember while converting my kit were the engine nacelles, just two slender blobs. I am not certain if it is the same kit as the vintage Airfix Caravelle - it' defo a mold from a different manufacturer. IIRC somebody posted some info under my Il-60 build (last year, IIRC).

Concerning the Mistercraft F-84 I can so far only tell from a look at the parts (have one in the stash, but haven't built one yet) that it appears like a typcial Intech kit (rumor has it that this is an indigenous mold): looks decent, but everything is a bit thick and soft in detail. Certainly not as crisp as e.g. the vintage Heller kit or the more modern Italeri/Fujimi molds.

TheChronicOne

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 03, 2018, 12:54:09 PM
This is the scheme I did it in, but as I took the colours from a magazine cover they all ended up maybe 5 shades too dark! I'll dig the model out and take some pics of it.

Oh, I like that one better than the one the Microscale decals has. It has the hockey stick type where the fin and cheatline blended with one another. (kinky! )
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on July 04, 2018, 01:58:35 AM
Quote from: TheChronicOne on July 03, 2018, 08:11:21 AM

Well, the Caravelle is a typical Sixties kit, with rather vague shapes and according gruesome fit. I guess that the finished model looks like a Caravelle - from a 2m distance! The most horrid things I remember while converting my kit were the engine nacelles, just two slender blobs. I am not certain if it is the same kit as the vintage Airfix Caravelle - it' defo a mold from a different manufacturer. IIRC somebody posted some info under my Il-60 build (last year, IIRC).

Concerning the Mistercraft F-84 I can so far only tell from a look at the parts (have one in the stash, but haven't built one yet) that it appears like a typcial Intech kit (rumor has it that this is an indigenous mold): looks decent, but everything is a bit thick and soft in detail. Certainly not as crisp as e.g. the vintage Heller kit or the more modern Italeri/Fujimi molds.

Aye! Thanks!

I think in 1/72 the Tamiya F-84G is pretty choice. The heller is nice, too, for sure, for its age.
-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on July 03, 2018, 06:21:27 AM
Grabbed an RS Models Ki-87 at my LHS

Well stocked LHS and it's a very nice model  :thumbsup: I'm awaiting the -II which is sufficiently different to warrant it entering the stash.

Meanwhile picked up from the P.O. this morning my second AZ/Freightdog SR 53 which I'll be doing as one of the user squadrons display examples I can remember seeing at Biggin back in the day  ;)

The other was a Wingnut Wings Junkers D.1. First Wingnut I've seen up close and the hype looks to be true  :thumbsup: This is a late War monoplane, some say it didn't see service, but from what I've read a couple did. Now being a monoplane there is hardly any rigging  ;D, but it does have that stereotypical Junker's corrugations to deal with when it comes to the transfers  :unsure: Probably be a real world Freikorps build.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Snatched an Encore 1:72 Yak-9 on ebay for just EUR 7,- incl. p. p..
Rumored to be an incarnation of the ICM kit, and in my case serious conversion fodder.

JayBee

Just arrived from the big H.

2X Airfix Vampire T11, the new boxing with lots of orange dayglo transfers for the RAF example.
2X Eduard wheel/canopy masks for the same.
A&A Helwan Ha-300. A realy nice little kit, based on initial plastic fondling, with etched steel parts and canopy masks both inside and out. The only thing I have against the masks is that they are vinyl and not Kabuki.
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Spey_Phantom

a little gift from the wife  :wub:

-1/144 Trumpeter Su-34
-1/144 Trumpeter J-8II Finback
-1/144 Mini Hobby Models P-51D Mustang
-1/144 Mini Hobby Models Mirage F-1
-1/144 Mini Hobby Models F-111E Aardvark
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Old Wombat

Quote from: Nils on July 06, 2018, 04:54:03 AM
a little gift from the wife  :wub:

:o
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Gondor

Received an eBay purchase and one of my Holy Grail items

1 x 1/72 Model Alliance Decals BAE Sea Harrier Pt1 MA-72153

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....