My stash just grew again 2018.

Started by Martin H, December 31, 2017, 03:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

That sail boat is neat  :thumbsup: Mind you it could have as much rigging as a WWI bi-plane  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 28, 2018, 01:58:48 AM
That sail boat is neat  :thumbsup: Mind you it could have as much rigging as a WWI bi-plane  ;D
Oh man, I didn't think of that!  :o ;D 

This thing is a lot bigger than I thought, too. This box is rather large indeed.  This is certainly not my normal fair. I wanted something "different" and I know these things go for a hefty sum most times so I decided to jump on it while I could have one at a decent price. Sure is a lovely subject; bright, colorful, etc. And to think they sailed this contraption across the Atlantic in less than 5 days. I was wondering what their average speed wound up being? The stuff I had read didn't say.. 

-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

Quote from: TheChronicOne on July 28, 2018, 02:20:53 AM

And to think they sailed this contraption across the Atlantic in less than 5 days. I was wondering what their average speed wound up being? The stuff I had read didn't say.. 

Problem with that is, that you need to know the port of departure and the port of arrival. You can gain or lose a couple of thousand miles that way. Some of these races across the pond (especially the rowing ones) are from the Azores to the West Indies. Others are from France or the UK to the US East Coast.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Now that the medics have allowed me to drive outside Lydney city limits I took a trip to my LHS in Gloucester (20 miles away...) y'day.

Amazingly none of the kits leapt off the shelves into my hands, but I did buy them out of their entire stock of Revell Contacta cement, all three bottles that they had in stock.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I also got a set of tiddly needle files, one's I've been looking for for some time.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 28, 2018, 02:52:31 AM
Quote from: TheChronicOne on July 28, 2018, 02:20:53 AM

And to think they sailed this contraption across the Atlantic in less than 5 days. I was wondering what their average speed wound up being? The stuff I had read didn't say.. 

Problem with that is, that you need to know the port of departure and the port of arrival. You can gain or lose a couple of thousand miles that way. Some of these races across the pond (especially the rowing ones) are from the Azores to the West Indies. Others are from France or the UK to the US East Coast.

Good ol' Wiki to the rescue:

"This route is the fastest, as it follows the prevailing westerlies. It is the one that meets the most interest among skippers. The crossing must be made from Ambrose Light of (New York) to an imaginary line linking Lizard Point, Cornwall to Ushant. The distance is around 2,880 nautical miles (5,330 km; 3,310 mi)."

The record has since been broken, but when Playstation achieved it, it was done in 4d 17h 28m 6s, with an average speed of just over 26 knots.  :mellow: :mellow:

-Sprues McDuck-

Scotaidh

A friend at work told me that he was getting out of modeling - no interest in it any more, plus other interests growing to fill the void ... would I like his left-over kits?  Free, to me.  'Course I said yes.  :) 

This is what he gave me:

The bottom five kits are all at some level of completion, with the Blue Angles being the least done.  Not sure what I'm going to do with them - I don't usually build models in those scales - they take up too much room when completed.

The Kitty Hawk box is still sealed; of the Tamiya figures there is only one left in the box - he build and used (in various models/dioramas) the others.

This I bought for parts, but will have most of the model left after the planned excisions.  I'll have to think of something  ...
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

TheChronicOne

Nice catch!!!  Pretty nice wares, that Skyhawk is pretty nifty. . .. . . ..
-Sprues McDuck-

Nick

In Home Bargains last week they had the Airfix Mk.1a Spitfire at just £2.99 so I grabbed a finger four.

These come with paints and brush in the box.

Mossie

I did the same but Vic formation. :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

The Wooksta!

On hearing that they still had some, I was briefly tempted - a mate's wife keeps buying them for him - but then I remembered the 25 I bought a while back, plus the ones in the stash anyway (Lord knows how many...) and the other 8 that are tucked away in me Mam's loft.  And I thought that I'd rather keep the cash and do without.

Didn't stop me buying a Revell Star Wars U-Wing that could be the basis of a scratchbuilt anti-grav racer a la Wipeout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da1etIHAgpM
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Old Wombat

These arrived today.

Quote from: Old Wombat on July 23, 2018, 04:04:35 AM
1 x Black Dog 1/35 M1126 Stryker (ICV) Interior Detail Set for AFV Club kit #35126 (BD-T35001) - I'm doing a Stryker au naturelle except for the scheme & user
1 x AFV Club 1/35 M1126 Stryker 8x8 ICV Infantry Carrier Vehicle (AFV-AF35126) - I'm doing a Stryker au naturelle except for the scheme & user
1 x Meng 1/35 Merkava Mk.4M w/Trophy APS (Active Protection Systems) (MENG-TS036) - I already have a Merkava IV but not with the Trophy system, so the other will be ... altered
2 x Plus Model 1/35 Plastic Cans (30pcs) (PLUS-468) - 'coz you can't have too many bits & bobs to busy up a vehicle/diorama
1 x Trumpeter1/48 Aero L-39ZA "Albatro" (TR 05805) - I think they mean "Albatros" but, as their decals tend to be a parody of English, their kit may be a parody of the Aero L-39ZA, we'll find out.

The Merkava scared the unmentionables out of me when I opened it. Sitting on top is an entire layer of individual link tracks; two whole sprues, each covering the entire inside of the box! :o

The Albatros looks pretty good but I haven't had a chance to have a really good look at it, yet.

The rest is waiting until tomorrow morning, when I'll have some more time & SWMBO isn't home (It's almost midnight here, I've just got back from work & she's asleep). ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

TheChronicOne

Feeling mighty presidential!!!

The little one there is the one we were talking about the other day. It arrived today (or yesterday) safe and sound. Look at that .. uhh...    box art.  Kind of gaudy? A bit much? I LOVE IT.  ;D   But anyway...  I forget what it was.... it was $20-22 after shipping. The other one just happens to be it's counterpart back in that era. I know the Minicraft 707 is a bit of a clunker but the transfers alone are worth the price of admission on this one as I got it, sealed and everything, for $6 and another $5-6 in shipping. At that price, I consider myself having bought some nice transfers that happen to come with a free 707 kit.  ;D 

These next I bought because all three were for $20 and free shipping. I was most interested in the Fennec...  the Texan is nice, too, albeit an odd kit. The fuselage is one piece, the wings are all one piece instead of four or three....  kind of weird, but, also really cool. This takes a lot of work out of the build. Something like this would be good for the one week GB depending upon how it builds up otherwise but what would normall be 7-or 8 parts is only 2 parts and all the putty and PSR work (almost, there's is a slight seam on the fuselage) is done aside from the joins.   The Starfix kit just tagged along. I've heard nothing but BAD NEWS about Starfix so I've always wanted a kit just to see for myself. Well, now I have one. Not sure what I'll do with it because it's very innacurate and I know that without even busting the cellophane. (ah hell, can barely see the damn thing, sorry  ;D  )

Sidenote about Starfix.... a mate of mine has been working on their C-5 Galaxy kit and it looked really nice to me. Just wanted to put it out there... it damn sure looked like a Galaxy. But anyway.. I figured after saying something bad about Starfix, I'd add this in..

Not pictured is a sheet of 737-200 United Airlines Saul Bass "Tulip" transfers. Glorious. This is probably my favorite livery for airliners.
-Sprues McDuck-

strobez

Not 100% sure, but that looks like the Starfix T-38 Talon to me.  I have that kit and even though I haven't built it, looking at the sprues didn't give me pause.  It pretty much looks like any other standard kit of its era.  Given your love of vintage kits, you might be pleasantly surprised.
Thanks!

Greg

zenrat

Hmmm T-28.  IIRC the Royal Laos Air Force operated them which means you could do a RW build with their groovy Elephant roundels.
:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Was in Bromley this morning, despite the best efforts of Southern and South Eastern Railways  :-\ (To be fair they got me there o.k. but coming home  :banghead:. I think I heard at least 6 different reasons for why trains were delayed or cancelled whilst sitting at Bromley S and Beckenham Jct stations)

Anyway whilst walking up the main road I noticed the large Home Bargains, never really noticed it before, and yes they had some Spitfires so I bought 2 just so I didn't feel left out  ;)