My stash just grew again 2018.

Started by Martin H, December 31, 2017, 03:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

From a LHS, a Hobby Boss 1:72 P-40N on sale. Too cheap to resist.  ;)

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 12, 2018, 12:17:01 AM

I can remember saying to the lad behind the Airfix stand at Telford it could do with the option of a clear fuselage half.

I said the same thing to them about the Shackleton. LS did it DECADES ago so it can't be that difficult, they could do what they did with the Valiant kit and sell it as an 'add-on' afterwards. They don't even have to cut new moulds, they could pipe clear styrene into the existing ones instead of grey.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

I forgot about this little guy yesterday!  :-\ :rolleyes: :lol:

I had been after this for awhile. $20 flat! Finally!! A price I can live with it. Oh, I had been finding them, but I wouldn't allow myself to buy one until now.  ;D  Anyway... enough of my financial woes. This is another MD-80 for my collection. I got one from Draw decals earlier in the year with glorious Alaskan transfers, this time I got the PSA bird with the glorious smiley face!!!  Look, ain't he cute!!  :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: ;D 

-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

A really good kit too, I've done a couple of them.  :thumbsup:

I'd recommend the white metal landing gear you can get fro them though, much stronger than the quite flimsy struts in the kit, you get enough bits to do two models as well.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Perfect! I'll have to stop by the Draw website and snag 'em.  :mellow:
-Sprues McDuck-

kitnut617

Quote from: TheChronicOne on August 12, 2018, 08:59:02 AM

Just go straight to Scale Aircraft Conversions website

http://www.scaleaircraftconversions.com/homepage.cfm?sr=1
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

TheChronicOne

Quote from: kitnut617 on August 12, 2018, 10:13:43 AM

Thanks!!  Texas, we're virtually neighbors. Although, they could still mean we're 600 miles apart.  ;D  Anyway, shipping will be really fast.
-Sprues McDuck-

The Wooksta!

Yeah, and end up paying the price of the kit for exact metal duplicates of the kit parts.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

jcf

Quote from: The Wooksta! on August 12, 2018, 11:24:14 AM

Yeah, and end up paying the price of the kit for exact metal duplicates of the kit parts.

:thumbsup: Yep :thumbsup:

kitnut617

I've got quite a few SAC u/c sets, and while some are as you say just duplicates of the kit parts, a few of them aren't ---  F-35 ones for example
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

But they're stronger, especially in 1/144 scale.

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Yup,and some don't appear to be as well moulded.  However it's a classic case of horses for courses in my opinion. There are some kits where the fragility of the supplied undercarriage parts makes them a very useful addition  :thumbsup:

Price in the UK is a little steep I feel, but probably a lot more reasonable in the US ?

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

It always seems to be the shipping. They can be had about $5 a set (if the seller has split the two sets apart to sell individually) but then if they have minimum shipping (as one place does, which is $9) suddenly you're in the ~$20 range and indeed, the kit alone with no decals can be had for $12 plus the aforementioned $9 min shipping so... yeah, the two gear sets are $1 cheaper than the kit itself (sans a transfer sheet).  :o ;D

But totally, a lot of people think aftermarket stuff for models is a waste of money but it all depends on the situation. Indeed, I don't see the point in a lot of it. "Corrections" for things that look perfectly fine or some tiny metal tube thing instead of the plastic gun barrels, etc. Sometimes the stuff could be necessary, I'd imagine. If my gear keep breaking on the Mad Dog, I'll fork out the money for the metal gear because I personally don't really care for "in flight" models.  :angel: :lol:  Then things like window masks for things that have a million windows like some flying greenhouse..., I'd likely not mind spending $10 or $15 on a good set of masks to save myself the hours of time and copious cursing. Sometimes it comes down to trading money for time.

Meanwhile... I await the postman. Should have some wares in the mail today.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

Yup "horses for courses"  :thumbsup:

The one thing I like that other's probably consider a waste is the Yahu instrument panels. No farfing around, ready assembled unlike Eduard and far, far better than I, or any transfer manufacturer can do. Not a bad price in the UK either. I keep my eye on them to see what they are producing next.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

That's a new one on me, brotha. Yahu...  hmm... sounds interesting, indeed. I Went and looked at some, they look so neat! Look real. Sounds like something lazy me would love to buy to save tons of time.

PE stuff... that's another "take it or leave it" item. Sometimes I don't see anything wrong with just painting some little circles inside the cockpit especially if it's closed up, but then again, I bought a whole set of the pre-painted stuff (actually 2 or 3.... one was a ladder set, and some other stuff for the cockpit glass) for my F-14A because it's a pet "dream" project so I want the stuff. If it weren't a pet project I could likely not care less. Just another instance of everything being relative.
-Sprues McDuck-