My stash just grew again 2018.

Started by Martin H, December 31, 2017, 03:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

You must be getting a decent collection of those Hasegawa "font" boxes. :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

NARSES2

Just had a quick look and I've got half a dozen or so of those "font" (not heard it called that previously) boxes, all Japanese types. I can remember building that Eagle as well, many, many moons ago. I was struck by the shade of pale blue it had to be painted in.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Where does the 'font' bit come from please?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 10, 2018, 08:30:28 AM

Probably from pretentious twits in the model box collecting world,
note not the kits - just the boxes, as it makes their hobby sound
so deeply serious.
;D ;)

Chris Payne

A little trip over to Pennine Models this weekend resulted in another addition to the stash.

Airfix 1/72 McDonnell Douglas Phantom FG.1 (yet another one).
Chris.

2014 EKFP Total = 8
2015 EKFP Total = 6
2016 EKFP Total = 2
2017 EKFP Total = 7
2018 EKFP Total = 3

Bungle

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on September 10, 2018, 08:55:57 AM

so deeply serious.
;D ;)
[/quote]

I'm at the age where it seems everyone I know is popping their clogs. Another friend recently passed, an avid modeller his son is disposing of his 50+ kit collection but he's bequeathed to me about a 1,000 instruction sheets dating back to the early 1960s and about a thousand pieces of box art. By box art I mean he'd cut out all the boxes main panel (box front). Nothing newer than around 1990, really interesting and a trip down memory lane but is this what the collectors collect ?

By the way anyone requiring old instructions let me know I may well have them !
"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Julius Henry Marx (Groucho)

TheChronicOne

"Font" comes from the different fonts used. Stylistic fonts that are different for each subject. "Frank" and "Eagle" on those. Pretty neat how they did those! And the color bands, too.
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TheChronicOne on September 10, 2018, 02:18:57 PM

"Font" comes from the different fonts used. Stylistic fonts that are different for each subject. "Frank" and "Eagle" on those. Pretty neat how they did those! And the color bands, too.

Ah right, thanks for that. I have a few of them too, but I got them for the plastic inside the box.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on September 10, 2018, 08:55:57 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 10, 2018, 08:30:28 AM

so deeply serious.
;D ;)

Quote from: TheChronicOne on September 10, 2018, 02:18:57 PM

Brad C is correct.
It's my name for the way Hasegawa's art department designed their boxes in the mid seventies to mid eighties (or thereabouts).
They had great, painted box art (I don't have the words to describe the style used but it is distinctive) and got creative with the fonts they used for the aircraft names.  Hence Box Art & Font.
I certainly don't intend to be pretentious (moi? :mellow:).  It's just the name I use to describe them.  I had to call the collection in Flickr something.  I don't believe I have ever used it anywhere other then in my own head and on here.
As far as collecting goes, I suppose i'm guilty of that but i'll build them all eventually and these releases are a cheap way to get Hasegawa kits which in more than a few cases are still being popped out un-modified today.

Fred

jcf

Yea, except that those aren't fonts they're custom lettering.  :wacko:

I wonder if you could get your naming to spread, join a box collectors forum
and push it?
;) ;D :wacko: :cheers:

Hasegawa, Font Series A, 1/32, ST28, Ki-61 Hien (Tony), Khaki.

Hasegawa, Font Series B, 1/32, S14, Me-262A

Company, Box Design Series, Scale, Kit #, Subject, Stripe Colour (if applicable).

Font Series A is defined as:
White box top with inset illustration offset to right;
Subject name/info vertically on white background to
left of illustration;
Coloured stripe running horizontally across box top and
continuing down on both box ends.

Font Series B is defined as:
White box top with inset illustration offset to bottom;
Subject name/info horizontally on white background
above illustration.

Then of course you have the later full bleed tops with horizontal text
in a narrow band below the illustration, etc. etc.

There ya go, I engaged my inner PAN (pretentious anorak numpty).
Now to get it back into its basket before it inflicts any more
damage.
:wacko:  :thumbsup:

McColm

Mach2 kits are a bit like buses, you wait ages for one and two arrive very close together.
Yes another 1/72 Mach 2 Breguet Br1150
Atlantic.

zenrat

Very good Jon.  Nice box art...

...but the wrong scale.   ;D

Anyhoo, I got another one today.  A true box collector would reject it due to it's badly faded state.  The plastic is fine although it has no english instructions.  It does still have its little tube of glue though.  I wonder if it's still viable after 41 years?
Nakajima Ki-27 Red A 34 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Fred