My stash just grew again 2018.

Started by Martin H, December 31, 2017, 03:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

I went to the LHS today to pick up the Tamiya pink primer needed to finish off the Geebeeski and when I got into the car I found that somehow a Trumpeter 1/72 Chengdu J-20 Mighty Dragon had become attached to my hand.  There must have been something sticky on the lid.

I foresee it getting F-22 style stealthy nozzles and then being painted in whatever scheme the RAAFs J-35s are finished in.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Quote from: zenrat on December 12, 2018, 12:01:41 AM
... when I got into the car I found that somehow a Trumpeter 1/72 Chengdu J-20 Mighty Dragon had become attached to my hand ...

Funny how they do that. ;D

I seem to be on a bits-&-bobs spree, lately;

Last week:
1 x Armoury Production 1/48 Hawker-Siddeley "Buccaneer" Wheels w/Weighted Tyres
2 x Reskit 1/48 LTV A-7 "Corsair II" A/B/C/E Wheels for Monogram/Hobby Boss/Hasegawa kits
2 x Aerobonus 1/48 WWII German Mechanic Officer for Hobby Boss kit (1 Figure)
1 x Pavla Models 1/48 Buccaneer Martin-Baker Mk.6 Pilot's and Operator's Ejection Seats
1 x Barracuda 1/48 WWII Mid-Late RAF Fighter Standing Pilot (1 Pilot)
1 x Aerobonus 1/48 Czechoslovakian Air Force Fighter Pilot w/Seat for Avia B.534 III 1935-39
1 x GasPatch Models 1/48 Lewis RNAS Pattern Machine Guns (2pcs, Resin)
1 x GasPatch Models 1/48 WWI Vickers British Hyland Type E Loading Handle Machine Guns (2pcs, Resin)
1 x GasPatch Models 1/48 WWI Vickers British Hyland Type B Loading Handle Machine Guns (2pcs, Resin)
1 x Pavla Models 1/48 BAC/EE Canberra PR.9 Pilot and Navigator Cockpit Set for Airfix kit    AU$49.50
1 x HobbyBoss 1/35 Land Rover Defender XD Wolf W.M.I.K

This week:
2 x Reskit 1/48 Jaguar/Harrier/Phantom/MiG-27 BL755 Cluster Bomb (4pcs)
1 x Eduard 1/48 Tomahawk Mk.II Seatbelts Steel Detail-up Set for Airfix kits
1 x Eduard 1/48 WWII USN Fighters Seatbelts (Steel, 1 Photo-Etched Sheet)
1 x Eduard 1/48 WWII USN Fighters Seatbelts (Steel, 1 Photo-Etched Sheet)
1 x Eduard 1/48 Beaufighter Mk.VI Seatbelts Steel Detail set for Tamiya kits
2 x Eduard 1/48 Sea Fury FB.11 Seatbelts Steel Detail-up Set for Airfix kits
1 x Eduard Colour Photoetch for 1/48 Canberra B2/B20 Seatbelts for Airfix kit
1 x Eduard 1/48 RAF Early Seatbelts (Steel, 1 Photo-Etched Sheet)
1 x Eduard Colour Photoetch for 1/48 WWII RAF Seatbelts
1 x Master Models 1/48 Hawker Siddeley Buccaneer - Pitot Tube and Refueling Probe
2 x QuickBoost 1/48 Hawker Hurricane Rectangular Mirror
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Nick

Quote from: kitnut617 on December 11, 2018, 04:22:52 PM
Quote from: chrisonord on December 11, 2018, 02:46:49 PM
Does anyone make a kit of the Islander/ defender now H? I remember the airfix one when I was a kid.
Chris

Chris, I picked up an Islander not very long ago, box art had it in a yellow scheme. But in the box all the parts are there to do the Defender too.

The yellow scheme says it was the old Airfix kit. I know I've seen one recently but it might have been a second hand trader like Kit Krazy. There is one on Ebay now.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on December 12, 2018, 12:01:41 AM

........ and when I got into the car I found that somehow a Trumpeter 1/72 Chengdu J-20 Mighty Dragon had become attached to my hand.  There must have been something sticky on the lid.

Terrible, you can't trust these model kits further than you can throw them these days. :(

And if they're stuck to your hand you CAN'T throw them anyway!  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: Nick on December 12, 2018, 01:06:34 AM

The yellow scheme says it was the old Airfix kit. I know I've seen one recently but it might have been a second hand trader like Kit Krazy. There is one on Ebay now.

May have been at the London Show Nick. I've a memory of one as well and his stand was tidier (I use the word loosely) then usual.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

chrisonord

Quote from: Weaver on December 11, 2018, 04:42:35 PM
Quote from: Weaver on December 11, 2018, 03:22:15 AM
From Spot-On Designs:

1/72nd AEW Defender (BN Islander) nose radome
1/72nd Gemini Space capsule
Does anyone make a kit of the Islander/ defender now H? I remember the airfix one when I was a kid.
Chris

The only ones I know of are resin kits by Omega Models: https://omega-models.com/index.php?route=common/home

They look nice but they're expensive. They do piston Islanders (under civil aircraft) and a range of Defenders (including the AEW one) under military.

I got the Spot-On nose because I picked up an Airfix Islander/Defender at Telford for a surprisingly reasonable price, and it seemed like destiny, especially since I have some Falkland Islands Government Air Service decals for one...
Cheers Harold,
That's the one I remember by Airfix, I think I built one as a kid too. I wonder if a pair of astazou turbo prop engines would fit on one, to modernize one too. Something else to look out for.
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

chrisonord

Cheers Nick, I will have a nosey on eBay and see what they want for it.
Chris :thumbsup:

Gondor

Got home to find an order from Freightdog had arrived

2 x 1/72 Phantom Redtop conversion sets. Apparently it was proposed for the UK Phantoms Red Tops rather than Sidewinders but only two of them rather than the four Sidewinders so this pair of conversion sets may well up arm one of my Fujimi Phantoms in addition to the other two Red Top armed aircraft I have planed.

Also had delivered an eBay win

1 x 1/72 Airfix Sea Harrier FRS.1

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Weaver

Quote from: chrisonord on December 12, 2018, 08:07:34 AM
From Spot-On Designs:

Chris

The only ones I know of are resin kits by Omega Models: https://omega-models.com/index.php?route=common/home

They look nice but they're expensive. They do piston Islanders (under civil aircraft) and a range of Defenders (including the AEW one) under military.

I got the Spot-On nose because I picked up an Airfix Islander/Defender at Telford for a surprisingly reasonable price, and it seemed like destiny, especially since I have some Falkland Islands Government Air Service decals for one...
Cheers Harold,
That's the one I remember by Airfix, I think I built one as a kid too. I wonder if a pair of astazou turbo prop engines would fit on one, to modernize one too. Something else to look out for.
Chris

I think Astazous are too big: the real Turbo-Islanders/Defenders use Allison 250s.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

kitnut617

Quote from: Weaver on December 13, 2018, 01:53:23 AM
Quote from: chrisonord on December 12, 2018, 08:07:34 AM
From Spot-On Designs:

Chris

Cheers Harold,
Chris

I think Astazous are too big: the real Turbo-Islanders/Defenders use Allison 250s.

De-rated Astazous were installed on this Beech Baron (Beech-Sferma PD-146, I think there was about 25 built or something like that);

Which is quite a bit smaller than the Islander ----
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

chrisonord

Marvelous, nice find Robert. Not that I need an excuse to turbo prop anything :wacko:
Chris

Weaver

Quote from: kitnut617 on December 13, 2018, 06:20:57 AM
De-rated Astazous were installed on this Beech Baron (Beech-Sferma PD-146, I think there was about 25 built or something like that);

Which is quite a bit smaller than the Islander ----

Wow, never heard of that: cheers! They do look rather big on the Baron though, and that's quite the power step-up from 260bhp flat-six Continentals.

The biggest engines fitted to an Islander/Defender are 400hp Rolls-Royce B17Fs which are an Allison C250 development. The Astazous in the PD-146 are 530hp Astazou IIAs. I must admit, I was more familiar with the 750hp+ Astazou X-onwards engines seen in things like the Pucara and Jetstream.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

chrisonord

Picked up from the sorting office today . My kovozavody prostejov Aero L-159 A/E.
I have been waiting for these a while to come out over here, as they are perfect for my build theme. Opening the box however was a bit of a disappointment, as the kit is basic, and apart from a canon pod and two drop tanks, has no ordnance to hang off its seven pylons. Good job I have plenty in the bits boxes.
Unlike the two other L-59's, this won't be in Cartel service, it will belong to Honduras, bought from the Czech air force in 2004. Six were purchased, and two L-159 T versions were also bought, these aircraft will replace the Hawk 100's as a decent deal with BAE, couldn't be made to update the Hawks.
Chris.

Weaver

Direct from Hauler (Brengun):

1/35th scale 4 x etched brass skis + poles

- Indiana Jones

kitnut617

Quote from: Weaver on December 14, 2018, 12:56:52 AM

Wow, never heard of that: cheers! They do look rather big on the Baron though, and that's quite the power step-up from 260bhp flat-six Continentals.

The biggest engines fitted to an Islander/Defender are 400hp Rolls-Royce B17Fs which are an Allison C250 development. The Astazous in the PD-146 are 530hp Astazou IIAs. I must admit, I was more familiar with the 750hp+ Astazou X-onwards engines seen in things like the Pucara and Jetstream.

I'd never heard of it either until after I had built my Beagle Turbo-Terrier. Just a few issues ago in one of my Air-Britain AeroMilitaria quarterlies, there was a whole article on it, with production list and histories of each one built. That photo was posted on my thread I had on BTS forum for my Beagle Turbo-Terrier by Jon, and I had thought I had come up with something original.  :banghead:

IIRC, the original Astazou was an engine for a light helicopter.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike