My stash just grew again 2018.

Started by Martin H, December 31, 2017, 03:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

Quote from: Weaver on December 16, 2018, 07:52:01 AM
So I went shopping for presents FOR OTHER PEOPLE today and then noticed that not only had I absent-mindedly wandered into Hobbycraft out of sheer habit, but that a Revell 1/144th Space Shuttle with external tank and SRBs that I'd noticed they had discounted from £30 to £15 had somehow followed me out of the store and back to the car. Since it was cold outside and a long walk back to the shop, I decided, in the spirit of Christmas charity, to give it a home. I'm just too soft sometimes... :rolleyes: ;)

Look up "shuttle C" for interesting whiff potential.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Weaver

Quote from: kerick on December 16, 2018, 10:44:02 AM
Quote from: Weaver on December 16, 2018, 07:52:01 AM
So I went shopping for presents FOR OTHER PEOPLE today and then noticed that not only had I absent-mindedly wandered into Hobbycraft out of sheer habit, but that a Revell 1/144th Space Shuttle with external tank and SRBs that I'd noticed they had discounted from £30 to £15 had somehow followed me out of the store and back to the car. Since it was cold outside and a long walk back to the shop, I decided, in the spirit of Christmas charity, to give it a home. I'm just too soft sometimes... :rolleyes: ;)
Look up "shuttle C" for interesting whiff potential.

I have two projects in mind so far, and three shuttles to build them with.

1. Freightdog 1/144th Space Cruiser being launched from a perfectly standard shuttle. This needs a set of shuttle decals which I didn't have until today.

2. British 2/3rds scale shuttle based off the same technology. Fuselage height lowered by 25-30%, two main engines, twin fighter-style canopies, possibly twin tail fins on the wingtips, named Anastasia.... :wacko:

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on December 16, 2018, 12:01:12 PM

2. British 2/3rds scale shuttle based off the same technology. Fuselage height lowered by 25-30%, two main engines, twin fighter-style canopies, possibly twin tail fins on the wingtips, named Anastasia.... :wacko:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'm amazed no-one's kitted the Anastasia yet, it's just crying out for it.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Oooooh!  Yes please!  I'll certainly have an Anastasia if/when it appears.   Will we get  Colonel Daniel Dare and Spaceman first class Albert Fitzwilliam Digby as  crew?   After all, the spacecraft was named after Digby's great aunt.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

I've thought about trying to scratchbuild an Anastasia more than once, but at my speed of build it'd take another century just to get it started, let alone finished.

It'd be quite difficult to do mechanically too, those swing wings and pivoting fins would be difficult, and making the cockpit detach and stand up straight would be darn nigh impossible!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

More airliner stuff.

This thing is a pile.  ;D Happy to have it, though!

Not my normal scale but they were dirt cheap and I like 747s in any scale so I snagged 'em! Also, I like 727's in any scale, especially.

:lol:

This was last month's and then some's "allotment" on models. I did better this month, however, and all that stuff will be trickling in soon. Getting back to my roots with military and 1/72.  :wub: :wacko: :thumbsup:  One of them is a plane with a filthy name. . ...   ;)
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Make sure the Il-96 kit has its undercarriage, the original mouldings didn't have any included.

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

A Modelcollect 1:72 T-72 for a whiffy conversion project, and a Tamiya cardboard cobblestone street sheet for a current (real world, kind of) project.

chrisonord

From China and very quickly too, 1/72nd scale Hobbyboss NAW A-10a. This one I am thinking of putting it U.S. Navy markings and colour scheme, as I have an OA-10 belonging to the Marines. I think a more substantial front landing gear with arrestor will be needed too. Load out could be for hunting down small fast attack craft, so Mavericks HARM's and zuni's will be the ingredients for that mission.
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

scooter

Quote from: chrisonord on December 17, 2018, 06:16:47 AM
From China and very quickly too, 1/72nd scale Hobbyboss NAW A-10a. This one I am thinking of putting it U.S. Navy markings and colour scheme, as I have an OA-10 belonging to the Marines. I think a more substantial front landing gear with arrestor will be needed too. Load out could be for hunting down small fast attack craft, so Mavericks HARM's and zuni's will be the ingredients for that mission.
Chris

No need.  IIRC, the Bronco was one of those "modern" planes that could safely land and launch sans hook and launch bar
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Snowtrooper

Quote from: scooter on December 17, 2018, 06:44:39 AM
No need.  IIRC, the Bronco was one of those "modern" planes that could safely land and launch sans hook and launch bar
He's talking about a navalized OA-10 (ie. Sea Hog), not a navalized OV-10.

On the other hand, if you meant that the Bronco would have been enough instead of the Hog, well, it doesn't have BRRRRRRRT, can't withstand light AA, and does not carry as much things under the wings.

TheChronicOne

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 16, 2018, 11:07:54 PM
Make sure the Il-96 kit has its undercarriage, the original mouldings didn't have any included.
It don't. One reason I say it's a pile. Scalemates says it's EE's own tooling but I doubt that highly and think it's just a re-pop of the Baco Vaso kit which doesn't have gear either. Scalemates doesn't even have that one. I haven't opened my Baco Vaso kit yet but I'd bet real money they're exactly the same.  I got it cause it was really cheap. There's not a lot of Il-96 running around although I hope Zvesda make one some day! TThey already made Il-86 so should be a simple affair, yeah?
-Sprues McDuck-

kitnut617

Quote from: TheChronicOne on December 17, 2018, 07:37:35 AM

It don't. One reason I say it's a pile.

As that looks remarkably like an Airbus A340, if you could find some L/G from one of those kits, you'd be laughing ---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

McColm

From a company called ' Wooster' a 1/72 (or 1/100 scale) BAe 146 in British Airways decals.
My last buy of the year :banghead:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TheChronicOne on December 17, 2018, 07:37:35 AM

It don't. One reason I say it's a pile. Scalemates says it's EE's own tooling but I doubt that highly and think it's just a re-pop of the Baco Vaso kit which doesn't have gear either. Scalemates doesn't even have that one. I haven't opened my Baco Vaso kit yet but I'd bet real money they're exactly the same.  I got it cause it was really cheap. There's not a lot of Il-96 running around although I hope Zvesda make one some day! TThey already made Il-86 so should be a simple affair, yeah?

Welsh Models used to supply a resin gear set for the 86-96 series, so it may be worth looking for some either direct or on a well known auction site.

Regards
Kit