Avro Shackleton ideas

Started by McColm, January 07, 2018, 12:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandiego89

Quote from: McColm on January 14, 2018, 05:22:50 PM
The carrier Shack to be flown by the USNavy from an aircraft carrier.
If they flew B-26s from aircraft carriers during WWII, then a Shackleton should in theory work,  just like the Neptunes

No, the Shakleton would have been way to big for normal carrier operations, even for the CVA-01.  A feasibility landing like was done with the C-130, maybe, but you can rule out operating from. As Kit and others point out, the B-25 and Neptune were launch only.   

The wiki "beam" linked by Rehged appears wrong, more like a beam of 122 feet from this source: https://www.hazegray.org/navhist/carriers/uk_postw.htm.  Beam is the width of hull at the waterline. Overall width perhaps around the 184 foot mark.

The CVA-01 also had a island more to the center, with the "Alaskan highway" allowing aircraft to be towed to the starboard side of the island.  There also needs to be space for parking aircraft out of the landing area, parked safety behind the "foul line".  The Shack had a 120 wingspan, effectively eliminating any safe parking space even it could fit past the island.  Why would you want a carrier that could only operate one MPA?  Just fly the MPA from land- it had plenty of range.   
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Rheged

Quote from: sandiego89 on January 15, 2018, 10:20:31 AM
Quote from: McColm on January 14, 2018, 05:22:50 PM
The carrier Shack to be flown by the USNavy from an aircraft carrier.
If they flew B-26s from aircraft carriers during WWII, then a Shackleton should in theory work,  just like the Neptunes

No, the Shakleton would have been way to big for normal carrier operations, even for the CVA-01.  A feasibility landing like was done with the C-130, maybe, but you can rule out operating from. As Kit and others point out, the B-25 and Neptune were launch only.   

The wiki "beam" linked by Rehged appears wrong, more like a beam of 122 feet from this source: https://www.hazegray.org/navhist/carriers/uk_postw.htm.  Beam is the width of hull at the waterline. Overall width perhaps around the 184 foot mark.

The CVA-01 also had a island more to the center, with the "Alaskan highway" allowing aircraft to be towed to the starboard side of the island.  There also needs to be space for parking aircraft out of the landing area, parked safety behind the "foul line".  The Shack had a 120 wingspan, effectively eliminating any safe parking space even it could fit past the island.  Why would you want a carrier that could only operate one MPA?  Just fly the MPA from land- it had plenty of range.

I must admit the wiki link was only the product of  4.5 seconds of research!!. I'm not particularly startled to find the   data less than perfect.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

McColm

McColm

What about the Shackleton fitted with Rolls-Royce Merlin XX or the radial Bristol Hercules engines?
The engines from the Academy B-29 and C-97 look better and are a good fit as well.

PR19_Kit

I don't think the Merlins would have enough grunt to move that big 'ole thing.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Nor Bristol Hercules.

The Bristol Centaurus, on the other hand.......and 'real-world' Shack contra-props would suit them.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

McColm

I tried looking for AlleyCat under Model News but couldn't find the correct page.
AlleyCat now sell the 1/72 Avro Shackleton MR1/1A conversion set in white for the early versions and grey for the later marks. The T4 is also available with Zebedee and MOTU decals. All sets require the Airfix Avro Shackleton MR2 as the donor model as it's the better fit than the Revell or Frog/Novo kits.
Retailing at £25 per set.