Boeing P-9 Nestor

Started by McColm, January 12, 2018, 04:46:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

This is probably not a new idea , taking the Heller Boeing E-3A/C and converting it into a maritime surveillance, anti-ship, anti-submarine aircraft. Loosely based around the P-8 layout.
I know that two or more Whiffers were working on their own conversion of the Boeing C-135 for maritime use. I'm not too sure whether any of them completed their builds.
The plan
Construction of two weapons bays fore and aft of the wings. Could be pre-built and glued to one half of the fuselage. False floor inserted behind the cockpit area. MAD boom raised above the tail fin. ESM pods and hardpoints under the wings. Change the engines. I could use the engines from the Monogram B-52G . I could pay homage to the VC10 .

Rick Lowe

There's a pic on t'web somewhere of a -720 with B-52 engine pods and an AWACS dome wearing SEA colours... I thought of you when I saw it...  ;D
It could be based on an AWACS kit of course, to make life easier...

McColm

Quote from: Rick Lowe on January 12, 2018, 07:15:01 PM
There's a pic on t'web somewhere of a -720 with B-52 engine pods and an AWACS dome wearing SEA colours... I thought of you when I saw it...  ;D
It could be based on an AWACS kit of course, to make life easier...
I thought I had seen that somewhere before. Yes I have the Heller 1/72 E-3 A/C AWACS in the stash.

McColm

It's the Boeing CP-137 maritime patrol aircraft proposed for Australia/Canada.
There's some info on the ''secretprojects' website.

Rick Lowe

Yeah, I found a link on here somewhere - probably somewhere in the Inspirations grouping.