Free Airfix Spitfires - today only!

Started by Weaver, January 13, 2018, 03:10:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

If you buy a copy of the Daily Mail from W.H.Smiths ONLY today (Sat 13th Jan) you get a free Airfix Mk.1A Spitfire starter set.

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

kitbasher

Instructions:
1.  apply disguise
2.  enter WH Smiths
3.  buy Daily Mail
4.  hope nobody sees through disguise
5.  claim kit
6.  leave WH Smiths
7.  throw away Daily Mail
8.  remove disguise
9.  go home
10.  add kit to stash.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

zenrat

Or;

8.  change disguise.
9.  goto 2.

To be honest though, I don't think even a free model would make me buy the daily liar.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Leading Observer

:thumbsup: Got mine ;D SWMBO even drove round the block while I nipped in the shop, so today must be a good day!
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

Weaver

Quote from: zenrat on January 13, 2018, 04:30:32 AM
Or;

8.  change disguise.
9.  goto 2.

To be honest though, I don't think even a free model would make me buy the daily liar.

Newspaper has other uses than reading... :wacko:

In the days when chip shops used to actually wrap chips in newspaper, the saying used to be "today's news is tomorrow's chip wrapper". The Daily Mail was one of those newspapers where people used to add "thereby doubling it's value..."

My uncle worked on a water speed record boat for a while. One night in the pub, a Daily Mail journalist cornered him and asked him how the escape system worked. It worked by latches unfastening the cockpit section so that it skimmed free while water brakes slowed down the main body, which contained the dangerous fuel and jet engine. A 10 year old could have understood this, but my uncle had to explain it over and over again, even resorting to pushing one beer mat across a table with another one to show how the pushed one kept going when the pushing one stopped. Eventually the journo went away, and wrote an article about it that got EVERYTHING wrong. When my uncle saw him again in the pub, he challenged him about this and asked him why he hadn't used any of the explanations he'd been given.

"Oh our readers wouldn't understand any of that technical stuff," explained the journalist, "they're all bloody stupid."

Nice to know what they think of you isn't it? :angry:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

AS.12

I assume this is some form of escalating obsession-test.

Starts fairly innocuously with an Airfix Spit.  Would you buy the DM for a Spit?  OK you're fairly normal.

Next it'll step-up to something more obscure, perhaps a Sea Hawk or Wyvern.  Slight obsession required to undergo the ordeal.

Within a few weeks it'll be a resin kit of the Haffner Rotabuggy...

Leading Observer

SWMBO was certainly impressed with todays deal - as she works for a major Supermarket, she got 10% off the cost of the DM making it 90p and then found a voucher code which gave her £5 worth of Nectar points for buying the DM, meaning that just for once the L/Obs family are ahead of the curve ;D
LO

kitbasher

Quote from: Leading Observer on January 13, 2018, 07:56:58 AM
SWMBO was certainly impressed with todays deal - as she works for a major Supermarket, she got 10% off the cost of the DM making it 90p and then found a voucher code which gave her £5 worth of Nectar points for buying the DM, meaning that just for once the L/Obs family are ahead of the curve ;D

yes but you bear the eternal shame of buying the Daily Fail
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Leading Observer

Quote from: kitbasher on January 13, 2018, 08:24:36 AM
Quote from: Leading Observer on January 13, 2018, 07:56:58 AM

yes but you bear the eternal shame of buying the Daily Fail

I did try to read it, but it was impossible to stop laughing! I may read their Magazine article on the Spitfire, just to see how much they can get wrong with that
LO

scooter

Never see anything like that here in the States.  Tho' the PoliSci in me is more interested in the headline under the kit right now.. :banghead:
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

zenrat

There have been reports from the North East of England of a shadowy figure seen laughing maniacally while clutching a pair of scissors and a 4 foot stack of newspapers...

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

The Wooksta!

I can safely say that I didn't get a single one.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

NARSES2

Whilst I agree with the sentiments expressed above about the newspaper (I use the term advisedly) I do have some respect for it as a brand. Back in the 70's ? when it and the Express were vying for the same market, the Express was winning hands down. The Mail then changed tack and became the first daily to focus on the then untapped female market, and within a couple of years had almost wiped said Express out (how it keeps going is beyond anything I learned in A Level economics ? ). Interestingly the first daily to aim it'self at the female market was the Daily Mirror, at least in its early years in the 1890's, but back then no such market really existed so it decided to become the paper it still is today.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 14, 2018, 06:17:59 AM
Whilst I agree with the sentiments expressed above about the newspaper (I use the term advisedly) I do have some respect for it as a brand. Back in the 70's ? when it and the Express were vying for the same market, the Express was winning hands down. The Mail then changed tack and became the first daily to focus on the then untapped female market, and within a couple of years had almost wiped said Express out (how it keeps going is beyond anything I learned in A Level economics ? ). Interestingly the first daily to aim it'self at the female market was the Daily Mirror, at least in its early years in the 1890's, but back then no such market really existed so it decided to become the paper it still is today.

While we're on the Grudging Respect train, let me also say that the Daily Mail's internet game in on-point. Unlike almost all other newspaper websites, they don't have a paywall, they don't bombard you with so many ads that the actual article becomes unreadable due to loading delays and jumps, and they have a near-perfect selection of lightweight celebrity stories with click-baity headlines and paperazzi pictures down the right-hand-side to distract you and get you browsing the site. They're the sort of stories that get women to click on them to find out what Celebrity X was wearing, and men to click on them to find out what Celebrity X wasn't wearing... :wacko:

- Indiana Jones

The Wooksta!

How can ANY thinking person with a shred of decency give them ANY respect whatsoever, grudging or otherwise?  The Daily Mail - the paper that bankrolled Mosley and the British Union of Fascists, handed cash over to the Nazis and promoted Hitler.  It'd be a day in hell so cold that Satan would die of hypothermia before I'd give them a penny of my money.  If it were a choice of lining their pockets and getting a ton of Spitfires or doing without, the latter would be my instant choice. 

It's a vile newspaper, full of salacious gossip and not so subtle racism.

There's a load of the kits up on ebay now, with people trying to make a quick quid off the back of it.  Besides, they're exactly the same as the last ones they released and it's a slightly reboxed starter set.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic