Waltzing RAM Matilda - 1/35 Tamiya

Started by Old Wombat, January 16, 2018, 07:01:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

Finally got my work-space set up again today, having had to pack it up about a week before Christmas.

After much deliberation I decided I'd build one of my Matildas as my mojo-boosting first task for the year, leaving half-a-dozen part completed builds waiting on the side-lines.

I'll be building her pretty much OoB, with a few minor mod's for Royal Australian Marines operations in the Asia/Pacific region - not the Australian Army mod's.

The kit comes with 3 different gun barrels, including a 3" howitzer that I'm going to use instead of either of the 2-pounder barrels.

Enough waffling! I've only cleaned up about 6 pieces & glued 3 bits together but it's a start! :thumbsup: ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Always good to see more Wombat Armour.

I really must build some of my small tank stash this year.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Thanks, Fred! :thumbsup:

Hopefully it lives up to expectations - all the reviews I've read were very positive - & she goes together nice & easy! ;)

Mossie

I do like a Matilda, and a Wombat armour build too.
:thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

rickshaw

The Tilly was just the right amount of armour and had a reasonable gun (particularly after the Australian Army development of a HE round for the 2 Pdr) in a small enough package that could be easily moved between and around the islands.

I look forward to seeing what you do, Guy.   Your builds are always interesting.   I expect, as it is a RAM vehicle it will come equipped with wading trunks and an exhaust extension?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Old Wombat

Thanks, gents! :thumbsup:

B: I don't really want to do too much to her but some kind of wading gear may be a possibility. Guess I'll have to do some research & have a think.

NARSES2

Looking forward to this. For the intended operational area it's got reasonable armour protection and a decent close support weapon with the 3"C.S. gun.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Having done some research, including watching the "Inside the Cheiftain's Hatch" episode on the Matilda, I've concluded that the Queen of the Desert is not the Queen of the Beach.

Basically, the set-up at the rear of the Matilda doesn't lend itself to fitting wading gear without a serious re-design. The exhaust re-arrangement is do-able, not easy but it can be done, but those big cast panels on the engine deck have vents cast into them for air to come in & go out, & there's next-to-no room anywhere to fit a base for the the air inlet duct to connect to. :banghead:

So, I'm insane, I have an idea & I'm going to run with it ... but I'll be doing it in such a way that the wading gear can be displayed fitted or disassembled, so the base can be seen for what it is & it can be seen how the assembled ducting works.

Did I mention I'm insane? :blink:

Rheged

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Old Wombat

DAMN! I forgot to take into account the bloody turret! :angry:

Sorry, guys, no wading gear on this build. :(

It can be done but it needs a complete re-design of the engine deck ... all of it. :o

I have another Matilda, but I have plans for her, so I'll need to buy another before I can do the wading option. I'll have to remove the engine deck & replace it with lighter plate-steel armour, rather than the massive cast armour used. Install vents & grills in a more consolidated arrangement. Then design the wading gear around that.

(Actually, I'll probably design the ventilation set-up & the wading ducts simultaneously as an integrated system.)

So, Matilda II CS with minimal mod's for RAM service it will have to be. :thumbsup:

NARSES2

I'm impressed by your attention to the practicalities, and knowledge  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

;D ;D ;D

"Knowledge" is from a millennium ago, when I first fell in love with the Matilda II as a youngster, & some extremely recent blitz-data-mining across the interwebnet.

Practicalities? Well, I guess I like my builds to be slightly sensible. ;)

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on January 18, 2018, 06:00:02 AM

Practicalities? Well, I guess I like my builds to be slightly sensible. ;)

And that way lies madness ? See my Blog re the Attacker  ;)

I've always had a liking for the Matilda II as well, indeed a lot of the early War period British tanks. Just found a Wargames company that produces all the Crusader variants in 28mm(1/56) scale. Quite a nice size he thinks to himself  :angel:

Old Wombat

About half way through piecing together the Bronco individual link tracks. :o