The Grim Thread of 40K Orky Lunacy of or pertaining to The Wrestler of Dessert

Started by puddingwrestler, January 17, 2018, 04:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

buzzbomb

Weaver

Nice one!  :thumbsup:

I have to say though, that adding rivets to a Sherman seems to be a matter of engaging in an extra level of perversity*, given the number of delightfully rivet-ridden early-war (and in some cases not so early-war coughCromwellcough) tanks that are available. Indeed, in some cases, one is forced to wonder if the real life designers had orkish tendencies of their own:

*Of course, depending on one's nature, one may regard extra levels of perversity as reward in themselves. I make no judgements in the matter.

Also, note if you will how delightfully awkward certain tanks appear when bereft of their track guards, which are apparently the greater source of whatever aesthetic merit they possess.
This example is a half-built Valentine:

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

puddingwrestler

It needed to be a Sherman becasue that's the most recognisable US tank to the layman.
It needed rivets because they are the most recognisably Orky building method to the layman.
So if it needed to be an Ork tank for an Ork army wearing ww2 US uniforms, it needed to be a sherman covered in rivets.
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

zenrat

Are there Orks what wear Soviet uniforms and drive rivetty T-34s?
Orkskis?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

puddingwrestler

At last, the question of what ww2 would look like for orks!

Rubbish photo.

Yes, you can get Soviet Orks and German Orks from Kromlech and probably others.

You can also get Imperial Guard units which suit just about every combatant for WW2 and some for WW1. If you wanted, you could easily play Warhammer 40,000 using nothing but WW2 versions of 40K armies, so long as you stick to Imperial Guard and Orks.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Now they are fun, remind me of something though, from a long time ago. My brain will muse on it.

Did someone at some time do Napoleonic Imperial Guard Orc's and British Peninsular infantry ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

puddingwrestler

There was a game called Flintloque, which was the Napoleonic wars using fantasy races. France was elves, England was Orcs, Germany was Dwarves etc.

NARSES2

Quote from: puddingwrestler on May 17, 2020, 10:47:47 PM
There was a game called Flintloque, which was the Napoleonic wars using fantasy races. France was elves, England was Orcs, Germany was Dwarves etc.

Ah thank you. Yes that's the one I was thinking of  :thumbsup:

I used to get a little annoyed with club members who used to really slag "fantasy" gamer's off as being not true to what "historical" wargamming was all about when we were in the middle of a Achaemenid Persian verses Sassanian Persian game  :banghead:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

puddingwrestler

Never mind... I once walked through the historical gaming section of Cancon (big Australian convention and tournament) on my way back to Warhammer Fantasy and overheard the following:
Gentleman resembling a smallish whale wearing a reproduction SS officer's cap to opponent who is in civilian dress: "You can't take that. The Germans only ever built nine of those and in 1943, seven of them were on the eastern front, so you can't field more than two."
(my memory on the exact appearance of the gamers in question may be wrong...)

NARSES2

It was people like that who had a huge hand in me quitting wargaming.

I still do some solo gaming, but tend to use either rules based on those in Donald Featherstone's Wargaming or S.O.A. 4th edition rules. Both from the 60's I think ?

Weaver

The history dept teachers who ran our school wargaming club literally shut it down because too many people were playing fantasy and sci-fi games. Mind you, it didn't help that there was a group of new Warhammer Fan-atics who were aggressively trying to convert everybody else to play only that.

Quote from: puddingwrestler on May 13, 2020, 01:53:59 AM
It needed to be a Sherman becasue that's the most recognisable US tank to the layman.
It needed rivets because they are the most recognisably Orky building method to the layman.
So if it needed to be an Ork tank for an Ork army wearing ww2 US uniforms, it needed to be a sherman covered in rivets.

Ah - I was not aware that WWII orks were the intended users: now it all makes sense.*

*For certain particular values of the word 'sense'...
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones