F-35 versus Harrie

Started by rickshaw, January 20, 2018, 12:02:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on January 21, 2018, 06:01:44 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 21, 2018, 03:23:56 AM
Quote from: sandiego89 on January 20, 2018, 03:10:46 PM

Having seen the B up close in STOL mode and on take off, I found it sounds much like a F/A-18 (decibel, and type of sound wise) on take off, and quieter than harrier on short landings. Would not call it horrific.  I have not seen it in true hover. 

Having watched (and heard...) the F-35B reproduce the 'Harrier Standard' hover, sideways flight and 'bow' at last year's RIAT I'd say it's a lot louder than a Harrier. It's also a higher frequency sound, presumably because of the re-heated main engine exhaust in the hover.

Um, it doesn't use the reheat in hover Kit

It's certainly loud enough for it though.

And why is everyone going about 'ground erosion' etc.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 21, 2018, 08:42:06 AM
Quote from: kitnut617 on January 21, 2018, 06:01:44 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 21, 2018, 03:23:56 AM
Quote from: sandiego89 on January 20, 2018, 03:10:46 PM

Having seen the B up close in STOL mode and on take off, I found it sounds much like a F/A-18 (decibel, and type of sound wise) on take off, and quieter than harrier on short landings. Would not call it horrific.  I have not seen it in true hover. 

Having watched (and heard...) the F-35B reproduce the 'Harrier Standard' hover, sideways flight and 'bow' at last year's RIAT I'd say it's a lot louder than a Harrier. It's also a higher frequency sound, presumably because of the re-heated main engine exhaust in the hover.

Um, it doesn't use the reheat in hover Kit

It's certainly loud enough for it though.

And why is everyone going about 'ground erosion' etc.

Reading about the engine, the hot exhaust puts out about 28,000 lb of thrust dry, 43,000 lb with reheat. The fan when engaged puts out about 20,000 lb of thrust and the roll puffers put out another 3,800 lbs.  So you can see that the F-35 has almost twice the thrust in the hover as a Harrier. The F-35 is almost twice as big and heavy as a Harrier.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

rickshaw

Quote from: zenrat on January 20, 2018, 11:18:11 PM
Quote from: rickshaw on January 20, 2018, 09:52:38 PM
I am unsure why the deck problem is a problem, really.  All that is required is a slightly elevated deck with a grid as it's basis - the hot air "blows through" and out the sides.   I seem to remember the US Navy was thinking about doing that for one of their many iterations of the VSTOL aircraft they designed before the F-35...    :banghead:

That would make it difficult to walk on in stiletto heels...

:o

"Any Seaman wearing Stilettos on the main deck is taking their own lives into their own hands!" - Captain to crew.     :banghead:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Old Wombat

The generic term is "sailor" when referring to all ranks, unless, of course, you're implying that NCO's & Officers are exempt? ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est