Platz

Started by Dizzyfugu, January 27, 2018, 06:32:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Well, this is exotic, but I'll post it, anyway, since Ki-78 kits are rare (AFAIK there's only the AZ Models kit, but it's pretty simple and the fuselage is too short). Platz is about to release an 1:72 resin and white metal kit of the Ki-78, with options to build the prototype from it in two stages duiring the trials, and a fictional/whiffy variant for the "Girls und Panzer" series:

Pricy, though, at more than EUR 50,-. Probably more of a collector's item.

More here at HLJ: https://hlj.com/product/plzgps-2

NARSES2

AZ do 2 boxing's, a prototype and an in-service What If boxing. The latter is out of stock at Hannants.

Not bad, I've built it and it's probably on here somewhere.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AZM7519

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

At £7.50 the AZ version's a steal!  :thumbsup:

Does that aircraft have some relationship to a Heinkel or Messerschmit design? It looks so 'German' to me.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 28, 2018, 07:44:52 AM

Does that aircraft have some relationship to a Heinkel or Messerschmit design? It looks so 'German' to me.

It had a licensed built Daimler engine Kit and the cowling was similar too.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on January 28, 2018, 07:47:03 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 28, 2018, 07:44:52 AM

It had a licensed built Daimler engine Kit and the cowling was similar too.

Ah, OK, that's the mental link, thanks.

It'd look good as a Luftwaffe prototype, wouldn't it? At that price I might get one too.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

jcf

The KEN III (Kensan III , Research III in English) civil research, and possible world
air speed attempt, project was started in 1938 at the Aeronautical Research Institute
at the University of Tokyo under Shoroku Wada, with Mineo Yamamoto (fuselage),
Eichiro Tani (wing), Seichi Kurino and Shojiro Nomura (engine installation). The design
featured a fuselage of minimal cross-section, laminar flow wing section, the 11 sq m
wing area led to the use of a combination of Fowler flaps, split flaps, and drooping ailerons.
The engine incorporated water-methanol injection and the side-mounted radiators had an
auxiliary cooling fan driven by a 60hp turbine.

A wooden mockup was approved May 1941, and construction of two prototypes assigned to
Kawasaki. Construction started Sept. 1941, only one was completed with a first flight on 26
December 1942. It was found to bevdifficult to fly at low speeds, weight and wing-loading
were both higher than calculated with the expected deleterious effect on take-off and landing
speeds, elevator flutter was also experienced above 395 mph. Maximum speed attained was
699.6 km/h at 3,527 m (434.9 mph at 11,539 ft).

The project had been taken over by the IJA after the start of the Pacific War and received the
Ki-78 designation. They wanted to develop it into a fighter, which would have been a hell of a
trick, and as pointless as the attempt to modify the Me 209 air speed record aircraft design
into a fighter.

Aside from engine and water-methanol boost system, no other direct relation to German
designs or companies. Just as in DB powered Italian aircraft the cowling of the inverted
V-12 gives them all a "German" look.

PR19_Kit

Those side radiators are ringing some sort of 'Germanic' bells in my mind, as well as the DB engine.

Regards
Kit

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 29, 2018, 12:25:09 AM
Those side radiators are ringing some sort of 'Germanic' bells in my mind, as well as the DB engine.

The rads are more P-38, than anything else.

kitnut617

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on January 29, 2018, 09:43:59 AM

I was just going to say that too, they probably got them from a crashed P-38.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

jcf

Quote from: kitnut617 on January 29, 2018, 03:32:25 PM
Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on January 29, 2018, 09:43:59 AM

I was just going to say that too, they probably got them from a crashed P-38.

Seeing as it was under design from 1938 on, the mockup was approved in May 1941, and
construction started Sept. 1941, I'd say that's highly unlikely. Also the operating system
of the radiators was completely different from the P-38, all they have in common is a
similar external appearance.

https://oldmachinepress.com/2012/11/03/kawasaki-ki-78-ken-iii/

Old Wombat

Kit may be thinking of the gun "cheeks" on the Bf.109 G-6.

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Old Wombat on January 30, 2018, 01:35:36 AM

Kit may be thinking of the gun "cheeks" on the Bf.109 G-6.

No, it's something else that's ringing my bells. I'll just have to get one and paint it Luftwaffe.  ;D

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Well, I've just ordered one from Big H, along with an MB6 to aid my Welkin III project.

In the last two days they've put the price up to £8.99.................  :o

Watch for swastikas and balkenkreuz on here soon.  ;D

Regards
Kit

Spey_Phantom

Platz has just released a 1/144 F-22A Raptor (rebox of Ftoys kit)
and it has a What If JASDF scheme  :mellow:

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.