Welkin Mk III

Started by PR19_Kit, January 28, 2018, 04:53:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Scotaidh on February 03, 2018, 09:42:33 AM

One nice result of the nacelles ending up wider is that you'll have more room for the beefier undercarriage - which the heavier engines would require, anyway.  :)  Don't you love it when the unintended consequences balance out?  :)

The hydraulic engineer in me says 'Just pump up the oleos to a higher pressure'.............  ;D ;)

I may look out some larger wheels from somewhere, I detest vacform wheels, they almost never end up looking round.  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Tophe

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 03, 2018, 04:05:27 AM
it works OK with vacforms but you need to do it in thin layers or it tends to dissolve the thin styrene
Thanks a lot! "Dissolve" is the word saying it. I will use thin layers of putty all right, thanks a lot for this advice, Teacher/Master. :thumbsup: ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 03, 2018, 09:51:19 AM

I may look out some larger wheels from somewhere, I detest vacform wheels, they almost never end up looking round.  :banghead:

I was going to suggest Mosquito wheels but they might be too big. Hampden wheels I think are a bit smaller than the Mosquito ones. Or Beaufighter ones.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

It'll be a case of which wheels I have available I expect. The Monterey beaching trolley used Shackleton, F-14 and A-6 wheels.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

zenrat

You can always put skis on it... :wacko:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

I like it ! Looking forward to seeing more.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Weaver

Well you've certainly taken something on here!  :o

What are you going to do with the pair of MB.5's you've pruned?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on February 04, 2018, 09:19:55 PM

That's a very valid question, and it seems some parts of them will be heading west to Canada.

I did think of adding an ex-Sea Fury Centaurus to one to see what it looked like.  ;)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 04, 2018, 10:11:25 PM
I did think of adding an ex-Sea Fury Centaurus to one to see what it looked like.  ;)

Got a plan of doing that myself with one of the Falcon kits Kit, with a handy explanation on why the radiator duct will be kept.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on February 05, 2018, 05:04:01 AM

Got a plan of doing that myself with one of the Falcon kits Kit, with a handy explanation on why the radiator duct will be kept.

Funny you should say that........

I spent a while wondering the same question, and even drew up an MB5 without the duct, but it didn't look right.

I had Bristol build a 'Super Centaurus' with a turbo-charger in the rear fuselage a la P-47, and the duct became the intake for the engine and a cooling duct for the turbo.  ;)

RW activities have slowed down production of the Welkin for a day or so.  :banghead:

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 05, 2018, 06:18:32 AM
Quote from: kitnut617 on February 05, 2018, 05:04:01 AM

Funny you should say that........

I spent a while wondering the same question, and even drew up an MB5 without the duct, but it didn't look right.

I had Bristol build a 'Super Centaurus' with a turbo-charger in the rear fuselage a la P-47, and the duct became the intake for the engine and a cooling duct for the turbo.  ;)

I came to the same conclusion Kit, after reading about the Centaurus engines proposed for the Vickers Type 'C' bomber which had just that arrangement (they would have had a single stage supercharger too). I figured intercooler, oil cooler could be housed in the duct as well.  My plan will have bifurcated exhaust sticking out the sides of the rear fuselage with the rear duct flap used for all the other cooling.

PR19_Kit

After three PSR sessions on the nacelle it looked pretty good. I had to do it slowly or the putty would have eaten too deeply into the vacform styrene as it's so thin.

I gave it all a quick blast of primer to see if any more PSR would be needed but it looks OK to me. That means the project's a goer and I'll carry on with the build.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

That's a very valid question, and it seems some parts of them will be heading west to Canada.

A Matchbox one from their Tempest II is a far better fit.  Ask me how I know... ;D
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Wooksta! on February 10, 2018, 07:37:13 AM

A Matchbox one from their Tempest II is a far better fit.  Ask me how I know... ;D

I haven't seen an M'box Tempest II for AGES. That's the one with the Indian Air Force 'Wheel' roundel, isn't it?

Regards
Kit