RAAF Museum. Point Cook, Victoria.

Started by zenrat, January 29, 2018, 03:11:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

I "did" the RAAF Museum at Point Cook yesterday.
The publicly accessible part consists of five hangers with one of them containing a two floor exhibits section as well as aircraft.  This looks at the history of the RAAF and is very well put together with interactive exhibits.  I did feel the lighting could be better but maybe that was deliberate to preserve some of the exhibits.
There are also some aircraft outside but they are fenced off and some are in positions where it is not possible to get at them easilly.
The hangers are crowded and the aircraft within them hard to photograph.
Note they all seem to be lacking the sort of heavy black panel lines currently in vogue on aircraft modelling magazine builds... :mellow:
RAAF Museum Point Cook 28-01-18 92 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
RAAF Museum Point Cook 28-01-18 91 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
RAAF Museum Point Cook 28-01-18 90 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
RAAF Museum Point Cook 28-01-18 85 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
RAAF Museum Point Cook 28-01-18 81 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
RAAF Museum Point Cook 28-01-18 77 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
RAAF Museum Point Cook 28-01-18 67 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
RAAF Museum Point Cook 28-01-18 39 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
RAAF Museum Point Cook 28-01-18 33 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
RAAF Museum Point Cook 28-01-18 26 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
RAAF Museum Point Cook 28-01-18 23 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
In the restoration hanger is a Mosquito PR Mk XVI.
RAAF Museum Point Cook 28-01-18 12 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Borers had got into the structure.
RAAF Museum Point Cook 28-01-18 10 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Sunday's. Tuesdays and Thursdays there are flying displays.  Yesterday it was a CT4.  These were developed from the Victa Airtourer.  Victa is better known for making lawnmowers.
RAAF Museum Point Cook 28-01-18 61 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

More pics here.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

What a fascinating mixture of aircraft they have there. A pity it's about as far away from me as it's possible to get.

I didn't know the RAAF flew Andovers, a new one on me.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

dwomby

It's a great museum and I had a long talk with one of the Mosquito restorers when I was there a few years ago.

Do they still have the signs warning you to beware of snakes!!!

David

PR19_Kit

Quote from: dwomby on January 29, 2018, 05:25:04 AM

I KNEW there'd be a reason not to go there...............  :banghead: :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 29, 2018, 03:32:10 AM
What a fascinating mixture of aircraft they have there. A pity it's about as far away from me as it's possible to get.

I didn't know the RAAF flew Andovers, a new one on me.

Not Andovers.  HS.748s, Kit.  They flew them for VIP use.   The Kiwis flew Andovers.  I had a flight on one back on K-82 Exercise.   I was a volunteer "kicker" used to push a load out the arse.  It was interesting flying through the valleys with the tail down.   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rickshaw on January 29, 2018, 04:35:03 PM

Not Andovers.  HS.748s, Kit.  They flew them for VIP use.   The Kiwis flew Andovers.  I had a flight on one back on K-82 Exercise.   I was a volunteer "kicker" used to push a load out the arse.  It was interesting flying through the valleys with the tail down.   :thumbsup:

Ah, a difference in nomenclature then.

The RAF called all versions Andovers, the cargo version was a C1 and the passenger version was a CC2, and there was an E3 calibration version too.

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 29, 2018, 03:14:10 PM
Quote from: dwomby on January 29, 2018, 05:25:04 AM

I KNEW there'd be a reason not to go there...............  :banghead: :banghead:

Yes.  I should have thought to take pic of the signs.  They are posted on old portables which the snakes are prolly living under.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

dumaniac

Nice collection of pics - thanks for sharing

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 29, 2018, 05:04:37 PM

The RAF called all versions Andovers, the cargo version was a C1 and the passenger version was a CC2, and there was an E3 calibration version too.

No a difference in design.  The HS.748 was the original civil version of the aircraft, from which the Andover was developed.  The RAAF operated the HS.748, not the Andover.  It was basically a civilian airliner in military colours.  VIPs (ie mainly politicians) got to ride in it.  :banghead:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

Some great pics there mate, weather helps  ;) ;D.

Agree with you re magazine builds and panel lines. At least some builders admit it's for purely artistic reasons, only some though  :-\
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

As I recall, the C1 Andover could be made to "kneel down" for easier loading
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

tc2324

Great set of pics, thanks for sharing.  :thumbsup:
74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rickshaw on January 30, 2018, 04:20:03 AM

No a difference in design.  The HS.748 was the original civil version of the aircraft, from which the Andover was developed.  The RAAF operated the HS.748, not the Andover.  It was basically a civilian airliner in military colours.  VIPs (ie mainly politicians) got to ride in it.  :banghead:

I'm talking about the RAF versions all being called Andovers.....

Quote from: Rheged on January 30, 2018, 06:25:28 AM

They could indeed, the main gear half-retracted as the rear ramp opened if desired.

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Great shots. I'd love to go there some day. Cheers !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Draggie748

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 30, 2018, 10:26:57 AM
Quote from: rickshaw on January 30, 2018, 04:20:03 AM

I'm talking about the RAF versions all being called Andovers.....

Quote from: Rheged on January 30, 2018, 06:25:28 AM

They could indeed, the main gear half-retracted as the rear ramp opened if desired.

The RAAF and RAN called them HS748s aka the civillian name, the HS748 in the RAF Queen's Flight were referred to by the RAF as Andover CC2s