Cold War GB 2018 Discussion Thread

Started by NARSES2, February 01, 2018, 02:10:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Quote from: Ed S on March 05, 2018, 06:10:07 AM
Quote from: zenrat on March 03, 2018, 03:25:41 AM
Which Mauler Kit do you have Chris?
And what is it like please.

Just for comparison. I have the Siga 1/72 Mauler which I'm building for the Allies '46 GB on BTS. The kit is probably typical of short run. There are some problems with the fit and some of the detail parts are rather crudely molded. But with a little work with a file and sandpaper it actually fits rather well. It also has some pretty good engraved panel lines, not over done. There are two versions of the kit. One is the early prototype and test version and a later operational version. The operational version comes with a weapons spruce that contains bombs, 11.75 in rockets, 5 in rockets, and three torpedoes.

Ed

Thanks Ed.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

Quote from: Nick on March 05, 2018, 02:02:55 AM
Would it be acceptable to enter my AZ SR.53, the one I was fiddling with at Huddersfield?

I've glued the wings to the fuselage and the cockpit has been put together. That's about it.

I didn't realize this build was happening till this weekend!

After some discussion we've agreed to allow this to be entered.

Everybody else please note though, that this is right on the limit of the amount of part-startedness we're willing to allow.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

nighthunter

Hey Narses, going to open the Finished Builds thread? Lol
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

nighthunter

"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

NARSES2

I'm still pondering what to build for this G.B. as despite it not being my "period" I've missed the last couple so want to build something. So I went deep stash mining yesterday as there is very little on the readily accessible shelves that fits.

Anyway to my surprise I found an Anigrand Martin XB-51. Got me intrigued so I read a few bits on it in a couple of books and thought "Vietnam night intruder" ? Those 8 20mm cannon might come in useful for that. Then I had a look at the kit and thought "do I want that much work for this G.B. ?" It's a typical Anigrand kit of its period. Quite heavy resin casting, some flash and a fair few pour gates. The main thing going against it for this build however is that the fuselage has been moulded in four pieces. I don't blame them as it's over a foot long, but even though they have moulded the join with a tongue and groove it is still going to take a lot of cleaning up. So not for this build, but she has been moved out of deep storage for more contemplation.

I also found a Tamiya Skyray which is much better fit with what I would want to do and the effort I want to put in. Sorry if that offends but I've a lot of other things I want to do in my "normal" periods of interest at the moment. Only downside to this is that I would have to sort some transfers for it, but that's not difficult. I'll have a quick trawl on Hannant's for something suitable. F.A.A. mid/late 60's ?

Favourite however is still an AZ SR 53, if I can get one at next weeks Southern. I even found I have a sheet of Lightning transfers for the squadron markings  :thumbsup: Also sorted out a name for her R.A.F. service. Saunders Roe Robin, on the basis that the Robin is a relatively small, attractive bird that aggressively defends its territory. Ideal for what the real thing was designed for I think  :thumbsup:

So we are getting there, slowly, but I will.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 11, 2018, 07:10:14 AM

Favourite however is still an AZ SR 53, if I can get one at next weeks Southern. I even found I have a sheet of Lightning transfers for the squadron markings  :thumbsup: Also sorted out a name for her R.A.F. service. Saunders Roe Robin, on the basis that the Robin is a relatively small, attractive bird that aggressively defends its territory. Ideal for what the real thing was designed for I think  :thumbsup:

The Robin; a  well reasoned  and inspired choice of name.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Weaver

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 11, 2018, 07:10:14 AM
I'm still pondering what to build for this G.B. as despite it not being my "period" I've missed the last couple so want to build something. So I went deep stash mining yesterday as there is very little on the readily accessible shelves that fits.

Anyway to my surprise I found an Anigrand Martin XB-51. Got me intrigued so I read a few bits on it in a couple of books and thought "Vietnam night intruder" ? Those 8 20mm cannon might come in useful for that. Then I had a look at the kit and thought "do I want that much work for this G.B. ?" It's a typical Anigrand kit of its period. Quite heavy resin casting, some flash and a fair few pour gates. The main thing going against it for this build however is that the fuselage has been moulded in four pieces. I don't blame them as it's over a foot long, but even though they have moulded the join with a tongue and groove it is still going to take a lot of cleaning up. So not for this build, but she has been moved out of deep storage for more contemplation.

I'm fairly sure someone on here did a profile or two of B-51s in SEA cammo - looked good.

I also found a Tamiya Skyray which is much better fit with what I would want to do and the effort I want to put in. Sorry if that offends but I've a lot of other things I want to do in my "normal" periods of interest at the moment. Only downside to this is that I would have to sort some transfers for it, but that's not difficult. I'll have a quick trawl on Hannant's for something suitable. F.A.A. mid/late 60's ?

That's a good idea: maybe give it an Avon or Sapphire (no external physical changes necessary AFAIK) for FAA service. The FAA had Sidewinders before the RAF (on Scimitars) so they make sense. The USN and the RN used different rockets: 2.75" and 2" respectively. If you wanted to be really pedantic, you could fit the same pods as seen on Sea Vixens (look like a Matra pod but with three rings of tubes instead of two) and Freightdog make these, but unfortunately they're not on his website at the moment. However, there's a whiffjitsu get-out: the rocket pods in the kit have their frangible nose and tail cones in place to reduce drag, so you could always claim that they have 2" tubes inside them rather than 2.75" tubes!  :thumbsup:

I looked longingly at the Skyray when I was choosing aircraft for my FAA-buys-US scenario, but in the end the Panther-Cougar-Tiger progression made too much sense to ignore. No reason why it couldn't have been otherwise though (the courses of true love and military procurement never do run smooth, as Shakespeare might have said if he'd been an aircraft geek) and I'd love to see one in FAA colours.

'Robin' makes a lot of sense. One of the AZ boxings is a what-if with in-service colours for RAF squadrons 1, 20 and 74 (with 56sqn red tail). Note, however, that the Firestreak missiles in the kit are more like the inert 'handling shapes' seen on the real aircraft, and don't look much like a real working weapon. In particular, they don't have the eight-sided nose cone of the real things. Good Firestreaks are easy to come by these days.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on March 11, 2018, 09:05:42 AM

I'm fairly sure someone on here did a profile or two of B-51s in SEA cammo - looked good.

That was Logan Hartke's wonderfulness, but his proper artwork has been PB'd.  :banghead:

But Trickyrich quoted it on his build thread of the same aircraft.  :thumbsup:

And the build itself is OUTSTANDING!

The whole build thread is here :-

http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,40944.0.html

Re-reading I found to my amazement that he'd used the same Master PE kit of a 20 mm Vulcan cannon that I'd tried to use on my Monterey. Except that he actually did it and it looks magnificent.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

AeroplaneDriver

With my third build since returning to the hobby almost done (another RW...USMC Vietnam A-4E), this may be there perfect excuse to dig out the Academy Hunter and build up a nice little F-99B...recently picked up an Xtradecal F-100 decal sheet that would be just the ticket for a USAF Hunter!
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Logan Hartke

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 11, 2018, 09:28:51 AM

That was Logan Hartke's wonderfulness, but his proper artwork has been PB'd.  :banghead:

Yeah, once I get back into profiling, I'll reupload the whole lot one of these days, so people can access them again. Just PM me if there's one you need, I still have all of them on my hard drive.

Cheers,

Logan

NARSES2

Note, however, that the Firestreak missiles in the kit are more like the inert 'handling shapes' seen on the real aircraft, and don't look much like a real working weapon. In particular, they don't have the eight-sided nose cone of the real things. Good Firestreaks are easy to come by these days.

Yup all the reviews I've read say the sam ething and if I go down this route I'll be looking to replace them.

As for rocket pods I've got a fair few from when I built models of that period. I'm sure some are from an old Sea Vixen kit.

That RAAF B-51 is magnificent.

Nick

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 12, 2018, 07:19:29 AM
Note, however, that the Firestreak missiles in the kit are more like the inert 'handling shapes' seen on the real aircraft, and don't look much like a real working weapon. In particular, they don't have the eight-sided nose cone of the real things. Good Firestreaks are easy to come by these days.

Yup all the reviews I've read say the sam ething and if I go down this route I'll be looking to replace them.

Let me know if you find a good supply, I'd like to get some myself.

kitnut617

Quote from: Nick on March 12, 2018, 09:14:19 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on March 12, 2018, 07:19:29 AM

Let me know if you find a good supply, I'd like to get some myself.

Colin's (freightdog) Firestreak's have the octagon seeker head (1/72 scale)
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike