Cold War GB 2018 Inspiration

Started by NARSES2, February 01, 2018, 05:05:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

The Wiki notation is from 2015, when a film was in development, nothing on it since.
No updates on Movie Insider since September 2015.
https://www.movieinsider.com/m13574/down-to-a-sunless-sea/updates

After reading the plot synopsis, and laughing out loud, all I can say is that
it would require massive rewrites to produce something not cringe-worthy.
;D  ;D

PR19_Kit

They seemed to have moved the plot by some 4-5000 miles, because the book takes place in an airliner (a hydrogen powered 747-800....) over the Atlantic en route from NYC to London. Instead it ends up in Antarctica, via Lajes in the Azores, in formation with an An-124......

Yeah, right.

But it's REALLY depressing, don't even think about reading it!  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Quick question, what colours were British nuclear weapons painted?  What markings did they carry?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rickshaw on March 20, 2018, 11:33:51 PM

Quick question, what colours were British nuclear weapons painted?  What markings did they carry?

The big one's a Yellow Sun, carried by the V bombers, and the little one's a WE.177, carried by almost everything else.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Is that colour what they call 'Bronze Green' Kit.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Weaver

From Brian Burnell's nuclear weapons info site here: http://www.nuclear-weapons.info/vw.htm#WE.177%20paint%20schemes

QuotePaint Schemes

Several paint-schemes are known to have been used on WE.177. For live operational rounds of both Type A and Type B, an overall white with orange and yellow bands was used (early paint-scheme from the 1960s). The Royal Navy also used a similar scheme, although there may have been minor differences. When both Services adopted a NATO standard colour scheme in the 1970's an overall olive green was used, with the appropriate markings. Drill weapons, or training rounds used by the RAF for loading and flight drills were a dark Oxford blue. The Royal Navy used overall white with a variety of black markings, until both Services later adopted a NATO standard olive green for training rounds, possibly in the late 1970's. Most of the examples of WE.177 training rounds in museums use this olive green paint scheme. The entry-into-service of the Type C weapon was much later than the others, and there is no hard evidence that this weapon used the earlier paint schemes of overall white and overall blue.

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

Red Beard. I think that the greens used on all these are more like NATO Olive Green (as described in the B.Burnell article) rather than Bronze Green:

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on March 21, 2018, 03:00:10 AM

QuotePaint Schemes

Several paint-schemes are known to have been used on WE.177. For live operational rounds of both Type A and Type B, an overall white with orange and yellow bands was used (early paint-scheme from the 1960s). The Royal Navy also used a similar scheme, although there may have been minor differences. When both Services adopted a NATO standard colour scheme in the 1970's an overall olive green was used, with the appropriate markings. Drill weapons, or training rounds used by the RAF for loading and flight drills were a dark Oxford blue. The Royal Navy used overall white with a variety of black markings, until both Services later adopted a NATO standard olive green for training rounds, possibly in the late 1970's. Most of the examples of WE.177 training rounds in museums use this olive green paint scheme. The entry-into-service of the Type C weapon was much later than the others, and there is no hard evidence that this weapon used the earlier paint schemes of overall white and overall blue.

Interesting that they fitted the early operational rounds with ejector seats, quite a few of them even....  ;) ;D

Regards
Kit

Weaver

If I was riding an atomic bomb, I think the thing I'd want most in the world is an ejection seat. Just think: if Major Kong had had one, he might still be with us today! ;)

- Indiana Jones

Rick Lowe

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 18, 2018, 04:41:37 AM
Quote from: scooter on March 18, 2018, 04:29:23 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 18, 2018, 04:16:03 AM
The 'On the beach' movie was just as depressing as the book.

To get REALLY depressed, try 'Down to a Sunless Sea' though, only as a book I think. You'll feel like jumping off the world after that.  :-\

According to Wiki, a movie version is in production with Morgan Freeman as president.

Terrific, I can hardly wait...................NOT!

Oh, for Heaven's sake!
Can't they think of making something that's a bit more upbeat and positive?! :banghead: :banghead:
Surely there's enough of this sort of thing going on in real life, aren't movies supposed to be escapism, after all? :angry:

A very Tired and Grumpy Rick.

scooter

Quote from: Rick Lowe on March 24, 2018, 03:01:49 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 18, 2018, 04:41:37 AM
Quote from: scooter on March 18, 2018, 04:29:23 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 18, 2018, 04:16:03 AM
The 'On the beach' movie was just as depressing as the book.

To get REALLY depressed, try 'Down to a Sunless Sea' though, only as a book I think. You'll feel like jumping off the world after that.  :-\

According to Wiki, a movie version is in production with Morgan Freeman as president.

Terrific, I can hardly wait...................NOT!

Oh, for Heaven's sake!
Can't they think of making something that's a bit more upbeat and positive?! :banghead: :banghead:
Surely there's enough of this sort of thing going on in real life, aren't movies supposed to be escapism, after all? :angry:

A very Tired and Grumpy Rick.
:thumbsup:
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

zenrat

Ready Player One premieres soon.  While it is set in the future it references cold war era geek culture.  Well, the book does.  I have a horrible feeling the film makers might have moved everything forwards in an attempt to attract a younger (than me) audience.
Hope not as I really enjoyed the book and it has a happy ending which should cheer up Rick.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Rick Lowe

Quote from: zenrat on March 25, 2018, 01:55:01 AM
it has a happy ending which should cheer up Rick.

:thumbsup:
Cheers, Fred - we can but hope!  ;)

McColm

What if the Air Ministry had chosen the Canadair CP-28 Argus instead of the Avro Shackleton in the maritime patrol role and had gone with Rolls-Royce Tyne engines instead of Wright R3350 ?

AeroplaneDriver

Going through old pics on Photobucket I found a few old builds that fit the timeframe and theme...maybe this is a good place to post them...

RN Sea Jaguar FRS.1

RAF Germany Scorpion FG.1

RAF Hunter F.14

And one of my favorite builds ever that unfortunately fell victim of a move...USAF F-13 Raven Satellite Killer
So I got that going for me...which is nice....